News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Jenny72

I just wanted to pop on to say that I was almost relieved to find this forum. I don’t know a lot of people who are interested in Disney stuff, and I thought I must be the only person who was sad at the direction it’s been taking. I lived in Florida when I was a little kid, and went to Epcot shortly after its opening. I remember all the originals. What strikes me so much is how Disney took ideas that were in the popular imagination and made them something you could experience viscerally. Pirates, dinosaurs, space travel, fairy tales, underwater travel – yes, technically some of these were also books and movies but that wasn’t really the point. It was about stuff that everyone could imagine. Big ideas.

I feel like movies are so “small” compared to that. When I take my kids, it’s so much better to say, “look, dinosaurs!” than it is to say “look, characters from a movie you’ve never seen. I can’t remember the name.” I’m happy to say that my son’s favorite park is Epcot, and his favorite rides are (surprising even me) Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, and (ok, less surprisingly) Test Track. I don’t know when I’ll let them watch Guardians of the Galaxy, but not for a while. It’s not going to be meaningful for them. I do understand that it’s not that way for everyone, but these movies are just so…..small.

(Also agree about the cell phones, btw.)

The_Jobu

I just wanted to pop on to say that I was almost relieved to find this forum. I don’t know a lot of people who are interested in Disney stuff, and I thought I must be the only person who was sad at the direction it’s been taking. I lived in Florida when I was a little kid, and went to Epcot shortly after its opening. I remember all the originals. What strikes me so much is how Disney took ideas that were in the popular imagination and made them something you could experience viscerally. Pirates, dinosaurs, space travel, fairy tales, underwater travel – yes, technically some of these were also books and movies but that wasn’t really the point. It was about stuff that everyone could imagine. Big ideas.

I feel like movies are so “small” compared to that. When I take my kids, it’s so much better to say, “look, dinosaurs!” than it is to say “look, characters from a movie you’ve never seen. I can’t remember the name.” I’m happy to say that my son’s favorite park is Epcot, and his favorite rides are (surprising even me) Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, and (ok, less surprisingly) Test Track. I don’t know when I’ll let them watch Guardians of the Galaxy, but not for a while. It’s not going to be meaningful for them. I do understand that it’s not that way for everyone, but these movies are just so…..small.

(Also agree about the cell phones, btw.)

Welcome to WDWmagic!

po1998

People complain about 15 minute rides now.. they are "uncomfortable" for that duration. Whether it's the aging of the population, less physical health, or just the heffalumping of the average guest, longer rides are passe.. and not just at Disney.
So according to your post above, the average guest doesn't want 15 minute attractions. Instead, are they are okay with a 3 minute attraction and a wait of 45-90 minutes(or more) standing in a queue?

IMO, long live HM, PoTC, SSE, IASW, CoP, and any other attraction that is longer than 3 minutes.

Maeryk

So according to your post above, the average guest doesn't want 15 minute attractions. Instead, are they are okay with a 3 minute attraction and a wait of 45-90 minutes(or more) standing in a queue?

IMO, long live HM, PoTC, SSE, IASW, CoP, and any other attraction that is longer than 3 minutes.
No clue on "average". Just know there are complaints.

EricsBiscuit

The steamboat has one of the best wait times to attraction duration ratios ever if you time it right! Nothing like drinking an ICEe (which they don't have anymore, now it's the raspberry and blue slushies but whatever) and hearing the whistle blow, bells chime and boiler roar while peacefully lapping the RoA

Incomudro

It's the evolution of the medium used to convey it. Once upon a time you took your homework home on a small slate you carried back and forth to school. Then everyone got paper, and pencils. Then pens, then typewriters, then computers... same homework, same concepts, just a different medium. I'm often surprised how much of my 13yo daughter's curriculum is based around dynamic media, rather than just a book. Of course, it makes sense now. The film strips *BEEP* click, or movies we used to see in school, can now be directly disseminated to each student via their computer or cell phone.. allowing them to absorb it at their own pace.

I _do_ think everyone having a cell phone in their hand has done something to attention spans though. How many people do you know who check it obsessively, even when nothing is going on? The issue there is it's a two way communication. If you are an avid book reader, nothing in the book is going to change between you putting it down and picking it up next time. But you might have mail, or a friend request, or a neat picture of someones breakfast on your phone.. and it could happen AT ANY TIME! So we obsess about the darned things.

Many people (too many) can't even engage in the act of driving without the distraction of checking things on their phones.
I'm not talking about being available for an incoming emergency call.
I'm talking about viewing Facebook and other websites while driving!
I take an express bus from central NJ to and from NYC and any random glance I take out the window and down into the surrounding vehicles yields people engaging in this form of distraction.
Scary.
So yes, if one does not have the attention span to pay attention to the act of driving - something important to the safety and lives of themselves and others...

Herah

It's the evolution of the medium used to convey it. Once upon a time you took your homework home on a small slate you carried back and forth to school. Then everyone got paper, and pencils. Then pens, then typewriters, then computers... same homework, same concepts, just a different medium. I'm often surprised how much of my 13yo daughter's curriculum is based around dynamic media, rather than just a book. Of course, it makes sense now. The film strips *BEEP* click, or movies we used to see in school, can now be directly disseminated to each student via their computer or cell phone.. allowing them to absorb it at their own pace.

I _do_ think everyone having a cell phone in their hand has done something to attention spans though. How many people do you know who check it obsessively, even when nothing is going on? The issue there is it's a two way communication. If you are an avid book reader, nothing in the book is going to change between you putting it down and picking it up next time. But you might have mail, or a friend request, or a neat picture of someones breakfast on your phone.. and it could happen AT ANY TIME! So we obsess about the darned things.
We used to "ground" our kids by swapping their smartphone for a basic phone for a few days. Now we can't, because they need it to submit their homework.

And those same work/life issues that affect me when I can officially work from home, are affecting the kids... Homework is quite often due at midnight, which is OK - but this year my daughter had homework due in the middle of spring break.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Is anyone ever going to finally just talk about this ride and what technologies it could possibly use? It's probably going to be an amazing E-Ticket attraction. I'm just getting kind of sick of coming to a thread that's supposed to be talking about a new ride and all I see is people complaining because it's in the wrong park and Epcot isn't how it was 30 years ago...

Maeryk

Is anyone ever going to finally just talk about this ride and what technologies it could possibly use? It's probably going to be an amazing E-Ticket attraction. I'm just getting kind of sick of coming to a thread that's supposed to be talking about a new ride and all I see is people complaining because it's in the wrong park and Epcot isn't how it was 30 years ago...

Probably, as soon as more details emerge. At the moment, all we know is concept art. And that it might be a new load/unload system, flying coaster style by Vekoma, and apparently, the current Energy building will be the queue, with the new ride being built behind it.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Probably, as soon as more details emerge. At the moment, all we know is concept art. And that it might be a new load/unload system, flying coaster style by Vekoma, and apparently, the current Energy building will be the queue, with the new ride being built behind it.

Oh wow, cool. I just feel like I've been going through over 30-40 pages of the same talk lol. Thank you for all that info!

The_Jobu

Can I interest you in one of WDWMagic's many other threads then?

No one knows for sure what's coming and plenty of people have tossed out possibilities already.

Or you might really enjoy the DISboards. Everything's MAGICAL there.

aprincessatlasst

Can I interest you in one of WDWMagic's many other threads then?

No one knows for sure what's coming and plenty of people have tossed out possibilities already.

Or you might really enjoy the DISboards. Everything's MAGICAL there.
:hilarious:
I read there too (dis) and just think seriously the pixie dust is crazy. Then I come here and feel like I am being yelled at by Grandpa saying "dang those kids and their rock n roll...back in my day..".:banghead: Is there a middle ground somewhere? FWIW I lean to this site as pixie dusters rarely seem to have correct info.

The_Jobu

:hilarious:
I read there too (dis) and just think seriously the pixie dust is crazy. Then I come here and feel like I am being yelled at by Grandpa saying "dang those kids and their rock n roll...back in my day..".:banghead: Is there a middle ground somewhere? FWIW I lean to this site as pixie dusters rarely seem to have correct info.

I'm not familiar with a middle ground forum, but they probably won't have our grandpas with all their insider information anyway ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As far as I know it's not a flyer. Standard on-the-track ride system with a few new ideas. If they work.

But I've been wrong before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom