Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If someone who has been to MK recently could help me out, that would be appreciated- where would a thematically appropriate entrance go? Looking at a map, it looks like someplace near Barnstormer is the way to go, but that's not a future/tech related area over there.
I shouldn't say. I've possibly said enough already. But if plans come to fruition it'll be interesting. Along with a few hints I've posted elsewhere

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Electric cars for the speedway will be a much needed upgrade

AFAIK, no one has confirmed that speedway is getting electric cars.

SPACE MOUNTAIN IS SAFE!!!! *Puts torch flame out and pitch fork back in garage*

Were you enjoying holding this reply for a while as we all started to wet down our legs?

My first thought was, "Now I can stop having a panic attack because Space Mountain is safe."

But I certainly agree with you. Space is a classic, and it should be treated as such.

Anyone who panicked about SM brought it on themselves. There was never any indication it was in jeopardy. Nothing.

This was people whipping themselves into a frenzy. Take a deep breath be like Mary Poppins, y'all.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
For whatever it's worth, I've had it on fairly good authority that Space Mountain would be down for a very long rehab in a few years.

You're the only person who's come up this nugget. Why do you think you have this info but none of the other insiders do?

Castle Cake Apologist

Again... theres no way tron gets built without the glass canopy, light package, and outdoor portion.

Your cultural reasoning is crazy. And slightly racist.

Huh?

How on Earth is what he said "slightly racist" in the least? The Chinese 'shame culture' (an actual term) is pretty well-documented and is a real thing that exists. For what it's worth, I've also heard that was indeed the ultimate reasoning behind putting a portion of the coaster track outdoors.

I would actually say it's more "slightly racist" to automatically assume that a foreign culture doesn't structure itself differently than your own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shame_society#China
https://www.researchgate.net/public...from_the_Perspective_of_Morality_and_Identity
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6802/904e2aaff733c68b488d3bea7d0d9c53ea43.pdf
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/minority-report/201406/asian-shame-and-honor

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
What changed recently that they want to invest so much in the American parks? Is it due to capacity issues or a realization that they neglected the American parks for too long?

Yes and yes.

1. More capacity especially to deal with MK being swamped while the other parks weren't growing that fast.
2. Long period of no capital expenditures
3. Old attractions losing interest and requiring more and more expensive repairs. At some point they have to spend a lot to refurb it, or, just go ahead and build something new, especially for the ones with declining guest surveys.
4. Competition from Universal. Not that Disney isn't still way ahead, but, it's good to make sure you stay way ahead.
5. Economy is good.... enough.

horatiog

AFAIK, no one has confirmed that speedway is getting electric cars.

Anyone who panicked about SM brought it on themselves. There was never any indication it was in jeopardy. Nothing.

This was people whipping themselves into a frenzy. Take a deep breath be like Mary Poppins, y'all.

The assumption that Space Mountain was threatened was based on four things:
  1. Martin's statement that the Tron coaster would go "behind" the speedway.
  2. Martin's reply of "No." to a photoshopped image of a large show building north of Space where he has now confirmed that it will actually go, but extending, I guess, too far north.
  3. The fact that Space Mountain (and Storybook Circus, I guess, but that's too new to be going away) is the only other room left "behind" the Speedway in any direction.
  4. Martin's silence for a while on this specific topic, even though he commented on other things in this thread.
I'd say that these provided more than enough reason to worry about Space Mountain's future. I put absolutely nothing past the current management and their love of shoehorned IP-based rides that replace beloved attractions. But, in the end, I am glad that the Magic Kingdom's best attraction will stay.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
There is so much that was left out of its last refurb that it stands to reason that it will need major work in the not so distant future.

Well, yeah. That's what everyone keeps surmising and have been for years. But in this instance we have someone claiming insider knowledge it's actually happening... sometime. Which really isn't insider knowledge if it's common wisdom and bound to happen anyway... at some time... in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom