Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otterhead

Tron has never made the company very much money.
Two movies
A massively popular movie soundtrack with its own remix album
An award winning cartoon series
A popular street party at the park with a full-scale Flynn's Arcade
Multiple comic book series
Multiple video games
A crazy popular coaster

.... I think Tron's doing quite well for Disney actually...

wdwfan4ver

General question for the thread-

Why do so many of you want clones of rides from other parks?

From my perspective I think it's good for different parks to have different offerings. Not everything has to be the same. Original park exclusive rides would be nice, imo.
I can speak from me wanting Beauty and Beast trackless ride that Tokyo is creating.

The reason is Disney's New Fantasy Land didn't reach its goal and what the substance was. I've have problems with New Fantasy Land for years. The goal was to bring more capacity to the park, but it didn't reach that goal like Disney wanted. What happened was Disney went Style over Substance, and go on the cheap side on certain things.

Case in point is take a look at the Mini Beauty and the Beast Land. That Mini Land actually didn't fill need MK needed for giving the park more capacity. Enchanted Tales with Belle is very low capacity attraction and that didn't help MK at all. What MK needed was a trackless Beauty and the Beast ride that has much better capacity than Enchanted Tales with Belle does.

What Enchanted Tales with Belle did is have maybe 600 at tops per hour compare to all the trackless rides Disney did over seas. It isn't known what the Beauty and the Beast Trackless ride capacity is going to be, but I'm guessing it would be at least 1,500 guests and that is something MK needed.

Last edited:

doctornick

Mystic manor in its current form would not fit well (certainly not incredibly well) anywhere at Animal kingdom.

Well, Mystic Manor does have a monkey as the central character...

Realistically, sure, Mystic Manor doesn't fit into the core values of DAK. But, as mentioned, it does have an animal featured prominently and that's probably enough justification in Disney's mind to use it in DAK if they wanted to.

To be honest, I'm less concerned about an individual attraction being so tightly tied to the overall park theme as much as making sure each attraction fits the particular environment (land) it is in. You could put Mystic Manor in Asia with an appropriate look and backstory to make it seamlessly fit that land. I'd be more concerned about devoting a whole land to something that doesn't fit DAK's mission statement than a single attraction. And I think that MM does have an exploration vibe that does fit in with DAK.

That said, if they were to clone it for DAK (they aren't so this is all just hypothetical), it could be tweaked to at least have more animal presence -- dinosaur bones coming to life, a sculpture of dragons or unicorns, etc.

I think it comes up because MM would be such a perfect compliment to DAK's offerings in terms of what the park needs and is a great ride in its own right.

21stamps

I can speak from me wanting Beauty and Beast trackless ride that Tokyo is creating.

The reason is Disney's New Fantasy Land didn't reach its goal and what the substance was. I've have problems with New Fantasy Land for years. The goal was to bring more capacity to the park, but it didn't reach that good like Disney wanted. What happened was Disney went Style over Substance, and go on the cheap side on certain things.

Case in point is take a look at the Mini Beauty and the Beast Land. That Mini Land actually didn't fill need MK needed for giving the park more capacity. Enchanted Tales with Belle is very low capacity attraction and that didn't help MK at all. What MK needed was a trackless Beauty and the Beast ride that has much better capacity than Enchanted Tales with Belle does.

What Enchanted Tales with Belle did is have maybe 600 at tops per hour compare to all the trackless rides Disney did over seas. It isn't known what the Beauty and the Beast Trackless ride capacity is going to be, but I'm guessing it would be at least 1,500 guests and that is something MK needed.

I completely understanding wanting higher capacity rides. There's so many great attraction companies right now, between them and inagineering I just think parks can each have a few "special" attractions..still high capacity.

But some of these answers make a lot of sense, thanks for feeding my curiosity:)

misterID

Well, Mystic Manor does have a monkey as the central character...

Realistically, sure, Mystic Manor doesn't fit into the core values of DAK. But, as mentioned, it does have an animal featured prominently and that's probably enough justification in Disney's mind to use it in DAK if they wanted to.

To be honest, I'm less concerned about an individual attraction being so tightly tied to the overall park theme as much as making sure each attraction fits the particular environment (land) it is in. You could put Mystic Manor in Asia with an appropriate look and backstory to make it seamlessly fit that land. I'd be more concerned about devoting a whole land to something that doesn't fit DAK's mission statement than a single attraction. And I think that MM does have an exploration vibe that does fit in with DAK.

That said, if they were to clone it for DAK (they aren't so this is all just hypothetical), it could be tweaked to at least have more animal presence -- dinosaur bones coming to life, a sculpture of dragons or unicorns, etc.

I think it comes up because MM would be such a perfect compliment to DAK's offerings in terms of what the park needs and is a great ride in its own right.
Mystic Manor would be an absolutely perfect fit for AK. Remember, AK was supposed to feature a magical realm that included dragons and unicorns. Here we have a story centered on a monkey that opens a magical box. Even the back story of an adventurer fits AK. And it's a much needed immersive dark ride the park needs.

Ignohippo

@marni1971 Is there any chance the Speedway, the Railroad, and/or especially the PeopleMover will go inside the TRON show building?

Disney Imagineering doesn't do a good job of thinking this way (taking advantage of IPs and making the most out of the real estate they have), but completely re-imagining the Speedway as a Tron theme, with light cycles and light runners (cars), and having it zip in and out of the coaster building would be amazing.

Two attractions, satisfying two very different demographics, on one plot of land.

Losing the Speedway would be a major loss. I completely agree that it's too large a piece of land for one attraction, but few attractions bring a family together and create memories like the Speedway does.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Yetis and time traveling jeeps beg to differ.

What exactly do you think a yeti is? Even more pressing, what exactly do you think dinosaurs were? This may be shocking, but these are examples of animals.

How do you think Mystic Manor fits into Animal Kingdom? It does not focus on animals, or conservation, or symbiosis with nature. Hell, it's not really even about adventure, which you postulated earlier.

I'm in the camp that feels Mystic Manor could work well Adventureland and I find it to be DRASTICALLY different from Haunted Mansion, so I don't think that would be an issue either. It definitely does not fit into Animal Kingdom whatsoever, though.

Castle Cake Apologist

Fictional dinosaur species and time travel. No conservation story here kiddo

I hope this has already been said to you, as I haven't caught up yet, but there are no fictional dinosaurs in the attraction, I'm not sure what you even think you're talking about here. Iguanodons and Carnotaurs definitely existed.

Well thank goodness you aren't employed by the Disney company. I used to ask for Lego sets for my birthday and Christmas and wouldn't dare to build anything but what was in the instructions. Thank goodness there are people that can take those blocks and make them into something different.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that you don't understand the point of themed design.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One could argue that MK is over-capacity because there isn't enough to do at other parks currently. Another method of aiding capacity at MK is/would be to increase the draw to the other parks, reducing the strain on MK. That is something that seems to be in progress, with DAK, DHS, and whatever crap is going on at Epcot.
I'm ok with removing something fairly mundane as the speedway to replace with something that might add to the theming of Tomorrowland instead of taking away from it.

While that idea is always great in theory. I still think MK is under capacity and additions at the other parks are not gonna do enough to draw people away. It is just sad that as big as that park is that it doesn't have as many attractions as it should.
I can see from number of likes, I'm in a minority here, but I agree with @photoginit on this one. All of the DL clones have seeped into our cultural consciousness to such a degree, that MK will be heavily visited regardless of anything else. I think @marni1971 (I've read ahead a bit as I was trying to find where things got serious) is also correct that a 90 second long attraction does little to alleviate the problem (even after the point it is done drawing more). I actually think two more 7-10 minute dark rides and a well done permanent show of some kind are needed. I even think figuring out a way to add some actual land to the MK would be good.

flyerjab

Happened to be riding the TTA today and snapped some photos prior to entering the Space Mountain indoor section. I wonder how different this view will be by MK's 50th.

IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7738.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7740.JPG

Ignohippo

I am actually of the opinion that WDW doesn't need another coaster, especially in MK where the newest ride at this point is a coaster.

I would completely agree with this and go one step further and say that there are many area in the park that could use the money and new attractions. Just in my opinion, but to me MK needs more family attractions to help alleviate the crush of demand at every other attraction in the park. It also doesn't need anything to bring even more people through the turnstiles. The Speedway eats a lot of guests of every age per hour. The ripple effect will be felt throughout the park while the Tron coaster will attract even more people to the park. What a cluster.

Even if EPCOT gets the Guardians coaster, the Tron coaster fits perfectly with EPCOT's theme and it could use every new attraction it could get. Even though it would be adding two coasters at one time, the park would still only have tow coasters.

And, while I'd rather see Hollywood Studios get more Pixar-related attractions, it would certainly fit with Hollywood Studios' theme (even though there isn't room for it the way things currently stand).

misterID

Just reading through the thread... So speedway is SAFE?? :hungover:

If there's a silver lining at least they'll still have that plot for something else. Maybe its being saved for something else. Something cool. Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom