Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Mike S

If they put in a ride like Mr. Toad's themed to Monster's Inc or Peter Pan themed to The Incredibles, I can only imagine the outrage over the lack of inovation, low capacity, and doing it on the cheap.
If there were like 5 or 6 of them all at once it would've been fine.

Roakor

I am assuming they are keeping the Chinese Theater exterior for the ride? Anyone know for sure? It would seem silly not to but you just never know what they are going to replace these days.

Maeryk

I am assuming they are keeping the Chinese Theater exterior for the ride? Anyone know for sure? It would seem silly not to but you just never know what they are going to replace these days.

Rumors seem to indicate that the substructure will at least remain the same, though cosmetic changes to the facade may happen.

I was worried when the park icon went to ToT instead of the theater when they took down that godawful hat, but it appears, at least at this point, that the theater concept is remaining, which makes sense.. considering the premise is the premiere of a new mickey short.

Magenta Panther

Let's be honest here, current Disney would not even consider making a Mickey Mouse ride if it weren't for the success of these recent cartoons!

I sincerely doubt that. Mickey is the company's trademark. He sells tons of merch (Iger's gold standard for an IP's importance). He's all over the parks in one form or another. I doubt the success of the new shorts is the reason the ride got okayed. The REAL reason is probably that the GMR was aging and costly to maintain and run and updating it properly would cost too much money, which Iger despises unless the money is being spent on one of his idiot acquisitions. Much better to just gut the thing, avoid AAs and stick in a bunch of screens. Besides, it's pretty clear that TDO wants to dump the Old Hollywood aspect of DHS altogether to stick in more merchandisable IPs. Because the parks are just venues for merchandise, after all. The Robert Iger Company, ladies and gentlemen! :rolleyes::grumpy::mad::(

Maeryk

I sincerely doubt that. Mickey is the company's trademark. He sells tons of merch (Iger's gold standard for an IP's importance). He's all over the parks in one form or another. I doubt the success of the new shorts is the reason the ride got okayed. The REAL reason is probably that the GMR was aging and costly to maintain and run and updating it properly would cost too much money, which Iger despises unless the money is being spent on one of his idiot acquisitions. Much better to just gut the thing, avoid AAs and stick in a bunch of screens. Besides, it's pretty clear that TDO wants to dump the Old Hollywood aspect of DHS altogether to stick in more merchandisable IPs. Because the parks are just venues for merchandise, after all. The Robert Iger Company, ladies and gentlemen! :rolleyes::grumpy::mad::(

Also keep in mind Mickey's copyright has already been extended a couple of time.. fundamentally changing copyright law in the process. I would not at all be surprised if this is part of setting the ground for it to happen again, continuing to keep him out of public domain. While Disney may have the lawyers and money to keep changing copyright duration law forever, I suspect they are a belt and suspenders legal team when it comes to stuff like that.. new look, new style, effectively new IP and branding... 2023 is when the copyright ends as it stands now.

Magenta Panther

Also keep in mind Mickey's copyright has already been extended a couple of time.. fundamentally changing copyright law in the process. I would not at all be surprised if this is part of setting the ground for it to happen again, continuing to keep him out of public domain. While Disney may have the lawyers and money to keep changing copyright duration law forever, I suspect they are a belt and suspenders legal team when it comes to stuff like that.. new look, new style, effectively new IP and branding... 2023 is when the copyright ends as it stands now.

I hope Disney never loses Mickey to the public domain. I shudder to think what some people would do to him. Copyright laws should have exceptions in a case like this. As long as a character is active, that character's home company should retain rights to it in perpetuity in my opinion.

tirian

I believe you are right. It was sometime in the early 2000s (after House of Mouse maybe?). It's a variation on the Mickey we were used to from the 90s, and that Mickey looks most similar to the Mickey from the early 40s, which I think is the best Mickey Mouse look with his pupil eyes. As the 50s approached, Mickey's model (as did his cartoons), rapidly declined in quality. IMO, the best mouse design was his classic one with the pie eyes/dot eyes, with the design from Fantasia and the 1939/1940 comics coming in right behind.
I agree with you there. It's also why I do like the look of the new Mickey cartoons: they're a fun update of the classic 30s pie-eyed Mickey. But they're also badly animated and a bit too "momentary" for an attraction that lasts years.

If this Mickey were relegated to just the TV show and march, I wouldn't feel so strongly against it. But this is his first real ride, and Bob "IP" Iger decided it should be an extended commercial for the currently running TV show. That's the rub.

Brer Oswald

Mickey's been treated nothing more than a corporate symbol for the past decades before the shorts. Trust me, they had no interest in do anything, and I mean ANYTHING before Paul Rudish proposed the shorts.

Magenta Panther

Mickey's been treated nothing more than a corporate symbol for the past decades before the shorts. Trust me, they had no interest in do anything, and I mean ANYTHING before Paul Rudish proposed the shorts.

What about Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and its various spin-offs? Those have been very successful too, and pre-date the shorts.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Do you think this attraction came to be solely because of the approaching "public domain" licensing? And Disney creating the ride for further justification in keeping Mickey within the company?

Maeryk

Do you think this attraction came to be solely because of the approaching "public domain" licensing? And Disney creating the ride for further justification in keeping Mickey within the company?

The thought has crossed my mind. But I think the push on the shorts for the last couple years has a lot to with it too.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The thought has crossed my mind. But I think the push on the shorts for the last couple years has a lot to with it too.

True. I guess if it was the sole reason Imagineering would have be more likely to give us a Steamboat Willie ride.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom