The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
We lost one of our female finches overnight. We had 6 at one time. The originals were Eenie, Meanie, Miney and Moe. Eenie and meanie hatched Dottie and her sister, and Dottie's sister passed away in early April at just about 4 months old. Today we lost Miney. I buried her near "sister". Moe is our songbird. Probably a bit confused at the moment. It is raining here in Chicago at the moment. It suits our mood. Gloomy for sure.
I'm so sorry

Figgy1

Premium Member
I was told it was part day swimming and part day arts, crafts, etc. Her first day (after all the rain!) they went on a nature hike. She fell in mud up to her knees, her forearms and splashed in her hair! And, the part that made me very upset was they didn't have partners but walked a single line with the counselor leading. She said no one saw her fall and they kept going.

She got herself up and had to run to catch the group. Then she really didn't get to clean up because they had a wet sponge fight and then did a form of the ice bucket challenge without the ice. AND she only took one pair of shoes! I'm thinking WHAT kind of camp is this! She is only going this week.
The like is for it being only one week. BTW are you finished with OT and PT yet?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We lost one of our female finches overnight. We had 6 at one time. The originals were Eenie, Meanie, Miney and Moe. Eenie and meanie hatched Dottie and her sister, and Dottie's sister passed away in early April at just about 4 months old. Today we lost Miney. I buried her near "sister". Moe is our songbird. Probably a bit confused at the moment. It is raining here in Chicago at the moment. It suits our mood. Gloomy for sure.

I'm so sorry for your loss! I used to have six finches but they all died or flew away while I was in Iraq. My mom apparently isn't the best avian caregiver.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Of course, I am not talking about everything. But, some of the more spectacular ones should be almost automatically be shared by, at least, the US parks. It's not like there aren't many examples of that, and I hear very little in the line of "it shouldn't be here" discussion. Just looking at MK... Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Tiki Room, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mtn., the Side Wheeler, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Carousel, Speedway, Buzz Lightyear and others that I am sure I missed. It is obvious that it never was a Disney policy to not duplicate attractions.

You are correct many probably want to and will have the means available to hop across country just to ride a silly 2 minute ride, but, even those that have the resources available are not going to automatically do that, but, how about the thousands that don't have the financial ability or even the time... to go across country. No one has given me a logical explanation why that isn't done as much anymore. California Adventure, the original at least, I haven't seen the upgrade, was filled with Epcot type/DHS type of experiences. Epcot was unique and it apparently didn't have the staying power, so it is not likely that they would be transported 3000 miles. Soarin made it from Cali. though (must have caught an updraft).

The most logical reason is the more impressive the attraction is the more it cost to build and that is the single trigger for it not being cloned US parks. That shouldn't be agreed with, but, like so many other comments heard about Disney Management it should be condemned as nothing more then another money hording decision they made that excluded a whole lot of people from experiencing that particular part of the "magic".

Yes, when WDW was originally built a good chunk of the original attractions were indeed clones. Much quicker and cheaper. My explanation was that the same thing is not necessarily accepted for the demographic of each parks guests. Under the Sea wasn't accepted well in Cali so they chose that to duplicate in FL. :facepalm: And Disney almost massacred WDW Tower to clone what they were doing in Cali. Most of the fan base didn't want that to happen. They cloned Soarin over Cali in Epcot which most didn't grasp why FL didn't have a more neutral or FL theme. Disney removed a couple of clones from the MK that didn't have great attendance number in FL, Toad and Snow yet they left them in Cali. Reverse with The Bears, loved here, hated in Cali.

I think mostly Disney is trying to break away from that stigma that failed of
The Disney Parks generic. Even Six Flags has diversified their parks.

Gabe1

I'm sorry :(

93boomer

Premium Member
I am so very sorry! :(

Gabe1

Perhaps I know that Cesar... I'm sure that 1% travels everywhere their little heart desires. I'm not worried about the minority, I am focusing on the rest of the population.

You are single and like myself are probably not part of the 1% folks, however, because we are single our financial responsibilities are basically only to ourselves. We have excess cash available to be spent on those adventures. We cannot judge all on our own abilities. I have the money to do all that stuff, but, since I am retired I no longer have the income and what money I do have has to stretch out for whatever time I have left. Who knows, I might be able to afford it, but, I am not going to throw money away just to see a themed carnival ride. I've been to Disneyland... once is all that was necessary for me.

As far as Tron is concerned, I'll take your word for it that it isn't worth cloning, but, that is because it lacked the spectacular aspect and therefore deemed it to be unworthy, not just because we have this thing about not duplicating an attraction from coast to coast.

But if you look at this thread alone there are a good chunk of us that go to Disneyland and many of us have families or a husband/wife I don't believe we are the minority. My airfare is cheaper to Florida but it is not out of reach to fly to LAX.

EDIT:
and the next post I read was from our ajrwdwgirl
Good morning! Hubs and I are at the airport waiting for our California flight. I hope everyone has a great day!

Songbird76

:facepalm:

I guess those packages sold by UK, Mexico, Brazil, etc.. to go to WDW are just 1%ers... right? :rolleyes:
Well, you're forgetting the fact that WDW has the most comprehensive number of attractions. If you have to pick only one to go to, THAT'S the one you pick. I certainly have no plans to visit Disneyland in CA, nor to go to Tokyo or Shanghai, etc. Why? Because I get so much more out of my visit to WDW. And as much as I would love to visit Disneyland, I just don't have the money to do it. As it is, we have to save for YEARS to afford ONE vacation. Not cloning is basically a money grab...if people want to experience certain rides, they are forced to visit many different parks to do so. And Disney makes more money. We're only going to Disneyland Paris in October because I desperately need some Disney time after this...less than stellar year, and we can't afford to go to WDW. So instead, we're settling for Paris. But most people I know here won't go do WDW because it's too expensive....so yes, I'd say that most of those packages are 1%ers. It's definitely not the norm.

Songbird76

I was told it was part day swimming and part day arts, crafts, etc. Her first day (after all the rain!) they went on a nature hike. She fell in mud up to her knees, her forearms and splashed in her hair! And, the part that made me very upset was they didn't have partners but walked a single line with the counselor leading. She said no one saw her fall and they kept going.

She got herself up and had to run to catch the group. Then she really didn't get to clean up because they had a wet sponge fight and then did a form of the ice bucket challenge without the ice. AND she only took one pair of shoes! I'm thinking WHAT kind of camp is this! She is only going this week.
This is the camp they signed her up for without your permission? How long is this camp SUPPOSED to go?

Songbird76

But if you look at this thread alone there are a good chunk of us that go to Disneyland and many of us have families or a husband/wife I don't believe we are the minority. My airfare is cheaper to Florida but it is not out of reach to fly to LAX.

EDIT:
Good morning! Hubs and I are at the airport waiting for our California flight. I hope everyone has a great day!
Let me ask you this though...would you still go to Disneyland if the offerings were the same? If you couldn't see anything at Cali that you couldn't find in Florida, would you still choose to spend the money to go to Cali, being more expensive for you?

Songbird76

I'm sorry! So sad! Was this one of the birds your grandson passed on to you?

Goofyernmost

EDIT:
Well, Gabe... I think if you took every member of this board and assumed they had the money and time to travel from area to area to see a park, it would almost add up to one days gate at MK. That is hardly a majority and that would be assuming that we all are Disney Jet setters. We are indeed a minority. I have been to three locations WDW, DLR and Disneyland Paris. Even I didn't go to Paris to see Disneyland, I went to see Paris, but, since I was that close I went to Disneyland. No specific trip just for DLP. We being absorbed into Disney Parks tend to think that everyone is... sorry to say that is just not true and very many on the outside think of us as being pretty geeky and extremely uncool.

Songbird76

Well, Gabe... I think if you took every member of this board and assumed they had the money and time to travel from area to area to see a park, it would almost add up to one days gate at MK. That is hardly a majority and that would be assuming that we all are Disney Jet setters. We are indeed a minority. I have been to three locations WDW, DLR and Disneyland Paris. Even I didn't go to Paris to see Disneyland, I went to see Paris, but, since I was that close I went to Disneyland. No specific trip just for DLP. We being absorbed into Disney Parks tend to think that everyone is... sorry to say that is just not true and very many on the outside think of us as being pretty geeky and extremely uncool.
I don't know about the geeky and uncool part, but most people I know think I'm nuts for spending the money to go to WDW. I've planned a few visits with my brother, only to have him back out because his husband doesn't think it's a good value and he'd rather go on a cruise. I'm hoping that now that they have a munchkin, it may tip the scales and he'll be willing to do it because she wants to go. But most people just don't understand the allure. Most people here already think it's too expensive to go to Disneyland Paris, and we can DRIVE there in about 5-6 hours so you don't have to pay for flights and it's not as expensive as WDW. It's not that they don't think it sounds cool, or fun, just that they can't imagine it's worth the money. I wonder how many would be won over if they experienced Disney just once, you know? I'm pretty sure my BIL has never been to a Disney Park in any part of the world, so he really doesn't know what he's missing, poor guy! We went a few times as kids, so my brother really wants to go back, but can't get his DH to agree to the cost. So it's not about being geeky...although, most of my friends are geeks and proud of it, so it being geeky would only increase the appeal.

Goofyernmost

I don't know about the geeky and uncool part, but most people I know think I'm nuts for spending the money to go to WDW. I've planned a few visits with my brother, only to have him back out because his husband doesn't think it's a good value and he'd rather go on a cruise. I'm hoping that now that they have a munchkin, it may tip the scales and he'll be willing to do it because she wants to go. But most people just don't understand the allure. Most people here already think it's too expensive to go to Disneyland Paris, and we can DRIVE there in about 5-6 hours so you don't have to pay for flights and it's not as expensive as WDW. It's not that they don't think it sounds cool, or fun, just that they can't imagine it's worth the money. I wonder how many would be won over if they experienced Disney just once, you know? I'm pretty sure my BIL has never been to a Disney Park in any part of the world, so he really doesn't know what he's missing, poor guy! We went a few times as kids, so my brother really wants to go back, but can't get his DH to agree to the cost. So it's not about being geeky...although, most of my friends are geeks and proud of it, so it being geeky would only increase the appeal.
Well, geeky was just a look in from the outside anyway. I don't consider us geeky, but, we were discussing majority vs. minority. Many people like Disney and have been to a park, but, they are not spending hours online in a Disney based discussion board. They are not trying to find a way to get to California, Paris, Tokyo, or any of the rest. They are just people that enjoyed or think they might enjoy a trip to a Disney Park. Most will find a way to go to one eventually, but, very few will spend time trying to figure out how to go back. If the opportunity comes up, they will go again, but, they will not spend a moment of thought anguishing over when they can return. Reality 101.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom