WDW To Enforce FP+ Rules

nickys

Premium Member
I'm not reading through 21 pages of this, so can someone please just explain this to me. How was it possible to make FP+ selections on expired tickets, or tickets NOT USED to get into MK/Epcot/DHS/AK???? I'm very confused. Several times I have tried to make FP+ selections on FL Resident tix with family before they were activated, and was never successful until Guest Relations "activated" them for us.

They weren't using expired tickets as in used, they were using tickets that hadn't been used at all and weren't linked to their own MDE profile. Even if they had a "activate by" date in the past, it was OK because MDE allows them to be used. They can be traded at the gate for a new ticket. The term expired is misleading. Or they were using APs of other people etc.

Tom P.

Have we had confirmation of how the new enforcement of these rules will affect hard ticketed events such as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party? You've always been able to book FastPasses between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. on party days, and you can get in at 4 p.m. with your party ticket. If book a FastPass 60 days out because I have regular park tickets linked to my account, but then on that day I enter with a party ticket, am I going to be able to use the FP's? Or am I going to get flagged as cheating and have my account locked?

peter11435

Have we had confirmation of how the new enforcement of these rules will affect hard ticketed events such as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party? You've always been able to book FastPasses between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. on party days, and you can get in at 4 p.m. with your party ticket. If book a FastPass 60 days out because I have regular park tickets linked to my account, but then on that day I enter with a party ticket, am I going to be able to use the FP's? Or am I going to get flagged as cheating and have my account locked?
Just link the party ticket to your account.

Beacon Joe

I can't believe Disney let a loophole like this happen in the first place.

Same here. I first heard about this on a podcast a few weeks ago (the podcast itself was probably probably published a few weeks or months earlier) and was stunned that the system allowed people to tie fast passes to old magic bands not associated with a current ticket. I was also annoyed to learn that the practice seemed to be pretty well-known and prevalent.

Cosmic Commando

Same here. I first heard about this on a podcast a few weeks ago (the podcast itself was probably probably published a few weeks or months earlier) and was stunned that the system allowed people to tie fast passes to old magic bands not associated with a current ticket. I was also annoyed to learn that the practice seemed to be pretty well-known and prevalent.
I'm sort of mad about it, too. The silver lining, I guess, is that the more prevalent it was before (and thus the more mad I should be about it), the better FP+ will be now that Disney stopped it. I thought FP+ was tolerable before, so I'm glad it will be getting better. It might be only 3% better, but it's something.

drizgirl

I'm not reading through 21 pages of this, so can someone please just explain this to me. How was it possible to make FP+ selections on expired tickets, or tickets NOT USED to get into MK/Epcot/DHS/AK???? I'm very confused. Several times I have tried to make FP+ selections on FL Resident tix with family before they were activated, and was never successful until Guest Relations "activated" them for us.
1) The only bands without valid tickets people were using was in the parks same day. They could not make FPs even one day in advance that way. Marginal value, especially in the tiered parks. This was fixed earlier this week by Disney now requiring valid tickets be attached even for same day FPs in the parks. Why they never did before is beyond me.

2) Booking in advance requires valid ticket media. The problem is that Disney never validated and actually required that the ticket be used to enter the park for the FP to be redeemed (like legacy FP did). People were using other tickets they had in their account for the sheer purpose of getting extra advance FPs (over and over on many trips for one set of tickets) and they were using other family members or friends' AP bands to redeem FPs in the parks. If you have a family with 4 APs, but only 2 of them went on this trip, they could bring all 4 bands and double dip every day, including at the tiered parks.

Disney supposedly was fixing this problem by requiring that the ticket used to schedule the FP now be used for entry. But since I have yet to see one single report of anyone being denied a FP or having their account locked, I don't think Disney IT was able to really shut it down. I think this was all a big head fake from Disney. I think that "we'll lock your account on a system sweep tonight" was supposed to scare people from trying.

monykalyn

Apparently, have more than 4 or 5 active magicbands in your MDE account can confuse the system - park entry, room access, etc. I have probably close to 60, most are from resort reservations before Disney added the decline option. I just deactivated all of those, all of my old AP bands and any that I've purchased that I don't use on a regular basis. It's not that difficult to activate/deactivate a MB. I'm appreciative that someone in GS told me having 25 active bands might be an issue. It got so bad one time, a manager at the resort I was staying at took nearly 30 minutes to get the band I was using (my AP band) and had used my trip just 2 months prior, to function properly.
Thank you! We don't have anywhere near that many but I will deactivate the ones we won't use on upcoming trips anyway. Good info to know!

Pirate Magic

Just link the party ticket to your account.

I have tickets MNSSHP I also have park tickets. MDE will not let me link my Halloween tickets, ( when I first went to link the tickets it said to call Disney) since the last upgrade to the app which I think was last week it says it can't link the tickets now. Now I know it is not me or the tickets. Last year I do remember when I linked the Halloween tickets we did get three extra fast passes, but I didn't think anything about it ( we are a party of four). I had no idea this was how people were cheating. It goes to show how clueless I am.

peter11435

I have tickets MNSSHP I also have park tickets. MDE will not let me link my Halloween tickets, ( when I first went to link the tickets it said to call Disney) since the last upgrade to the app which I think was last week it says it can't link the tickets now. Now I know it is not me or the tickets. Last year I do remember when I linked the Halloween tickets we did get three extra fast passes, but I didn't think anything about it ( we are a party of four). I had no idea this was how people were cheating. It goes to show how clueless I am.
That's interesting. I do not have tickets for this year. But in years past I have had no issues linking them to mdx.

Retroman40

As a recent former CM at two FP+ Attractions I thought I can assure everyone that there are so many different FP+ schemes and scams that I could write a book. When someone comes to the FP+ return with stack of 15 or 20 tickets and has to scan 10 or more of them to "find" three with valid FP+s for their party and they don't even ride you know they're probably some kind of "unofficial" guide. I always wondered how long this loop hole would stay open. Of course there are still plenty of other schemes that don't rely on any loopholes but those can only be fixed when a blue light means you aren't riding. My favorite scheme was people who had say 6 people in a group but only 2 or 3 FP+s. They would send the kids in first and then argue and plead to let them in since their kids were already well into the line. If it was super busy that scheme can actually work since there is often a great deal of pressure put on CM's to keep it moving. It would amaze some people here as to how many people with no selections would blatantly scan a card with no selections try to just keep walking by and act surprised when they were told to head to stand by to ride. There are so many more schemes/scams but this is already getting to the point where a response might be TLDR!

matt9112

I think if the dining reservations are within an hour they won't let you do it. But I've definitely booked one under my wife and one under my ID. The 180 day window is beyond stupid, and if I know what restaurant(s) I want to eat at, I will book those restaurants for every day of the trip. As the trip approaches I will cancel them. I don't feel this is abusing the system at all, I think it's "working within the system" because Disney created an unworkable situation.

Back to Fastpasses, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to deny entry to the Fastpass+ queue if you try to enter with a ticket that hasn't been scanned at the park that day. However, if they are "locking" accounts immediately that seems excessive. A simple denial by the front line cast member is the equivalent of the paper rejection in the old kiosks.

not excessive....they should hit ALOT more people with the ban hammer. bad behavior will stop quick. abusing the system? no making it worse for everybody else...yes. should just change it to a same day only system. with the huge 180 day window i think you should be hit with a fee for every reservation thats refunded as you actually check in to dine. the hold system is far too weak when the stakes are far too high. some peoples vacations are made or broken over ADRs.

DisneyGigi

I had no idea this was even a thing until all the news about it. I would not have done it, had I known though. I still will always say paper fastpasses were better. We did not have to make and plan for what we were doing 60 days out other than dining, and if something happened we did not need to use them, we had the option of giving them away. It just seemed better all the way around. I hate FP+. It was a much better day when people were racing to get fastpasses at a machine, rather than staring at a phone the whole time walking into people. I get it is how it is now, but people literally walk around like zombies on their phone now. It is a vacation, make memories, don't end up having to go home and see what it was that you did. Just my thought on it. :-/

rodserling27

If they were vouchers or plastic tickets purchased from Disney, then you should have been able to take the number off them and link them in the app and make fastpasses. If they were from AAA or someplace else and it was like a piece of paper, then yes you would probably have to visit a ticket window first.

What these people were doing was either taking magicbands that didn't have any tickets and using them at the kiosks that day, or they were using friends/family members on their app account and make fastpasses for them even though they weren't going with them, and then using the friends/family magicbands as extra fastpasses while at the parks. The system allowed both of those things until this week.

They weren't using expired tickets as in used, they were using tickets that hadn't been used at all and weren't linked to their own MDE profile. Even if they had a "activate by" date in the past, it was OK because MDE allows them to be used. They can be traded at the gate for a new ticket. The term expired is misleading. Or they were using APs of other people etc.

1) The only bands without valid tickets people were using was in the parks same day. They could not make FPs even one day in advance that way. Marginal value, especially in the tiered parks. This was fixed earlier this week by Disney now requiring valid tickets be attached even for same day FPs in the parks. Why they never did before is beyond me.

2) Booking in advance requires valid ticket media. The problem is that Disney never validated and actually required that the ticket be used to enter the park for the FP to be redeemed (like legacy FP did). People were using other tickets they had in their account for the sheer purpose of getting extra advance FPs (over and over on many trips for one set of tickets) and they were using other family members or friends' AP bands to redeem FPs in the parks. If you have a family with 4 APs, but only 2 of them went on this trip, they could bring all 4 bands and double dip every day, including at the tiered parks.

Disney supposedly was fixing this problem by requiring that the ticket used to schedule the FP now be used for entry. But since I have yet to see one single report of anyone being denied a FP or having their account locked, I don't think Disney IT was able to really shut it down. I think this was all a big head fake from Disney. I think that "we'll lock your account on a system sweep tonight" was supposed to scare people from trying.

Thanks guys!! :)What a ridiculous situation!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom