News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Because everyone is is an engineer and the funny part is these systems have been running for 100 years on ski slopes so I'm sure the people who build them can be out smarted by people on this forum.

Nothing new here at all. All this stuff has been worked out years ago, decades ago. Those of you who think you are smart and going to do load times etc. have probably never actually been to a ski resort. For that matter I doubt 5% of WDW's guest have ever been anywhere near a ski slope. As far as America's the US kind I doubt 1% has ever skied and been on a chair lift or any ski related lift.

Who knows what a Tbar is without looking it up?

T bars suck. We skied 2-4 times a year growing up.

Cesar R M

Utility markers? Pffffttt... There are NO GONDOLAS being built... despite what the filed permits, trusted insiders, and utility markers at International Gateway may say to the contrary.

I also say 'Pffffftt..." when the construction equipment arrives and starts digging holes, moving dirt, etc. :p
Nothing is being built, even if shovels are on the ground.. until we see the damn ladder!

Now being serious.. those doubters sometimes sound as bad as Baghdad Bob.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Nothing is being built, even if shovels are on the ground.. until we see the damn ladder!

It's on its way now:

X2FTYsT.jpg

Last edited:

Nj4mwc

Because everyone is is an engineer and the funny part is these systems have been running for 100 years on ski slopes so I'm sure the people who build them can be out smarted by people on this forum.

Nothing new here at all. All this stuff has been worked out years ago, decades ago. Those of you who think you are smart and going to do load times etc. have probably never actually been to a ski resort. For that matter I doubt 5% of WDW's guest have ever been anywhere near a ski slope. As far as America's the US kind I doubt 1% has ever skied and been on a chair lift or any ski related lift.

Who knows what a Tbar is without looking it up?
I'd like to know where you get your numbers about US ski participation, I lived in New England for many years where the schools have a winter break essentially for families to go skiing, Washington state was also quite a popular ski location, my time in cali saw a vast majority of people I knew who skied all the time. Many years spent in jersey where skiing is quite popular oh and now in in DC where the Virginia mountains are always amply crowded, I agreed with your post until your wonderful estimates putting it at 1%

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd like to know where you get your numbers about US ski participation, I lived in New England for many years where the schools have a winter break essentially for families to go skiing, Washington state was also quite a popular ski location, my time in cali saw a vast majority of people I knew who skied all the time. Many years spent in jersey where skiing is quite popular oh and now in in DC where the Virginia mountains are always amply crowded, I agreed with your post until your wonderful estimates putting it at 1%

Well here is a start for you... http://www.nsaa.org/media/275129/participants_15_16.pdf

8million out of 320+million people..

Disone

It is higher than 1% but probably not by as much as you would think.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/4090

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well here is a start for you... http://www.nsaa.org/media/275129/participants_15_16.pdf

8million out of 320+million people..
It is higher than 1% but probably not by as much as you would think.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/4090
I don't want to get bogged down in symantics, but If there are somewhere between 10 and 20 million active skiers each year there are actually many more Americans who have skied and experienced a lift in their lifetime. I have been skiing many times in my younger years but haven't gone in close to a decade now. I wouldn't be in the numbers quoted in your posts, but have some knowledge and experience with lifts. Unless you are only considering avid and active skiers to be "experts" on such things, then the numbers are much higher than 1 or 2%. To put it in Disney terms if 18M people visit the MK per year on average out of 320M people in the country that's a little over 5% of the population (ignoring that not all 18M visitors are unique or American which would make the % even lower), but the number of Americans that have actually visited WDW in their lifetime is significantly larger.

Disone

All good points. The report I link factors those in and as roughly 6.9%. In any given year only about 1% of the U.S. population snkwboards, ski, or other.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All good points. The report I link factors those in and as roughly 6.9%. In any given year only about 1% of the U.S. population snkwboards, ski, or other.
My only point is that I would not be included in that 6.9% number but have been skiiing and used lifts before so I have knowledge of how they work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't want to get bogged down in symantics, but If there are somewhere between 10 and 20 million active skiers each year there are actually many more Americans who have skied and experienced a lift in their lifetime

There is merit to that line of thought. I personally was responding to the 'ski population' comment vs how many have every ski'd.. but I'd also point on the graph that the overall active participants is relatively stable over the 10 year period. So the total churn can't be too crazy.. and the numbers give some idea of scale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom