News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Like I said.. confirmed by the guy whose Dad built quite a bit there, as well a going back to fix that later. Not a myth. People like to believe it's a myth, because they will find any excuse to believe Disney lied when they bring down a pretty cheesy ride and replace it with something else, but it's true. And the guy has absolutely no loyalty to Disney or reason to be disingenuous about it.

Interestingly.. the only reason _I_ found out about it was a very long article said author wrote about the spillway that was failing in California, and discussed some other places that had had notable problems.. Horizons being one of them.

I'd like to @marni1971's thoughts on this since his video indicates it's a myth.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Like I said.. confirmed by the guy whose Dad built quite a bit there, as well a going back to fix that later. Not a myth. People like to believe it's a myth, because they will find any excuse to believe Disney lied when they bring down a pretty cheesy ride and replace it with something else, but it's true. And the guy has absolutely no loyalty to Disney or reason to be disingenuous about it.

Interestingly.. the only reason _I_ found out about it was a very long article said author wrote about the spillway that was failing in California, and discussed some other places that had had notable problems.. Horizons being one of them.
It's a myth.

Confirmed by the guy who designed it. I had a long chat with George one night about this (RIP)

Last edited:

Maeryk

It's a myth.

Confirmed by the guy who designed it. I had a long chat with George one night about this (RIP)

Okay, I reread what I had been remembering.. yes, "sinkhole" never appears. What does is "issues with the pilings and foundations, requiring the building to be taken down to repair".

So, yeah. Sinkhole? Agreed.. myth, and poor choice of words. But Florida swampland provides a rather tricky place to build stuff. Especially large stuff. Quite a bit of the things there are built on pilings, for that reason. If not properly done, settlement is an issue.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay, I reread what I had been remembering.. yes, "sinkhole" never appears. What does is "issues with the pilings and foundations, requiring the building to be taken down to repair".

So, yeah. Sinkhole? Agreed.. myth, and poor choice of words. But Florida swampland provides a rather tricky place to build stuff. Especially large stuff. Quite a bit of the things there are built on pilings, for that reason. If not properly done, settlement is an issue.
That's common knowledge about Florida, with respect.

Horizons had minor structural issues that were an easy fix. What it didn't have was a sinkhole to force its closure in 1994. For one, how could it have reopened just over a year later and remain open until 1999 if it had a sinkhole?

Would you build a ride system dependent on fast spinning vehicles with tolerances down to a few inches on the exact land known to be prone to sinkholes?

Energy has a sinkhole. There's one next to Odyssey. But there was not one between these two locations.

A third party wanted to build a thrill ride. Said party also offered to pay to take the thematically problematic 1983 Pavilion off the companies hands. Disney killed two birds with one stone. They didn't have to pay to update Horizons and someone else would pay them the privilege of removing the problem.

rreading

My concern. Gotg and a hulked up MS makes me think that there is a transformation to a larger space based area. TT already has overplayed with more modern/futuristic. So where does this leave SSE? I have a weird feeling that we are going to see SSE change from a history of communication to a non specific IP based thrill ride of some form or fashion.

I imagine that this has already been addressed in future pages, but I think that it's an interesting question. I haven't had the time to digest all of yesterday's announcements, but from the headlines on this website, it appears that FW East will maintain its futuristic/technology vibe (similar to Epcot Center of the past); with FW West maintaining a humanistic perspective on our world and how we relate to the Earth. I would hope that SSE would still continue to ground the future as related to our past, with improvements.

@marni1971 - hate to invoke you since you're so commonly summoned, but I do have a question related to this: was there anything announced yesterday which would suggest why Siemens pulled out of their Epcot sponsorship? Or is that issue still to play out, so far as we know? Or is is simply a matter of money?

Either way, really excited for the changes announced!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 - hate to invoke you since you're so commonly summoned, but I do have a question related to this: was there anything announced yesterday which would suggest why Siemens pulled out of their Epcot sponsorship? Or is that issue still to play out, so far as we know? Or is is simply a matter of money?
No, nothing was mentioned. I doubt it's common knowledge. There's a good chance one of the reasons will become apparent in the future.

Cmdr_Crimson

Just throwing this out there considering how the Mindset of TDO is...But, I won't be surprised if they make this the place in Epcot for the "Other" Character Breakfast in the park....They have/had ISTC Astrounauts Mickey & Goofy already....I'm Just Sayin!
9aec2bea1ee09a66e29ae632b13017fd.jpg

Maeryk

New nighttime show sponsored by someone else?!

Or just not sponsored at all. I don't really see Epcot losing a nighttime show, but since so many of the things that were once sponsored aren't anymore, and are still chugging along, we may get a different show. I like Illuminations well enough.. but it's kinda old. Time to retire the spinotron and come up with something new.

Timothy_Q

Will be interesting to see if the restaurant will be incorporated into the ride building and have its entrance through the pavilion (like The Land) or if it will be entirely separate.

I'm hoping for the former

JohnD

Space on one side (with TT because... reasons), Earth (land, sea and... senses? Imagination? Dragons?) on the other side. How we communication across time and space in the middle.

BOOM!

Nailed it.

It's already themed that way. Technology on the east. Land/Sea/on the west. The painting in the plaza reflects this. Blue tones on the east. Green/brown tones on the west. They explain this in UnDISCOVERed Future World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom