News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Tate-316

I don't like this new trend at Epcot. I am all about evolution, updating, and re-imagining. But "the powers that be" seem to have lost their vision of what differentiates Epcot. Being educated and entertained at the same time. Will the new UoE deliver on maintaining the education aspect? Doesn't look like it if after what they did with Maelstrom/Frozen and what they look to be doing with Ratatouille/France... Will the new China movie include Mulan? Will Mission Space include Wall-E or Tron or similar?

Lots of entertainment, no one can argue that. Lots of immersion, no one can argue that either. But what happened to learning a little something along the way? What happened to piquing your interest in science, culture, art, history, or exploration? That's what the orginal EPCOT Center is rooted in. If Imagineering can no longer do all of this without the assistance of large franchise characters and stories to drive attendance then Imagineering has lost its way. If the attraction story is no longer concerned with piquing interest in science, culture, art, history, or exploration, then Disney management has lost its way. If Disney World customers don't demand attractions that can deliver on a slightly higher academic ground (at least at Epcot), then "we" have lost our way as some zombie-like society that is attracted to loud noises and shiny objects.

Every other major theme park in the world can deliver on pure entertainment. Walt's vision of Epcot (that is Walt of Walt Disney World; remember that guy?) was much, much different. (start at 10:55 ). Clearly it was never possible to deliver on Walt's original vision of Epcot without Walt, but Epcot opened and differentiated itself from the rest of the pack. It has been devolving since. I am no defender of any dated attraction NOT being updated or re-imagined, as this is directly aligned with Walt's vision for all his parks. I am however a staunch opponent of homogenizing park attractions with movie franchises in a way that diminishes the academic/education differentiators. The new Frozen Maelstrom should be in Fantasyland. GotG belongs in Hollywood Studios or some other land/park. Ratatouille... well if Impressions de France becomes a memory to make way for this, I'm going to seriously lose my mental and have a really mean face next time I'm at Epcot.

The_Jobu

I don't like this new trend at Epcot. I am all about evolution, updating, and re-imagining. But "the powers that be" seem to have lost their vision of what differentiates Epcot. Being educated and entertained at the same time. Will the new UoE deliver on maintaining the education aspect? Doesn't look like it if after what they did with Maelstrom/Frozen and what they look to be doing with Ratatouille/France... Will the new China movie include Mulan? Will Mission Space include Wall-E or Tron or similar?

Lots of entertainment, no one can argue that. Lots of immersion, no one can argue that either. But what happened to learning a little something along the way? What happened to piquing your interest in science, culture, art, history, or exploration? That's what the orginal EPCOT Center is rooted in. If Imagineering can no longer do all of this without the assistance of large franchise characters and stories to drive attendance then Imagineering has lost its way. If the attraction story is no longer concerned with piquing interest in science, culture, art, history, or exploration, then Disney management has lost its way. If Disney World customers don't demand attractions that can deliver on a slightly higher academic ground (at least at Epcot), then "we" have lost our way as some zombie-like society that is attracted to loud noises and shiny objects.

Every other major theme park in the world can deliver on pure entertainment. Walt's vision of Epcot (that is Walt of Walt Disney World; remember that guy?) was much, much different. (start at 10:55 ). Clearly it was never possible to deliver on Walt's original vision of Epcot without Walt, but Epcot opened and differentiated itself from the rest of the pack. It has been devolving since. I am no defender of any dated attraction NOT being updated or re-imagined, as this is directly aligned with Walt's vision for all his parks. I am however a staunch opponent of homogenizing park attractions with movie franchises in a way that diminishes the academic/education differentiators. The new Frozen Maelstrom should be in Fantasyland. GotG belongs in Hollywood Studios or some other land/park. Ratatouille... well if Impressions de France becomes a memory to make way for this, I'm going to seriously lose my mental **** and have a really mean face next time I'm at Epcot.

Last I heard Impressions was safe. Hopefully that's true.

21stamps

CF hates dark rides. Period, full stop. They grudgingly do some scaffolded walkthroughs now and then, but they have zero love for enclosed rides. First thing they did when they bought Dorney was (some think conveniently) get rid of the bumper cars and log flume, open up the back of the musik express, and uncover every ride they could.

Musik Express is one of my all time favorite rides. Opening up the back would be horrible!! I'm scratching Dorney Park off of our CF tour ;)

Luckily we still have our bumper cars, one log flume, and a dark shooting ride.

The_Jobu

Nah, I prefer the new concept rather than shoving it in RnRC.

That's fair, but you have to admit it's lined up nicely.

-The rumour is it might be a launch coaster, and the Guardian's gimmick is that the main guy listens to 70s music
-RnRC is a launch coaster with a gimmick of a song from a setlist playing while you ride

Plus theming wouldn't be so intrusive.

Mike S

That's fair, but you have to admit it's lined up nicely.

-The rumour is it might be a launch coaster, and the Guardian's gimmick is that the main guy listens to 70s music
-RnRC is a launch coaster with a gimmick of a song from a setlist playing while you ride

Plus theming wouldn't be so intrusive.
If this ends up as nothing more than a RnRC clone I'll be severely disappointed.

Last edited:

LorangeJuice

McDonald's does not own Chipotle. They had an interest in the company years ago which has since been sold.

The bolded they are absolutely going to do. They even said as much in the announcement.

As far as this being a 'giant thematic/branding mismatch', you don't know that to be the case. You are making assumptions. Remember that they cannot use the word 'Marvel' at all.

Oh, no! You got me! LOL

I didn't do my research on non-Disney related things and posted it on a Dis Board! The horror!

Your points mean nothing when it comes to separate brands and cohesive themeing in theme parks. Perhaps this is why you glossed over my ESPN point?

Do the movie posters for GoTG say Disney or Marvel? The comic books?

Do the movie posters for Moana say Marvel or Disney?

Disney's SportsCenter, anyone? How about Marvel's SportsCenter?

One owner. Different businesses. Different brands because they are different creative sources. One not necessarily better than the other but different. If that difference is enough to defeat a cohesive THEME for an area of a THEME park, then that IP shouldn't just be shoved in there. See my ESPN example. If Disney doesn't shove ESPN in EPCOT, perhaps they shouldn't shove Marvel in either.

I may be making an assumption, but I'd like to think of it more as an evidence-based hypothesis. Nemo and Friends aren't teaching me much about oceans and conservation. Anna and Elsa sure as heck aren't teaching me about Norway.

Last edited:

Maeryk

Oh, no! You got me! LOL

I didn't do my research on non-Disney related things and posted it on a Dis Board! The horror!

Your points mean nothing when it comes to separate brands and cohesive themeing in theme parks. Perhaps this is why you glossed over my ESPN point?

Do the movie posters for GoTG say Disney or Marvel? The comic books?

Do the movie posters for Moana say Marvel or Disney?

Disney's SportsCenter, anyone? How about Marvel's SportsCenter?

One owner. Different businesses. Different brands because they are from different creative sources. One not necessarily better than the other but different. If that difference is enough to defeat a cohesive THEME for an area of a THEME park, then that IP shouldn't just be shoved in there. See my ESPN example. If Disney doesn't shove ESPN in EPCOT, perhaps they shouldn't shove Marvel in either.

Lord.. that would be horrible. Like shoving lucasfilm, pixar, disney, and abc stuff into a theme park and expecting people to accept it! next thing you'll know, someone will think Planet Hollywood should be there! LOL.

sedati

Marvel has been doing STEM challenges for years.

Pretty much every Marvel story has a tie to science and engineering. You can't have even tipped your toe into the MCU and not notice that half the characters are scientists, engineers, doctors etc. Yes it's taken to a fantastical level, but it's roots are always in the real world. I'm certain that there are young people today that are inspired by this, and the older generations don't really get to dictate what connects with the young.

BenJacobs

Is it supposed to be roller coaster or dark ride?

Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit in Epcot at all, as it isn't based on real life at all, but with a dark ride they might be able to make a storyline that makes it fit in Epcot a bit more, that gives it an edutainment factor - whereas if it were a roller coaster, we all know that whatever storyline there is won't fit in Epcot.

Maeryk

Is it supposed to be roller coaster or dark ride?

Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit in Epcot at all, as it isn't based on real life at all, but with a dark ride they might be able to make a storyline that makes it fit in Epcot a bit more, that gives it an edutainment factor - whereas if it were a roller coaster, we all know that whatever storyline there is won't fit in Epcot.

Why not both?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom