A Spirited Valentine ...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The crowds for Pandora were no where near that for Potter, so it wouldn't even be possible for Disney to try to make that comparison even by tricky crowd manipulation.

Also, Disney would be crazy if they thought having people wait 8 hours to get into a land was worth the publicity at the same time ticking off all those who were waiting. I've seen no Disney PR comparing their new land to Pottersville... that's the work of the online community.

Several people videoed the line from gate to ride. The only gaps in the line were to let people cut through. The other 'holding pens' were to segregate people with FP from those who don't and people from the Disney resorts utilizing EMH from those who weren't. It was smart crowd control, not PR optics.
I do not think the idea was to compare the crowds to Potter in aerial photos, (which would be hard with the tree cover of AK) but perhaps more to show some BoD(s) that it was a huge success and the lines to get in were huge. I do not think they were making customers suffer either. I have no doubt Pandora did indeed reach capacity, which Im sure they were aware would happen, so why not take advantage and make sure the holding pens and lines were designed to show the popularity it is receiving? Seems like a no brainer. Let me be clear, I am not criticizing Disney, TDO, Burbank or any part of TWDC. As I said prior, I would do the same thing if I was an exec. Why not take advantage and have and/or allow guests to take photos and videos to display what a huge success opening day was via social media?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Happy Summer 2017, y'all.

Just a quick drive-by, although I have some DLP thoughts to come after a recent visit and will try to make time to get them here and out.

What an exciting time it must be to be ... to be ... um ...ah ... yeah ... Joe Rohde. You thought I was going to say a theme park fan (not in an age where theme parks are becoming BRAND/IP parks)? Nope. JR is literally flying coast to coast so many times a week now that one wonders if Zenia is making him donate his UAL miles to TWDC.

It really looks like Disney got Pandora right. Well, right if you excuse the fact that Flight of Passage was supposed to be 'the other' big ride and the Nav'i River ride was going to be small scale, peaceful experience that everyone could do. Don't worry, they're making a similar mistake with the Star Wars Experience.

I do feel bad for Joe in only one small way and that is that everything that is right about Pandora appears to be what's wrong with Guardians Tower in Anaheim. And he has to come out and give a convoluted explanation as to why it fits because he can't tell the truth ''Bob Iger spent $4 billion of buying Marvel and he wants their stuff all over, wherever we can use it!'' So, he spins and then the huge blogging whores pick up on what he says and go back to the "DCA's Tower sucked, dude. If they touched Orlando's, different story. But what a terrible ride and now we have a great one because someone stuck one of the 120 Figment AAs removed from Orlando out of a warehouse and into a queue."

Then, we have UNI's online whores (some of the bigger names are also Disney whores as well) who are trying to spin Volcano Bay's disaster of an opening (something UNI has had down pat in FL since 1990!) into something that it isn't. The last time I heard so much spinning, Spicey was at the podium.

But let's not spoil Disney's moment in the sun (did anyone get Tom Staggs' reaction at the Grand Opening, you know being that Pandora was his baby and all? ... God, sometimes, I can't even take my sarcasm!) For the first time in the entire almost dozen-year tenure, Bob Iger has finally added significant new product to his flagship in the swamps. And now a long hot summer descends on the swamps. Can't wait to see how this plays out attendance wise and operationally at DAK. Me? I'll visit when the weather cools down and I can scout out the area of Dinoland that is very likely going away.

Yes, I admit it. I saw Pirates 5 and I liked it. Didn't fall asleep on the broad shoulders of the EPCOT Explorer like I did for Pirates 4 (think my snoring annoyed some fanbois on that one).

Anyone here notice that Disney-owned ABC is bringing American Idol back ... you know, the same Idol they built a pricey Studios attraction behind, only to dump it?

And SDL's Toy Story Land went vertical in my absence here. You know, Phase 1B of the park. It will have the three attractions that I told you about back in 2013. And the QSR and restrooms that are in. There will also be retail. BTW, have we talked about how the Chinese really don't care about Star Wars? Oh, yeah, my bad.

Someone told me that Soup and Salad Sandra is going away. She was weak even in a position where that is part of the job description. Maybe one of the bloggers who thinks they know what journalism is should apply for the job. It will make reading the Tweeter even more entertaining.

Back on Pandora, I've heard fanbois whine that the food, which looks amazing, locations use generic WDW cups. Well, of course they do. Just like by the winter 85% of that Pandora specialty merchandise will likely be at outlets stores and you'll be able to buy Jack Skellington tees, BB-8 toys and Ariel plush instead. That is what Disney does.

Nice to see Disney add the Pixar concerts and the pre-pyro projection show at The Construction Wall MAGIC Park. I still predict a very ugly rest of the year at Guest Relations.

Anyway, did visit DLP, did enjoy the place (nope, not replaced by a Super Walmart and condos, after all ... who knew?), but I seem to have a lot more issues with the place than the blogging brigade that has decided it will try and 'cover' that resort with 1-2 trips a year. Way too much sparkle and 'Look here, don't look there' going on. ... But an old European favourite is returning in the future and the trajectory of the resort is solid. Will post more on Paris, soon.

Now, time to book FP's for Pandora!

Looking forward to your thoughts on DLP. We are doing two days in London, three in Paris, and two at DLP later this year so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it.

flyerjab

Now that the park is open after dark, Dino-Rama has actually become more valid as an area. Its lightning package is one of the better things about it and does wonders to make the roadside amusement park aesthetic almost charming.

Having been there after dark, I agree with that as well. There really is a lot offered in that area of the park, and the lighting effects really punch up that road side carneval theme.

IMG_7084.JPG

Haymarket2008

Ya, I don't really understand that comment either. The big one is more for everyone and the secondary attraction will be a bit more ridership limited.

I'd hope the falcon isn't that lame considering it used to be the headliner, but not a lot changed with it unlike NRJ. Maybe that's what he means?

The third attraction in SWE was always the lame duck of the three.

I think they definitely need a third attraction, but I don't think Star Wars Experience will be slightly lacking in the other offerings that Pandora does as he said. The whole land is set in a market place with a myriad of shops and two cool dining experiences. That is definitely the "Potter-swatter"

jt04

I would be shocked if they got rid of a dinosaur themed land in DAK. But perhaps it is a bargaining chip. Just seems perfect for the park. Not so much the sub-land called Dinorama. IMO.

Kman101

Can any of our insiders shut this down if not possible, but any chance they add a coaster themed to Indy and re-theme Dinosaur to Indy? (There was a post suggesting Dinosaur could be re-themed). I love the franchise but wouldn't want to see it in Animal Kingdom. Only thing I can think of that would replace that area and would be an easy thing for them to do. I'm not saying I've heard that's what they'll do but what else could replace the area? I'd rather they just dump Chester and Hester's Dinorama and add the Excavator coaster and plus Dinosaur. @marni1971 @Magic Feather @WildcatDen

Rodan75

Random gripe. I think the only ride more jarring than Space Mountain is the MK Monorail. Did they implement automation? And if they did how does 'Automation' suddenly create random bursts of speed and hard braking. Did they automate based on a 16yo's driving profile.

I thought it was a bad driver but every train, every trip?

Cesar R M

Duncan Wardle basically said as much in a YouTube video that's been linked here several times.

This isn't to say that Pandora or Gotg tower have no redeeming aspects, but the narrative is carefully crafted.

And I have doubts that the crowds yesterday were not massaged to appear larger than they were, artificial hold points etc.
I actually wonder about this.

In some of the videos, the crowds seems huge.
yet when they reach avatar for example.. the crowds seems WAAAY less.

davis_unoxx

Random gripe. I think the only ride more jarring than Space Mountain is the MK Monorail. Did they implement automation? And if they did how does 'Automation' suddenly create random bursts of speed and hard braking. Did they automate based on a 16yo's driving profile.

I thought it was a bad driver but every train, every trip?
Lol I'm 16 and a better driver than most people, I'm more like the Disneyland or Tokyo disneyland monorail.

asianway

I actually wonder about this.

In some of the videos, the crowds seems huge.
yet when they reach avatar for example.. the crowds seems WAAAY less.
I've heard every blogger all month saying FOP has a queue that holds 6 hours of people, yet it was posting 3 hour waits at the time the lines were snaking to Oasis.

Ops calibration or PR conspiracy, has to be one, but Pandora can hold way more people than we're being let in.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can any of our insiders shut this down if not possible, but any chance they add a coaster themed to Indy and re-theme Dinosaur to Indy? (There was a post suggesting Dinosaur could be re-themed). I love the franchise but wouldn't want to see it in Animal Kingdom. Only thing I can think of that would replace that area and would be an easy thing for them to do. I'm not saying I've heard that's what they'll do but what else could replace the area? I'd rather they just dump Chester and Hester's Dinorama and add the Excavator coaster and plus Dinosaur. @marni1971 @Magic Feather @WildcatDen
All I've heard is that the land is on the overhaul radar.

huwar18

I really hope they keep Dinoland, U.S.A. As much as a hate the Dinorama, I really enjoy the atmosphere of Dinoland. The hope they just revamp the land.

Magic Feather

All I've heard is that the land is on the overhaul radar.
To (slightly) elaborate, there are two timeframes and two projects being looked at for DAK, both before its 30th, one of which is a Dinoland project, which is all but for, Dinoland options include, and are not limited to: a DinoRama gut and replace, a Dinoland retheme, a Theater in the Wild demo... And others.

Kman101

To (slightly) elaborate, there are two timeframes and two projects being looked at for DAK, both before its 30th, one of which is a Dinoland project, which is all but for, Dinoland options include, and are not limited to: a DinoRama gut and replace, a Dinoland retheme, a Theater in the Wild demo... And others.

Thank you!! Appreciate what you can share ... I recognize it's fairly far off. But I hope they do it right whatever they decide on.

asianway

I doubt they massaged the crowds to appear larger. Let's not. We don't have proof of that. Are you another one who's not a fan of Pandora and wants to downplay it? It was opening day, it's no gauge of the overall success of the land but crowds weren't manipulated. So many conspiracy theories about WDW and how they do things. I don't love a lot of their management and how they run things but you really think they sat there and said let's manipulate the crowds to make it appear more popular than it is? LOL, sorry but I really disagree with that.
AK has underperformed for 19 years despite most everything there, including Pandora, being well done. At this point failure isn't an option

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom