News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Disney as I knew it is dead. The Disney I grew up with viewed its parks not as billboards for IP's but as an artform.
Excuse me for being slightly bummed at today's news.
You're embarrassing yourself. The ENTIRE PREMISE of The Great Movie Ride is IP. Spaceship Earth is IP. Disneyland, in its entirety, is IP. "The Enchanted Tiki Room" is IP. Horizons is IP. The Adventurer's Club is IP. I'm beyond sick of this moronic argument from people who don't even have a high school understanding of what "IP" even means.

ToTBellHop

You're embarrassing yourself. The ENTIRE PREMISE of The Great Movie Ride is IP. Spaceship Earth is IP. Disneyland, in its entirety, is IP. "The Enchanted Tiki Room" is IP. Horizons is IP. The Adventurer's Club is IP. I'm beyond sick of this moronic argument from people who don't even have a high school understanding of what "IP" even means.
At the end of the day, they are putting a ride in with a story that works perfectly well in DHS. We can lament the loss of GMR, but at least the ride belongs, and it is about freakin time Mickey got an E-ticket.

This is a whole different ballpark than "Peter Quill came to Epcot as a kid so here is his ride." That's contrived and honestly a bit condescending toward us.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
He's doing just fine cochise, you can take a few steps back now.

Let the man have his feels.
Come on. "The Disney I grew up with viewed its parks not as billboards for IP's but as an artform." That's not feels, that's histrionics.

Spoiler alert: The Walt Disney Company has been after your money since 1923. Maybe they were better at tricking you into thinking their motives were more "pure" in the past but the name of the game hasn't changed.

comics101

Wow. Welp, you got me. Totally changed my view after reading that insightful commentary...

Serious question: is it your opinion that The Great Movie Ride was created in an attempt to further the sale of Disney-owned intellectual property? Or was the attraction created with great love and care by individuals who loved the art of movies, and who took great pride in their work, intending it to enhance the theme of a park which was centered on cinema?

brb1006

Does anyone have any good footage of the glimpse of the new technology for the ride. I seen it on one periscope but it was blurry.

the_rich

Wow. Welp, you got me. Totally changed my view after reading that insightful commentary...

Serious question: is it your opinion that The Great Movie Ride was created in an attempt to further the sale of Disney-owned intellectual property? Or was the attraction created with great love and care by individuals who loved the art of movies, and who took great pride in their work, intending it to enhance the theme of a park which was centered on cinema?
Can't they do both?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The GMR is/'was the perfect attraction for that park - IF it was updated on a continual basis. I would have far rather seen a complete rework of the attraction, with it remaining true to its original concept. The basis behind the GMR just had so much potential to continually bring something new to the park. Will be very sorry to see it go.

the_rich

I
The GMR is/'was the perfect attraction for that park - IF it was updated on a continual basis. I would have far rather seen a complete rework of the attraction, with it remaining true to its original concept. The basis behind the GMR just had so much potential to continually bring something new to the park. Will be very sorry to see it go.
I would have been totally for that too. But in it's current state it was woefully outdated. I'm excited for the possibility of this new ride.

comics101

Spoiler alert: The Walt Disney Company has been after your money since 1923. Maybe they were better at tricking you into thinking their motives were more "pure" in the past but the name of the game hasn't changed.

This is absolutely true. What amazes me is that 30-40 years ago, the company managed to rake in dough without intruding on the artistic integrity of those who created their parks.

Incidentally, I'll just add that the company's motives were "pure" 40 years ago and are still "pure" today. There's nothing wrong with wanting to increase profits. With that said, they are not doing so with guests such as myself in mind; they're using a different strategy, and that's totally fine. In the process however, they're beginning to lose my business.

The_Jobu

Come on. "The Disney I grew up with viewed its parks not as billboards for IP's but as an artform." That's not feels, that's histrionics.

Some people like coherent themes in their theme parks, they're crazy like that. If you're going to get triggered because someone is lamenting the unoriginal direction of the parks, there's plenty of other Disney boards where everything is awesome.

If you're just looking to pick a fight, then I'll be your huckleberry, you can stop insulting the sad man.

Jeremy P

That one bit they showed in the warehouse did remind me of the changing projections on the castle. Though they definitely could've gone further. Are they worried that it's to ambitious and they don't want to over promise and under deliver.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he specified that what they showed today was very early testing and the effect ended up looking much better than they showed there. I think they will go further, I think they just wanted to tease a bit today to show what the idea was.

the_rich

In theory, I suppose. Though outside of the animated pictures, I cannot think of a single Disney picture as iconic as The Wizard of Oz or Casablanca. Perhaps Mary Poppins, though that's already in the attraction.
Well to be honest, how many movies are that iconic? I mean wizard of Oz is an all time classic.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This is absolutely true. What amazes me is that 30-40 years ago, the company managed to rake in dough without intruding on the artistic integrity of those who created their parks.

Incidentally, I'll just add that the company's motives were "pure" 40 years ago and are still "pure" today. There's nothing wrong with wanting to increase profits. With that said, they are not doing so with guests such as myself in mind; they're using a different strategy, and that's totally fine. In the process however, they're beginning to lose my business.

Some people like coherent themes in their theme parks, they're crazy like that. If you're going to get triggered because someone is lamenting the unoriginal direction of the parks, there's plenty of other Disney boards where everything is awesome.

If you're just looking to pick a fight, then I'll be your huckleberry, you can stop insulting the sad man.
That argument is fine if you want to go debate Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot. But this is Mickey Mouse in the movie park. It's about as thematically appropriate as it gets.

TheDuke

Really bumbed about this. GMR was one of my top 5 attractions. I would have preferred to see it upgraded rather than replaced. It looks like the original old hollywood theme of Hollywood studios is going to be completely gone pretty soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom