Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Jones14

IMG_3981.JPG
IMG_3980.JPG

These two are really not that different. If you want to be upset about it taking over Great Movie Ride, I'm right there with you, but let's not pretend this aesthetic is some tragic and drastic shift from the "real" Mickey Mouse.

Sir_Cliff

I never seen that many people divided over the Mickey Mouse design until now. Most people didn't really mind the look since 2013 until the announcement. And some of the new shorts are actually good to watch. I loved the one where it was set in The Netherlands and Potatoland. Not all of the new Mickey shorts are grossout.
I must admit that I was barely aware of the new shorts until now, as I suspect most people still are. Whatever their other virtues, visually they're so ugly. Kind of the antithesis of what Disney usually goes for in their animation. As well as that, Mickey's visual appeal is largely based on the fact that he's a series of circles. It seems on the new cartoons they're trying to puncture that with as many jagged angles as they can add.

@brb1006 Skip to about 5:35

(Credit: Inside the Magic)

Is it just me or does that scene at 4:21 look like Goofy is driving you to Rio de Janeiro?

SorcererMC

View attachment 215836 View attachment 215837
These two are really not that different. If you want to be upset about it taking over Great Movie Ride, I'm right there with you, but let's not pretend this aesthetic is some tragic and drastic shift from the "real" Mickey Mouse.

No offense, but the aesthetic of these images are radically different to the trained eye. The proportion, clean lines, and symmetry of 'classic' Mickey (eg the width of the face = ~2 ears using the 'thumb and pencil' method) have been disregarded. New Mickey's shoes are larger, nearly the same size of Mickey's face from his snout. His mouth is larger, the head and ears are not as circular nor symmetrical, and his body is shorter. The lines have been thickened to create the illusion of depth, but the result is that Mickey appears malleable (which is good for animation), but he lacks 'weight'. Altogether the new Mickey is somewhat misshapen and lacks balance; therefore the new Mickey is not as likely to be perceived as aesthetically pleasing (which is fine for the animated shorts, but I think they ought to slightly modify it for the ride).

SCOTLORR

Ok so yes, it stings to lose GMR. But moving forward, this park is going to be in better shape with this as the "headliner attraction" if you will, based on what the future park identity will be.

By late 2019, there will be 5 well developed areas of the park formerly known as DHS. Hollywood Blvd, complete with this new Mickey Minnie Ride, Sunset Blvd staying as is (God-willing...), Muppets Courtyard, Toy Story Land which, like it or not, adds a much needed family aspect, and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Love the name) as the park's anchor. This gives us a total of 9 well-developed attractions to jump start this new era: Mickey Minnie Ride, ToT, RnRc, Slinky Coaster, Alien Saucers, TSMM, SW Battle Escape, SW Millenium Falcon, and Muppet Vision. This does not include Star Tours as it's hard to believe this will be around much past the opening of SWL.

This leaves two area left to develop: Animation Courtyard and Echo Lake. If Disney does this right, they will announce plans for these areas at the next D23 Expo in 2019, just before the opening of SWL. Although losing GMR is the nail in the coffin of MGM, I'm very excited to experience the future of the park. It looks like it's going to be a blast.

brb1006

I must admit that I was barely aware of the new shorts until now, as I suspect most people still are. Whatever their other virtues, visually they're so ugly. Kind of the antithesis of what Disney usually goes for in their animation. As well as that, Mickey's visual appeal is largely based on the fact that he's a series of circles. It seems on the new cartoons they're trying to puncture that with as many jagged angles as they can add.

Is it just me or does that scene at 4:21 look like Goofy is driving you to Rio de Janeiro?
When I was at WDW back in 2015, they had a channel where they aired the new shorts non-stop.

Mike S

Ok so yes, it stings to lose GMR. But moving forward, this park is going to be in better shape with this as the "headliner attraction" if you will, based on what the future park identity will be.

By late 2019, there will be 5 well developed areas of the park formerly known as DHS. Hollywood Blvd, complete with this new Mickey Minnie Ride, Sunset Blvd staying as is (God-willing...), Muppets Courtyard, Toy Story Land which, like it or not, adds a much needed family aspect, and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Love the name) as the park's anchor. This gives us a total of 9 well-developed attractions to jump start this new era: Mickey Minnie Ride, ToT, RnRc, Slinky Coaster, Alien Saucers, TSMM, SW Battle Escape, SW Millenium Falcon, and Muppet Vision. This does not include Star Tours as it's hard to believe this will be around much past the opening of SWL.

This leaves two area left to develop: Animation Courtyard and Echo Lake. If Disney does this right, they will announce plans for these areas at the next D23 Expo in 2019, just before the opening of SWL. Although losing GMR is the nail in the coffin of MGM, I'm very excited to experience the future of the park. It looks like it's going to be a blast.
A Pixar Place with Fantasyland style dark rides would've been family as well and could've even included Ratatouille.

Pedro Soto

Well said my friend :) things are looking bright for Hollywood Studios

SCOTLORR

A Pixar Place with Fantasyland style dark rides would've been family as well and could've even included Ratatouille.
Absolutely. But at this point, it seems a bit redundant to continue to lurk on that topic. They went with Toy Story Land. Yes, it could have been better, but it'll be a fun place to go for families with little ones. A break from the thrills of Sunset and Star Wars Land.

Mike S

Absolutely. But at this point, it seems a bit redundant to continue to lurk on that topic. They went with Toy Story Land. Yes, it could have been better, but it'll be a fun place to go for families with little ones. A break from the thrills of Sunset and Star Wars Land.
Whatever. If anything it could make other lines theoretically shorter.

Mickey5150

I'm extremely excited about this. Think of all the rides in all the parks and realize never has the been a Mickey Mouse ride. Ever. I could care less where they put the ride I would be all for it. It all started with a mouse and that mouse should have a ride at a Disney theme park. I don't care that it's replacing gmr since this will put Mickey's ride at the end of "main street, a place of honor it deserves.

JD2000

This will be a controversial opinion, but i'm not crazy about the new POTC at Shanghai. It looks fun and solid, but more video than i'm comfortable with. At least there are also a lot of well designed sets and a couple of nice animatronics. But I far prefer the original concept at DL, DLP, TDL or even WDW. Same with Gringotts and Kong (which also have a few very nicely done physical scenes). It is also a minor gripe with Navi River (which is at least mostly physical). No matter how good and well executed video becomes, i've never been satisfied with it a a substitute for practical show scenes.
You are definitely not the only individual who believes that.

jt04

I have changed my mind and am rooting for an Indiana Jones land at the Studios also. Phase 5 I would guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom