News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Phroobar

I like John Lasseter and enjoy his work immensely, but...

It's more than just unprofessional, it should be grounds for termination. If an hourly Cast Member showed up for work at the Emporium stock room drunk, he'd be fired. If a 25 year old assistant manager at the Plaza Inn showed up for work drunk, she'd be fired. If a TDA Finance Director showed up for work drunk, he'd be fired.

So how does John Lasseter show up to work drunk, go out onstage in front of 7,000 paying customers drunk, stumble through his presentation standing next to the Chairman of the Parks division, and get to keep his job? Anyone care to defend that? Does Disney's HR department, many of whom were likely at D23 this weekend and in the audience, have a position on that? :confused:
Some people in a corporation are unfirable because of the huge amount of money they bring in. They may put him on paid vacation and give him paid rehab but termination would never happen. .

TP2000

I do like that this may be a continuation of the enhancements that were teased to us a while ago. The expanded boardwalk that goes around the Fun Wheel would be really nice. I just can't get behind slapping the Pixar name on everything which is lazy and tacky. Pixar Fun Wheel? Uh, hell no.

That element even showed up on the model at the first Blue Sky Cellar exhibit back in 2008.
sunwheel_model2008ah.jpg

TP2000

Some people in a corporation are unfirable because of the huge amount of money they bring in. They may put him on paid vacation and give him paid rehab but termination would never happen. .

The next time a CM shows up drunk to his shift and gets hauled off to HR to be fired, he should pull up Lasseter's D23 performance on his phone and show the HR rep that footage and ask if he can get the same workplace courtesies extended to Lasseter. :D

Phroobar

The next time a CM shows up drunk to his shift and gets hauled off to HR to be fired, he should pull up Lasseter's D23 performance on his phone and show the HR rep that footage and ask if he can get the same workplace courtesies extended to Lasseter. :D
They will say no. He is an executive. You are a minimum wage worker. A complaint was not filed against him.

Figmentisgod

I can't believe this is happening.I can't believe Paradise pier is doomed dot.I just can't believe this happened why is this happening how could this mean how could Disney ruin my favorite thing first it took tower and now they are taking my precious Paradise pier with California screaming and ruining it in forever I just can't believe it I think I want to die I want to kill myself

TP2000

I can't believe this is happening.I can't believe Paradise pier is doomed dot.I just can't believe this happened why is this happening how could this mean how could Disney ruin my favorite thing first it took tower and now they are taking my precious Paradise pier with California screaming and ruining it in forever I just can't believe it I think I want to die I want to kill myself

Cheer up, it ain't that bad.

But if you can make it over to the Anaheim Hilton, Lasseter is buying everyone a round (or four) to drown your sorrows in.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Welcome my sweet sweet troll.

Californian Elitist

Lol. At least with Cars Land, they created a purpose built, immersive land. Also,we ll never know what we re missing out on as we never got to experience the non IP Car Land although it did sound really cool.

Well... They didn't really create anything, in terms of the land itself (I'm excluding food, merchandise, the ideas for attractions, etc.). Radiator Springs already existed before it got to DCA.

Your last sentence is another main point. We'll never know what original ideas and concepts will do for the parks and guests because Disney refuses to go there anymore.

Californian Elitist

Please stop.

Phroobar

Seriously? Over react much? You want to die because a theme park wants to retheme a poorly themed area? I suggest your reexamine your life priorities and stop trolling this thread.

nevol

This is part of the reason why I thought Lasseter was joking.
I still can't fathom that this is indeed real, and it IS actually a project that is happening.

Kind of at a loss....

Who authorized and green lit this nonsense...?

-
chappie. Star wars land shows a true understanding of and dedication to GUEST EXPERIENCE. That we are enhabiting ENVIRONMENTS and those environments have to be INTERESTING, EXPLORABLE, TACTILE, IMMERSIVE, so that we want to SPEND TIME THERE. Maybe that is theme park design 102 and Chappie just sat in on 101 where star wars land was exciting and cars land is successful because its got IP attachments. He just thinks he can break the internet like Kim Kardashian by slapping a movie title, or no, not even, a CORPORATE ANIMATION STUDIO'S NAME AND LOGO on an unrelated environment.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I have a solution for Mickeys Fun wheel. Give Mickey a cameo in Coco. Problem solved.

On another note, I decided I need to start being like Disney and changing things for no damn reason. When Pixar Pier opens next year, I will be changing my profile name to BuZZlightyearBlu.

nevol

I get that. I've kinda gotten used to the disappointment after GOTG:MB so nothing really bothers me anymore. I guess its a bit upsetting considering there really is a lot more that could be done with a California theme and could even still involve IPs but they refuse to go past Pixar and Marvel

Yea. The idea of a pixar pier is fine, but it could be achieved without overtly saying and renaming it. Bring the other pixar dark rides into the area, any gamified rides because that would be thematically consistent since it is a pier with boardwalk games, and poof, you're done. Instead they have to address mickey fun wheel and ariel's grotto now, not to mention any of the other fab 5 attractions, casual/non-IP dining locations, Mermaid.... So not needed. I really feel that this is an unhinged Lassetter trying to assert his legacy where it isn't needed; sure, monsters inc and a bugs land are probably getting the boot, as could turtle talk, so this consolidates his other attractions in one end of the park. fantastic. But pixar pier makes a heck of a lot more sense than a pixar firework show at disneyland. That is simply grotesque to me, and replacing soundsational and Remember with pixar play parade and a firework show only about pixar is actually obnoxious and entirely unneeded and unwanted.

nevol

Well...this has the potential to be a pretty awful idea. Hard to imagine what exactly gets changed here other than the midway games -- which, if they are axed, I am totally ok with in exchange for some new entertainment and a candy shop. No attachment to the lame carousel either, if that becomes a bunch of Pixar peeps so be it.

If they replaced the iconic Mickey's Fun Wheel with a Pixar character it'd be pretty baffling, especially with how it's used for the World of Color intro... but they've pulled some pretty dumb moves lately.

To the post above me, would make sense that this only covers everything from the pier entrance to about where the Maliboomer used to be and have this just be a sub-section of the larger area. That would spare the swing, Goofy, and Little Mermaid and really make all of this pretty minimal... so at that point, why even bother?
It is just... all so baffling. You have a story-absent knockoff of fantasmic playing each night that could literally be the perfect drag-and-drop of Happily Ever After or whatever seasonal pixar nighttime entertainment they want to do.

I am seriously concerned because, and I don't believe anybody has mentioned this yet, but disney agreed to spend 1.5 billion, am I correct? To extend their gate tax relief? And a billion of that is starwars. God knows how much the hotel will cost and eastern gateway. Marvel land/hollywoodland in two phases SHOULD be costing about 500 million if they want to do it any justice. Talks of new fantasyland and an urgently needed tomorrowland renovation and instead of putting money where it is actually needed, they are going to waste precious dollars on PIXAR PIER.

lazyboy97o

Time to stock up on Mickey's Fun Wheel merchandise. The classic icon is most likely going away.

How disappointing.
Mickey’s Fun Wheel is the same sort of storyless branding.

Also, I tolerate the toy story characters being in a turn of the century midway by virtue of "woody's round up" being kind of old. It's from the 50's, but cowboy themed entertainment could be found in turn-of-the-century amusement parks. I know it doesn't really work, but it's a forgivable stretch.

Plus I will accept Midway Mania on the precedent of Pirates of the Caribbean and an adventure on the Spanish Main being housed inside a turn of the century New Orleans area. Exteriors need not necessarily reflect interiors.

If the same logic is applied to all the new buildings at Pixar pier, that's fine.

But the Incredibles...? They are mid-century modern. I don't mind seeing Bing Bong painted on some Victorian clapboard, but not the Incredibles!

Hmm... I wonder if they are going to let the pier time period broaden? What if the backstory is that this roller coaster was built in the early 60s?

Maybe... I wonder if they'll put that much thought into it.
Broadening the time period doesn’t fix anything. The stories aren’t connected.

But Pixar Place was abandoned and is about to be literally walled off and destroyed next year. It's just a street with brick facades leading to the Midway Mania entrance, with faux board games and Barrel-O-Monkeys decor strung over the brick buildings to denote WHIMSY! Are you kids having fun?!?

I'm just thinking of the paying audience here. Not the 0.5% of the audience who knows what the generic office park aesthetic of Pixar Studios in Emeryville, California looks like and gets the brick connection. I'm thinking of the 99.5% of the rest of the paying audience who has never heard of Emeryville and could care less what the office park looks like.

I'm talking about these nice people on vacation, waiting for their Midway Mania Fastpass to ripen.
Entrance+to+Pixar+Place+at+Hollywood+Studios.JPG

I'm going out on a limb and say that those 99.5% would rather spend their vacation in a recreation of a Victorian seaside pier with beloved Pixar characters than spend their vacation on a narrow street themed to a suburban office park they've never seen.

Pixar Pier has caught us all off guard and we need more details to truly judge, but if it helps fix the remaining stretch of Paul Pressler's stucco and vinyl signage from 2001, I'm all for it.
You’re still mixing up different concepts. Whether or not a setting is relevant to the story is not the same as it being a desirable setting.

nevol

Me too! I am going in early May next year, staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel, with a suite-overlooking The park. I do not want to be looking at a Construction Zone. If I want to do that, I'll just drive down my local highway, lol.
Staying at what hotel? Boom. Now that paradise pier no longer exists, they can call it the pixar pier hotel and charge and extra 150$ a night per room. What a mess.

I would have loved to see PP Hotel go, and for a new paradise pier hotel to be built behind screamin to look like seaside hills, room balconies jutting out as separate bungalows. Building on top of a show building podium so they can put some dark rides at ground level. Building's silhouette behind screamin blocks out the convention center. Instead we will have PIXAR PIER with PIXAR PIER HOTEL and maybe they'll be dumb enough to build that giant white picket fence from andy's back yard to go behind california screamin. White roller coaster on a white fence, yea sure that'll really pop! :arghh:

TP2000

You’re still mixing up different concepts. Whether or not a setting is relevant to the story is not the same as it being a desirable setting.

I know what concepts I'm discussing, and that you are discussing. You are saying that the brick facades of Pixar Place in DHS are a faithful recreation of Pixar Studios in Emeryville and thus are relevant to the story of a modern animation studio in an office park. I agree.

But I don't think the paying public wants to visit modern office parks on their vacation. I think the paying public would rather visit a Victorian amusement pier on their vacation, and if it's got Pixar characters involved so much the better. We'll just have to see how well they apply the Pixar characters to the Pier theme. It could be dumb, or it might turn out great.

This project is coming fast, opening next summer. We'll have an answer to that soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom