News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

LorangeJuice

You're right - its not complicated. You (and many others) are choosing to make it so.

Is Marvel a division of The Walt Disney Company, yes or no? (Yes)

Is there any difference whether its in one division or not? (No)

If you want to make the 'Epcot b about da learnin' argument, then try that. But since we don't know anything about the attraction, its hard one to make. But to somehow argue that a Marvel property isn't 'Disney' is flat out incorrect.

It's about branding and what one expects from that brand (the whole purpose of the trademark system). McDonald's acquired Chipotle, but the parent company didn't shove carnitas into their Big Macs. Amazon acquired Whole Foods but doesn't let you order their food on their website and ship it to you. Sure, they may go into the grocery business, but they don't take aspects of their new acquisition and shove it into what they already have just to do it. Look at what Disney did with ESPN. They incorporated the brand into the resort but didn't shove it into the parks in one giant thematic/branding mismatch!

Disney wants Marvel in the parks so bad because Universal already did it and succeeded! Specifically, Universal succeeded by not shoving Marvel into their original park! They also had a Superhero themed land in IOA. Because theming!

Disney wants Star Wars land so bad because Universal handed them their you-know-what with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

This is where LAZY is becoming the theme; not risk aversion lol!

Last edited:

The_Jobu

It's about branding and what one expects from that brand (the whole purpose of the trademark system). McDonald's acquired Chipotle, but the parent company didn't shove carnitas into their Big Macs. Amazon acquired Whole Foods but doesn't let you order their food on their website and ship it to you. Sure, they may go into the grocery business, but they don't take aspects of their new acquisition and shove it into what they already have just to do it. Look at what Disney did with ESPN. The incorporated the brand into the resort but didn't shove it into the parks in one giant thematic/branding mismatch!
McD's bought Chipotle??

That's just weird.

Good points BTW.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Your entire response is where the disconnect occurs in these conversations. I am not moaning for Epcot to never change or keep outdated attractions. I (and many other "doom and gloomers"), are all for change and updating the park. But more of the same (i.e fantasy based attractions) is not change when that concept already exists. My "moaning" is simply born out of the continual blurring of the lines in distinction between parks. Why not make all the resorts just like Polynesian since it is loved by many, just slap a different character on the entrance sign and call it "theme". . Make all the dining options and locations just like Chef Mickeys since everybody loves it, just give them different movie and character references. That is better, isnt it?

The tired rebuttal of claiming people are upset about Epcot loosing its "purity" is old. It is not even a proper response anymore, it is just a defense.

So you trot out another tired diatribe to do battle with another ? They why aren't you up in arms about having historical sections of the Magic Kingdom Frontierland or Liberty Square inhabited by fantasy figures ? You can't excuse an exception there without allowing it somewhere else without breaking your paradigm. I guess the Disney company will need to construct a category land to make you happy.

Kamikaze

No one's saying Marvel isn't owned by Disney, yet you keep clinging to that. They are owned by Disney but they are a seperate franchise when having discussions. There's a reason they are not rebranded as Disney comics.

And attempting to make a point that people want to learn would talk like that is just lazy. Step up if you're going to discuss something or at least have your attempts at insults make sense. Nerds looking to learn wouldn't talk like that, them thar ppl dat likes dem rides like I saw at the moviez do.
There. See how cheap that was?

You do realize that the post I originally replied to stated that Marvel wasn't Disney, right?

Last edited:

Kamikaze

It's about branding and what one expects from that brand (the whole purpose of the trademark system). McDonald's acquired Chipotle, but the parent company didn't shove carnitas into their Big Macs. Amazon acquired Whole Foods but doesn't let you order their food on their website and ship it to you. Sure, they may go into the grocery business, but they don't take aspects of their new acquisition and shove it into what they already have just to do it. Look at what Disney did with ESPN. They incorporated the brand into the resort but didn't shove it into the parks in one giant thematic/branding mismatch!

Disney wants Marvel in the parks so bad because Universal already did it and succeeded! Specifically, Universal succeeded by not shoving Marvel into their original park! They also had a Superhero themed land in IOA. Because theming!

McDonald's does not own Chipotle. They had an interest in the company years ago which has since been sold.

The bolded they are absolutely going to do. They even said as much in the announcement.

As far as this being a 'giant thematic/branding mismatch', you don't know that to be the case. You are making assumptions. Remember that they cannot use the word 'Marvel' at all.

The_Jobu

You do realize that the post I originally replied to stated 'Marvel isn't Disney' right?
No I said they're not interchangeable. Which they're not.
Changing goal posts and cheap insults not required.
Are we done here, or are you going to continue arguing the Marvel brand doesn't exist and we should all call them Disney comics?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Precisely.
Which is why we have some posters here who don't seem to get it, and will say things like "it's the same ride system..."
Disney is not about the ride system, and it's not about the most extreme thrill.

It wasn't. Up until Uni threw down the hammer with Potter.

Kman101

Your entire response is where the disconnect occurs in these conversations. I am not moaning for Epcot to never change or keep outdated attractions. I (and many other "doom and gloomers"), are all for change and updating the park. But more of the same (i.e fantasy based attractions) is not change when that concept already exists. My "moaning" is simply born out of the continual blurring of the lines in distinction between parks. Why not make all the resorts just like Polynesian since it is loved by many, just slap a different character on the entrance sign and call it "theme". . Make all the dining options and locations just like Chef Mickeys since everybody loves it, just give them different movie and character references. That is better, isnt it?

The tired rebuttal of claiming people are upset about Epcot loosing its "purity" is old. It is not even a proper response anymore, it is just a defense.

I'm quoting you but it's just a leap off ... look, characters have been in the park for decades now. It's not going away. Do I think it makes things "better"? No. But what does complaining about something they've implemented decades ago do?

I'd love an Epcot Center that holds to it's ideals and themes. But that park has long been dead. Not saying don't complain but it's time to rip the band-aid off and let go. They aren't going in the direction most of us want them to. There's always hope someday it will. I personally mourn what could be and what was but I've let it go. I know it's hard but it's time to move on IMHO. I know I'll get slayed by a few for saying that but it's pages of endless mourning of Epcot. There's NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, not saying there is, but keeping it going on and on isn't going to change what they're doing. Can we have a dedicated thread to mourning Epcot and leave this for those who want updates on the new attraction?

Maeryk

I'm quoting you but it's just a leap off ... look, characters have been in the park for decades now. It's not going away. Do I think it makes things "better"? No. But what does complaining about something they've implemented decades ago do?

I'd love an Epcot Center that holds to it's ideals and themes. But that park has long been dead. Not saying don't complain but it's time to rip the band-aid off and let go. They aren't going in the direction most of us want them to. There's always hope someday it will. I personally mourn what could be and what was but I've let it go. I know it's hard but it's time to move on IMHO. I know I'll get slayed by a few for saying that but it's pages of endless mourning of Epcot. There's NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, not saying there is, but keeping it going on and on isn't going to change what they're doing. Can we have a dedicated thread to mourning Epcot and leave this for those who want updates on the new attraction?

They haven't gone in that direction since before opening day.

It was supposed to be pavilions that evolved and changed, updated and refreshed. That never really happened. Now it is starting to happen, and the usual suspects are howling about it.

Rodan75

I'm still a "theme purist" but even I see the potential of this being pretty much a new build.

According to rumors anyway.

The Epcot theme purist is more a general comment that you can't argue with someone who has such a locked viewpoint. As I've mentioned before, I loved the old EPCOT and had a special connection to it when I was a kid. But now after years of neglect I can accept that it needs updating and that the mass majority of folks are okay with seeing the old EPCOT die. I would like to see an updated expression of Theme executed well in the the former Future World. I do not want to see them simply add disparate components absent an overriding theme.

I think USF is a good comparison to what is happening with Epcot, USF was allowed to rot for far too long with Fan Favorite attractions that were great, but didn't receive the care they deserved. Universal fans have generally accepted the changes over the last 5 years and attendance has gone up. Between what Uni is doing and what Disney did with the DCA Tower, they have to see that there path is clear to make major changes to Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom