News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Maeryk

I think it's likely the same would apply to the boats. Walkers between the two parks are probably still going to have to go back through security at the opposite end. But good point about the gondolas remaining behind security. The only "disadvantage" that remains unsettled as far as travel time would be the CBR transfer station, and just how the Riviera station is managed (true transfer to separate line or same line with a boarding/deboarding station mid-line).

As to security.. I'm not sure about that. I kinda imagine you'll clear it leaving the resort.. everything else will be inside "the bubble" as it were, of security. Who knows though.. they have it separated at MK as well.. you clear it for monrail and boats, but walkers from Contemporary and the bus folks get sent through their own screening.. at least that's what I've been told.

Cmdr_Crimson

As to security.. I'm not sure about that. I kinda imagine you'll clear it leaving the resort.. everything else will be inside "the bubble" as it were, of security. Who knows though.. they have it separated at MK as well.. you clear it for monrail and boats, but walkers from Contemporary and the bus folks get sent through their own screening.. at least that's what I've been told.

They could also have an additional queue area that will have you bypass security since you went through it already at your resort and go directly to the other gondola area to get to the studios

Kamikaze

Ok, so, it looks like if I am at Epcot, and would like a quick straight line transport to Hollywood, these are not the gondolas for me? I feel like with all the stops it has to make, the bus would be a much better option, heck even the boat seems better. I don't like the no AC/ heat and am just envisioning people pressed in a claustrophobia's nightmare.

There is one transfer for this route. You would go International Gateway -> Riviera Station (passthrough station) -> CBR Station. Disembark here. CBR Station -> DHS Station. The lines themselves do not stop. Almost ever.

Its going to be the fastest route between the two parks unless you walk quickly (or run). I believe its 1.25 miles between the two parks, so at average walking speed (3mph) thats a 20-25 minute trip. The Skyliner will absolutely be faster than that. More like 10-12 minutes.

The boats don't factor in, that trip is slower than walking (again, depending on pace) and without a doubt slower than the Skyliner.

Now, if you walk you also have to go through security again, which you won't have to do on the Skyliner. We haven't heard of them switching security on the Friendship boats so that you pass security before boarding them, but thats possible. I believe the Friendship launch at the IG is inside what will be the new secure perimeter. (Never take them so I don't know 100% - too slow for me), so they would have to have security either when you get on them or when you get off at the IG.

Last edited:

Monorail_Orange

There is one transfer for this route. You would go International Gateway -> Riviera Station (passthrough station) -> CBR Station. Disembark here. CBR Station -> DHS Station. The lines themselves do not stop. Almost ever.

Its going to be the fastest route between the two parks unless you walk quickly (or run). I believe its 1.25 miles between the two parks, so at average walking speed (3mph) thats a 20-25 minute trip. The Skyliner will absolutely be faster than that. More like 10-12 minutes.

The boats don't factor in, that trip is slower than walking (again, depending on pace) and without a doubt slower than the Skyliner.

Now, if you walk you also have to go through security again, which you won't have to do on the Skyliner. We haven't heard of them switching security on the Friendship boats so that you pass security before boarding them, but thats possible. I believe the Friendship launch at the IG is inside what will be the new secure perimeter. (Never take them so I don't know 100% - too slow for me), so they would have to have security either when you get on them or when you get off at the IG.
This. At IG, the Friendship dock should be inside the new security checkpoint, from all appearances. Also, I recall reading on here not that long ago that security would be pushed further out from the park entrance at DHS, which would also tend to put that Friendship dock inside the secure area. Hence, I believe they would start screening guests at the resort docks, so you would remain in the secure area on the boats, just like with the gondolas.

Kamikaze

This. At IG, the Friendship dock should be inside the new security checkpoint, from all appearances. Also, I recall reading on here not that long ago that security would be pushed further out from the park entrance at DHS, which would also tend to put that Friendship dock inside the secure area. Hence, I believe they would start screening guests at the resort docks, so you would remain in the secure area on the boats, just like with the gondolas.

I don't know if it makes more sense to screen at the resort docks or screen as soon as they disembark at DHS/IG. Less staff that way. The boats aren't that often that there would be a backup.

I guess with the monorail they don't mind screening at the resort, so they may choose to screen at the docks in the same way here.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I'm glad to hear this. I don't know that I'd want to be stuck in one of these, even for five minutes, with some people just for personal safety / comfort reasons. I remember riding in the Tempozan Ferris Wheel in Osaka. The cars were very visible to others cars when you loaded, but the couple that boarded just before us didn't seem to care that they were giving everyone a free show. I would hate to be trapped in a gondola with that. haha

Hey, they could always start a WDW Gondola Mile High club ........ ;)

bstiles

I'm not going to read over 200 pages of posts but how is disneys management expect to upkeep maintenance on these gondolas when they can't barely keep up maintenance on the monorails.

Daveeeeed

I'm not going to read over 200 pages of posts but how is disneys management expect to upkeep maintenance on these gondolas when they can't barely keep up maintenance on the monorails.
For one, they have done a pretty good job seeing how the Monorails have lasted past their time safety wise. And two, they'll do with as little they are required to do, which is enough I suppose.

Tyler161

I can't stop thinking of the possibility for more gondolas in the future. Would connecting to Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs be the natural next step?

Daveeeeed

I can't stop thinking of the possibility for more gondolas in the future. Would connecting to Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs be the natural next step?
They seem to be using it to connect resort guests to the parks. A transfer line for the parks/shopping only doesn't seem like what they have in mind. My guess is that they will use a different form of transportation.
I think what would be more likely would be to connect Animal Kingdom Lodge and/or Coronado to Disney's Animal Kingdom. I hope you are right!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom