News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This. Last time I drove through the MK parking lot, my first question was why they don't have Disney Springs-style garages. It'd help keep a bunch of cars cool, take up less space (so more hotels), etc.
Maybe they're worried about sinkholes. A large flat surface can bear the weight of thousands of cars, but if you layer those cars up in a three or four-storey garage... now you're talking more concentrated weight in a smaller area. I'm still surprised they put them in over at DS.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe they're worried about sinkholes. A large flat surface can bear the weight of thousands of cars, but if you layer those cars up in a three or four-storey garage... now you're talking more concentrated weight in a smaller area. I'm still surprised they put them in over at DS.

They can build where there are no sinkholes, otherwise all the tower hotels in the greater Orlando area would only be knee high right now.

mm121

at DS i'm sure the garages were more a matter of NEED than want, as they really had no choice especially if they wanted to redo the shopping mall, as even as downtown disney parking had been a nightmare for a decade

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
They can build where there are no sinkholes, otherwise all the tower hotels in the greater Orlando area would only be knee high right now.
Well, that's the thing about sinkholes... people don't purposely build on them, but they have been known to collapse when you least expect it. Take the example of the Selmon Expressway elevated portion in Tampa. They had already completed a substrate survey, and yet...
http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/sinkhole-swallows-section-of-tampa-elevated-roadway/4490

flynnibus

Premium Member
This. Last time I drove through the MK parking lot, my first question was why they don't have Disney Springs-style garages. It'd help keep a bunch of cars cool, take up less space (so more hotels), etc.

Because garages are multiple times more expensive per space to build... and take a ton more maintenance. If you have the luxury of space... you use it.

For shade they could easily build canopies and charge for it

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because garages are multiple times more expensive per space to build... and take a ton more maintenance. If you have the luxury of space... you use it.

For shade they could easily build canopies and charge for it

I've always wondered why commercial lots don't have a covered parking lot with the roof covered by solar panels. It's a win-win-win.

Jordanaous

Not exactly sure how this well influence that. People that are driving to the parks are still driving to the parks with or without the gondolas.

I think what he means is that those who currently drive from the resorts to the parks may opt for this as an alternative. The buses can be slow and indirect, the feeling is this will *feel* quicker as at a resort like Caribbean Beach some people won't have 7 stops before they actually leave the resort. There are times when staying on property I prefer to drive than use transportation, if this is quicker than the bus, then I'd reconsider taking the car.

Doubt it'll drastically reduce those driving to the parks though...

Kamikaze

I think what he means is that those who currently drive from the resorts to the parks may opt for this as an alternative. The buses can be slow and indirect, the feeling is this will *feel* quicker as at a resort like Caribbean Beach some people won't have 7 stops before they actually leave the resort. There are times when staying on property I prefer to drive than use transportation, if this is quicker than the bus, then I'd reconsider taking the car.

Doubt it'll drastically reduce those driving to the parks though...

That number is very low, though. What are you talking, a couple hundred cars a day from the affected resorts to each park? Inconsequential.

Jordanaous

That number is very low, though. What are you talking, a couple hundred cars a day from the affected resorts to each park? Inconsequential.
Oh I definitely agree. It'll be a tiny number of the overall guests arriving by car. I'm sure Disney is hoping to reduce car usage for those staying at Disney Hotels across the board, however. So every little helps, I guess?

Kamikaze

Oh I definitely agree. It'll be a tiny number of the overall guests arriving by car. I'm sure Disney is hoping to reduce car usage for those staying at Disney Hotels across the board, however. So every little helps, I guess?

Thats what the rumored parking fee is for, yup.

I still think they'll need a garage at Studios once SWL opens and they will be ruing the day they didn't build it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm sure the prices will increase at the gondola resorts. Also, people spending less time in transit = $$$

*Dingdingding* We have a winner! :D

Coming soon, complete with ever-more inflated prices:

"Stay at a MAGICAL!!! Disney Monorail resort, with direct access to Disney Magic Kingdom Park and Epcot Center Park, starting at only $799/night!"

"Stay at a MAGICAL!!! Disney Gondola resort, with direct access to Disney's Hollywood Studios Park and Star Wars Land (Opening TBD), starting at only $399/night!"

"Stay at a MAGICAL!!! Disney resort close to Disney's Animal Kingdom Park, starting at only $199/night!"

You get the idea. Other resorts will likely be classified by resort area and marketed as such. And even at those prices, people will eat it up. :banghead:

Kamikaze

While I agree that prices for the gondola resorts will go up, I don't think they're going up as much as you suggest. AoA/Pop are still built like Values, no matter what extras you have thrown on.

Minthorne

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom