Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

articos

A few points to make without giving any major bombshells: any outdoor coaster or track would be required to shut down in the event of lightning or heavy rain within a certain radius if it were not covered. An E-ticket addition in the MK would make it much easier in allowing Space to go down for a rebuild in the future. And the Magic Kingdom needs more capacity, not less.

21stamps

I wouldn't mind the speedway if they just did a major update to it, including making it all electric. It's Tomorrowland after all and we're in 2017; fossil fuel cars is hardly fitting, it makes it smell and sound horrible and the cars would also become much smoother to drive.

Sponsored by Tesla plz?

I don't think Chevy would appreciate that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A few points to make without giving any major bombshells: any outdoor coaster or track would be required to shut down in the event of lightning or heavy rain within a certain radius if it were not covered. An E-ticket addition in the MK would make it much easier in allowing Space to go down for a rebuild in the future. And the Magic Kingdom needs more capacity, not less.

So you're saying they're getting rid of Space Mountain and will have an uncovered Tron cycle that will only run in lightning storms.

#ThanksShanghai

Last edited:

21stamps

So you're saying that SM does need a complete rebuild of the tracks? What happened to it?

TiggerDad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 383

21stamps

Got very old.
It kind of looks like it's held together with yellow caution tape
Time, mostly.
They were going to fully retrack and rebuild the thing in 2013 but instead they just added several trim brakes to slow everything down and extend the life of the existing track and supports even further.

Isn't Matterhorn older though? I'm just curious of what would require an entire rebuild. I realize the one in CA was also rebuilt, did they ever say the cause? Design flaw, or just impossible to build for that much wear and tear?

Wishing Star

if Speedway stays they should at least update the thing. It doesn't fit the Tomorrowland theme. Something not gas based should be in order.

Bairstow

Isn't Matterhorn older though? I'm just curious of what would require an entire rebuild. I realize the one in CA was also rebuilt, did they ever say the cause? Design flaw, or just impossible to build for that much wear and tear?

Matterhorn has been partially rebuilt several times, though recent reports are that it's now rougher than ever, partially due to the new sleds.

Disneyland's Space Mountain has always been a completely different bird from the WDW one, having only the one track and traditional trains instead of sleds. I'm not completely sure what prompted the 2003 rebuild other than general improvements and age.

HMF

Matterhorn has been partially rebuilt several times, though recent reports are that it's now rougher than ever, partially due to the new sleds.

Disneyland's Space Mountain has always been a completely different bird from the WDW one, having only the one track and traditional trains instead of sleds. I'm not completely sure what prompted the 2003 rebuild other than general improvements and age.
Structural instability was the reason for the DL track replacement.

lazyboy97o

Coaster of Theseus. The Matterhorn has seen extensive downtime for major work.

Space Mountain couldn’t bear the weight of the on-board audio system.

tired_photog

I wouldn't mind the speedway if they just did a major update to it, including making it all electric. It's Tomorrowland after all and we're in 2017; fossil fuel cars is hardly fitting, it makes it smell and sound horrible and the cars would also become much smoother to drive.

Sponsored by Tesla plz?
For me the sounds and smell are part of the experience. They immediately take me back to my childhood and driving for the first time ever at MK. It would be a shame if my grandkids never get to share the same experience.

21stamps

Coaster of Theseus. The Matterhorn has seen extensive downtime for major work.

Space Mountain couldn’t bear the weight of the on-board audio system.

The weight/audio system makes a little sense on why the track at DL was replaced.
It's just so rare to hear of an entire tear down and rebuild.
Even when wooden coasters get steel components or conversions, it's different than a steel coaster getting a complete rebuild.

ToTBellHop

The weight/audio system makes a little sense on why the track at DL was replaced.
It's just so rare to hear of an entire tear down and rebuild.
Even when wooden coasters get steel components or conversions, it's different than a steel coaster getting a complete rebuild.
Woodies get retracked all the time.

Hulk was just completely rebuilt.

Space Mtn is old and the Florida parks expect much more of rides than Six Flags--longer hours with no extensive off-season. Plus Disney is more generous than most with guests-of-a-certain-size.

Plenty of 42-year old coasters at Six Flags wouldn't have their tracks replaced. They'd just be removed and replaced with a new coaster because "ride our 1975 coaster" isn't marketable.

TeriofTerror

Thank you.

No, nothing. Things happen. People move on. Myself, I'm just reigning myself back a bit. I've nothing to prove and don't want to constantly be "that guy". Plus of course I've people and friends to honour. Could I say more? Absolutely. Could I talk about things I haven't? Yes. Could I spill the D23 beans? Probably. I could talk about **GE. WRTW. 220. LSE. WoW. WC. Resorts. Transport. But I'm not going to break trust. I have (with respect) no desire to be on a pedestal. I just have an interest in the parks and resorts development and am fortunate to have made some great friends over the years. And as always things can change. I'm not in charge. I don't sit in meeting rooms. Sometimes things seem too ridiculous to talk about at first. Or have a slim chance of happening.

I just say what I can when I think I should. And sometimes let others take the credit.
Not gonna lie; I spent way too much time that I should've been sleeping last night trying to puzzle out 220.
I'm not at my sharpest in the wee hours...

21stamps

Woodies get retracked all the time.

Hulk was just completely rebuilt.

Space Mtn is old and the Florida parks expect much more of rides than Six Flags--longer hours with no extensive off-season. Plus Disney is more generous than most with guests-of-a-certain-size.

Plenty of 42-year old coasters at Six Flags wouldn't have their tracks replaced. They'd just be removed and replaced with a new coaster because "ride our 1975 coaster" isn't marketable.

So it's not an entire tear down/rebuild then? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is very interesting to me because that is so rare.

There are several very high rated roller coasters 35, 45 years old and much older that haven't been completely torn down and rebuilt. Some that still hold world records.
None see the amount of riders like Disney does though. I'd love to hear from someone in Disney Imagineering on these issues with Space Mountain and what causes/caused them.. for purely geek purposes. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom