News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

bstiles

For one, they have done a pretty good job seeing how the Monorails have lasted past their time safety wise. And two, they'll do with as little they are required to do, which is enough I suppose.
Really? I guess reduced monorail hours, pieces falling off of them, and overall stench and disrepair on the inside of the cabins is considered good upkeep? Like I said before I hope they do a better job of maintaining the gondolas then they have the monorails.

Monorail_Orange

Really? I guess reduced monorail hours, pieces falling off of them, and overall stench and disrepair on the inside of the cabins is considered good upkeep? Like I said before I hope they do a better job of maintaining the gondolas then they have the monorails.
The reduced hours had to do with the automation upgrade and beam maintenance. The pieces falling off have all been related to an external source, like a broken bus bar, that happened during operating hours. Yes, there have been some other breakdowns, but certainly nothing like the fire that happened on the Mark IV monorail. I think we hear about issues with the monorails far more often in this information age than in the past. Further, the cabins and even monorail exteriors have been, and are continuing to be addressed now. They never should have been allowed to get as bad as they did, but things seem to be improving now. My last point, guests of today, generally, are far less respectful of another's property than in the past, and are more likely to cause damage than before. That makes things harder to keep up with; not impossible, but certainly more difficult. The materials used in the gondolas appears to be almost exclusively hard materials; a quick wipe down and they'll be sparkling again. The monorail interiors have a mix of hard and soft surfaces that makes cleaning a bit more complicated than just a quick wipe down.

Daveeeeed

The reduced hours had to do with the automation upgrade and beam maintenance. The pieces falling off have all been related to an external source, like a broken bus bar, that happened during operating hours. Yes, there have been some other breakdowns, but certainly nothing like the fire that happened on the Mark IV monorail. I think we hear about issues with the monorails far more often in this information age than in the past. Further, the cabins and even monorail exteriors have been, and are continuing to be addressed now. They never should have been allowed to get as bad as they did, but things seem to be improving now. My last point, guests of today, generally, are far less respectful of another's property than in the past, and are more likely to cause damage than before. That makes things harder to keep up with; not impossible, but certainly more difficult. The materials used in the gondolas appears to be almost exclusively hard materials; a quick wipe down and they'll be sparkling again. The monorail interiors have a mix of hard and soft surfaces that makes cleaning a bit more complicated than just a quick wipe down.
Very well written I must say. I would also add that the resort as a whole has seen a disastrous amount of spending this century, but the resort as a whole (which includes the monorails) is going up. It wasn't just the monorails that were neglected. But they are obviously not in danger of harming anyone as people like to say.

Lift Blog

As in, a tower every 3/4 of a football field?

Yes. I based that on the Doppelmayr gondola we have where I work, which has one mid-station. I just ran the numbers for all the 8-passenger Doppelmayr gondolas in North America and average tower spacing ranges from 167' to 455' . Factors that affect this include topography, tower height and cabin density (capacity.) The placement of towers is in many ways an art rather than a science.

Last edited:

Minthorne

Yes. I based that on the Doppelmayr gondola we have where I work, which has one mid-station. I just ran the numbers for all the 8-passenger Doppelmayr gondolas in North America and average tower spacing ranges from 167' to 455' . Factors that affect this include topography, tower height and cabin density (capacity.) The placement of towers is in many ways an art rather than a science.

I just want to thank you for all the info. I'm excited about the gondolas. Have you ever been to Disney World and will you visit to check out the Skyliner when it is completed?

Lift Blog

I just want to thank you for all the info. I'm excited about the gondolas. Have you ever been to Disney World and will you visit to check out the Skyliner when it is completed?
I'm excited about the gondolas too! Only been to Disneyland for about two hours when my high school band was playing there. I normally visit as many lift construction projects as I can to get pictures for my blog. Ski areas are great because you can literally just walk up the mountain and check everything out. The guys who build these things are highly-skilled and work incredibly hard. If I don't get to WDW during construction, I certainly will when Skyliner opens. Who knows, I even might splurge and go into the parks!

JoeCamel

I'm excited about the gondolas too! Only been to Disneyland for about two hours when my high school band was playing there. I normally visit as many lift construction projects as I can to get pictures for my blog. Ski areas are great because you can literally just walk up the mountain and check everything out. The guys who build these things are highly-skilled and work incredibly hard. If I don't get to WDW during construction, I certainly will when Skyliner opens. Who knows, I even might splurge and go into the parks!
Here's how the O-Town bloggers do it.
https://www.adrenaline.com/helicopt...Lb4rUgp1Wf87jXNyLAAOcrkCZcQaoCQdIfhoCH87w_wcB

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do they have waivers to the TFR? Otherwise, minimum altitude over WDW is 3,001 feet.
small_4_3634.gif

Kamikaze

Does anyone have a ballpark on when this project might be completed.
Thank you

Around the time Riviera Resort opens, so 2019.

Reason being I can't see them opening the station with construction still going on around it, and they also won't open Riviera without the station. So they will either open at the same time, or the outdoor construction at Riviera will be finished and the station will open, but the rest of Riviera isn't quite done.

I'd imagine they want both projects done for SW:GE.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom