News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

doctornick

I may have missed it, but do we have an opening timeframe for the theater? I would think it could potentially be build quickly (by Disney standards) given that a theater building is a fairly standard design and it will be backstage, so there is good access.

pilka214

Hunchback could be the next Les Mis on Broadway if Disney really wanted to. It needs to be dark, and they've proven they will do that on film, but for some reason just not on stage.

If they end up doing a dark version that does Victor Hugo's masterpiece justice, hands down Huncback. Not to mention that the score is out of this world as well. It could be a powerful production. Otherwise, Hercules or Princess and the Frog would translate as the next best two, seeing that there are already two awesome short-style musicals for Tangled and Aladdin. I believe that is the better decision than making an original production as those films are screaming to be on stage. I know I would pay to go see them live! It would also be cool if they would have a lottery system like at Tokyo.

I've seen a video of the Hunchback production they mounted at the La Jolla play house a few years back... it's genuinely incredible. no clue why it never went to broadway.

Daveeeeed

I've seen a video of the Hunchback production they mounted at the La Jolla play house a few years back... it's genuinely incredible. no clue why it never went to Broadway.
Wow!!! I'm so happy that you got to see it! My fear is that if they would do it for a theme park, they would not cross those lines that they did with that production. Obviously, they would have to tweak it a bit before it goes on either big stage, but it would be a surefire hit, on Broadway or The MK.

IveBeenJack

I really do admire your production value. You're studio is very clean and colorful and the editing is snappy. Welcome and keep making these videos.

Like you said, you do a great service of getting pretty accurate info out there for the non uber-Disney fans like us.

Oh, now you just need to make your avatar the DSNY logo!

Will do! Thanks for the kind words!!! And thanks for the warm welcome!

Daveeeeed

They should do a version of Big Band Beat because they could have live music and singers as well as Mickey and friends.
I like the idea of a show that is more of a revue - featuring songs from lots of Disney movies - rather than a show based on 1 particular movie. What about something like the original Steps in Time from DCA?

There's also the 2nd version of Steps in Time that was created to make it more "pop" after Michael Eisner didn't like the 1st version.

Or there's On the Record, the show that toured for a year or so. I know some people don't love the non-standard arrangements, but I happen to really like the way this show is put together.

Regardless, I would love whatever they put here to have live singers and a live band/orchestra. I think the live aspects make the shows much more enjoyable than when the performers are dancing to tracks.

From DCL, Disney still does a wonderful job with implementing multiple feature songs to a short production as with Believe, but they still pale in comparison to their feature shows like Aladdin (with the failed exception of Toy Story). It would be safer to bet with an original production of a full-length film than implementing multiple into a single show. As much as We'd all love Paris' new show to come to The MK, we've waited so long. It's time we receive our deserved original show.

Nevertheless, this may be the best announcement yet.
Princess and The Frog with less frog would be EPPPICCC. As with Hercules, Huncback, and even Mulan!!!

Daveeeeed

Will do! Thanks for the kind words!!! And thanks for the warm welcome!
You're a great speaker. Perhaps in the thumbnail for something not really confirmed by insiders you could say "Discussion" in the thumbnail when dealing with an idea like the Monsters Inc. Coaster. Lots of websites claim they know stuff, and some may be accurate, but they also use click bait so people read their articles with things that are either not likely to happen, or it just sounds like a good idea. WDWMagic is pretty cool with the fact of extremely accurate news, it's just for the more hardcore fans. I love that you're bringing it to an, especially more casual audience. Thanks for joining the website!

mm121

I may have missed it, but do we have an opening timeframe for the theater? I would think it could potentially be build quickly (by Disney standards) given that a theater building is a fairly standard design and it will be backstage, so there is good access.
havent heard one yet, but even if they started tomorrow the quickest would be 2 years, so probably looking at 2020 before the 50th

mikenatcity1

From DCL, Disney still does a wonderful job with implementing multiple feature songs to a short production as with Believe, but they still pale in comparison to their feature shows like Aladdin (with the failed exception of Toy Story). It would be safer to bet with an original production of a full-length film than implementing multiple into a single show. As much as We'd all love Paris' new show to come to The MK, we've waited so long. It's time we receive our deserved original show.

Nevertheless, this may be the best announcement yet.
Princess and The Frog with less frog would be EPPPICCC. As with Hercules, Huncback, and even Mulan!!!

I may be one of the few that really liked Toy Story on the Wonder :) The Golden Mickeys started as a theme park show, if I remember correctly!

Something they could do for the halloween season is Villains Tonight :) People love villains in general and now that it will no longer be on a cruise ship, they can put it there!

Jon81uk

PhillharMagic is also getting a bit long in the tooth. I think it's time a new show replaced it. One like the fantastic Mickey and the Magical Map at Disneyland.

I'd be happy with a 3D film show again, just reimagined with new/different songs. Then at least there is still a mixture of 3D and live action in the park.

Daveeeeed

I may be one of the few that really liked Toy Story on the Wonder :) The Golden Mickeys started as a theme park show, if I remember correctly!

Something they could do for the halloween season is Villains Tonight :) People love villains in general and now that it will no longer be on a cruise ship, they can put it there!
I think a version of The Golden Mickey's started in Hong Kong, but I have no idea how similar it is.

Villains Tonight! in my opinion is a very very good show. Yes, the acting and consumes are not perfect, but the story works really well and it is hilarious. I would love if a new version came, but it would be awesome if we could get an original show. They could even have it for the Halloween Party, and I think that would be so worth it.

IveBeenJack

You're a great speaker. Perhaps in the thumbnail for something not really confirmed by insiders you could say "Discussion" in the thumbnail when dealing with an idea like the Monsters Inc. Coaster. Lots of websites claim they know stuff, and some may be accurate, but they also use click bait so people read their articles with things that are either not likely to happen, or it just sounds like a good idea. WDWMagic is pretty cool with the fact of extremely accurate news, it's just for the more hardcore fans. I love that you're bringing it to an, especially more casual audience. Thanks for joining the website!

Cheers David! Taken on board, however Discussion doesn't read well in a tiny thumbnail, I always state in the thumbnail and title...Could Be or Might Be or Rumored.. So that way people should understand it's not confirmed. I never say Official or Confirmed unless it ACTUALLY is Lol Unlike ! hahahaha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom