A Spirited Valentine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The LA Times recently reported the ride is beat-for-beat ToT. Even Florida's Buzz isn't a beat-for-beat copy of Dreamflight despite sharing the same facilities much like MB.

I want to be clear that I don't have any ill will for Rohde, Gunn or Fiege, but they were handed a good bit of "clay" to bring the Guardians to the Disneyland resort. Plus, I know what Joe looks like when he's truly passionate about something, and this ain't it. There were so many options for the Guardians, even semi permanent ones like...
  • A stage show, not unlike the ones that were once staged at D-MGMS for new animated releases. DCA has spaces that could accommodate such a show with minimal impact to the park.
  • A GotG parade
  • A GotG Awesome Mix Karoake carosuel theater show in TL. Even if it were to actually close for the Guardians to be relocated to a proper MVL Land, all the AAs could be repurposed, saving $$$. And it would give DL much more capacity than SW:LB.
If the goal was to have a new Guadians thing for cheap, Joe could have pitched something that is more in tune to the spirit of the films than a crappy overlay of ToT. And who knows, maybe a lukewarm reception to MB may force Marvel to take a more activist role in the development of future projects as Lightstorm and Lucasfilm have.

Mission BREAKOUT and that rumored Cap/Avengers Mega E for SDL/DCA suggests that it will fall in the Pixar category; some really excellent attractions/environments like Cars Land and Tokyo's Monsters Inc with UNI/Six Flags level offerings like TSL and Buzz. For what Disney charges and the incoming goodwill that guests have for these films, that's absolutely unacceptable. And you're right, a land like Pandora works through, not against DAK's theme, but Marvel Land and SWE aren't comprable to that. Now that UNI can do a classic Disney level environments with the Wizarding Worlds and the upcoming Nintendo World, what makes the Marvel and Star Wars offerings belong in the Disney parks? Because now that Disney, under the Bobs, has embraced the UNI multiplex model, what distinguishes these efforts from the competition in a uniquely Disney way? They could just as easily be in a UNI park.

Rides also have budgets and knowing Iger he did not give WDI a large sum to work with so Rohde did the best he could given constraints of available time and budget.

lazyboy97o

That's because most Disney theme park fans are Disney movie fans who happen to like rides, not theme park fans who happen to like Disney movies.
This is not really an adequate explanation as the phenomena is quite endemic to the far wider fixed amusement fandom. You'll see similar attitudes amongst many roller coaster fans or just general amusement park fans. Of late, it seems to be a very strong current in regards to Universal fans hell-bent on proving that they are somehow independent-minded by not caring about such matters.

the.dreamfinder

Rides also have budgets and knowing Iger he did not give WDI a large sum to work with so Rohde did the best he could given constraints of available time and budget.
I couldn't find the number, but I saw a $30-40 million figure being thrown around for this project (probably mostly sucked up by music licensing fees). Add to that WDI's foolish spending habits and a decent figure like that can end up being nothing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I couldn't find the number, but I saw a $30-40 million figure being thrown around for this project (probably mostly sucked up by music licensing fees). Add to that WDI's foolish spending habits and a decent figure like that can end up being nothing.

Frozenstrom sucked up 150 million how i dont know so But construction costs are 3-4x in ca vs the swamps so effectively JR had no budget whatsoever

Princess Leia

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/16/entertainment/roseanne-show-abc/index.html
Roseanne is officially coming back in 2018.

"Roseanne Barr (Roseanne), John Goodman (Dan), Sara Gilbert (Darlene), Laurie Metcalf (Jackie), Michael Fishman (D.J.) and Lecy Goranson (Becky) are all on board for an eight-episode reboot set to air in 2018. Actress Sarah Chalke, who famously picked up the role of Becky in later seasons, will also appear on the series as another character."

The author of the CNN article wrote 'reboot', but Deadline is reporting it as a revival (which is what I'm assuming it will be). The real question here is how does the revival explain Dan being alive?

Side note- Roseanne will be ABC's only multi-camera comedy when it airs in 2018.

Cesar R M

njDizFan

That's because most Disney theme park fans are Disney movie fans who happen to like rides, not theme park fans who happen to like Disney movies.
Is that really true? Honestly I do not know whether most park attendees are theme park fans first of Disney film fans?(I'm sure there is a huge crossover-that's what branding is all about). Personally, I have very little interest in most Disney movies and outside of Fantasyland(where they belong) seeing the original IP on film certainly is not a prerequisite.

matt9112

Maintain the foothold.
The moment unions start to disappear, you will start to see a lot of abuse, particularly from working conditions, working hours, eliminating the "extra hours" and other things.

Doubtful. People don't go backwards. It's easy to make life easier (legally) but to take things away? Much much harder....europeans would rather watch there countries burn than realize there lifestyle is unsustainable.

matt9112

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...rvel-and-more-coming-to-hong-kong-disneyland/

It looks like the HKDL expansions (that OP said were never on the table to begin with, and then said they'd never be approved, and then said they'd be scaled back, and then said they'd be upgraded) is really happening. Looks like the full assortment of stuff is being built too. Hopefully by 2023, HKDL will stand up to the other castle parks, finally! We thoroughly enjoyed our visits to HKDL, but it certainly could have used a few more attractions. Over the next decade, it looks as if the two Chinese parks will end up being the two most unique castle parks in the chain.

EDIT: It also looks like Hong Kong's govt is going to foot the bill. During the last round of expansions, Disney footed the bill in exchange for more equity in the park. Looks like this time, the govt is will to pay in order to expand the park (which they felt is needed) and they do not want Disney to control more equity in the venture. Is there something preventing Disney becoming the majority holder that forced the govts hand?

Looks like Hong Kong SAR didn't batter Disney into submission, kick executives out of the country, blacklist everyone, and take over the park. ;) What gives? :p Time for a new conspiracy.

Florida could and should receive all the attention lately....its so broken HKDL isn't the center piece Florida should be. international parks should be on the back burner until Orlando is fixed IMHO.

matt9112

The interesting thing is that PLAYING team sports is good for kids and teaches valuable life lessons.

Yet modern sports MARKETING does indeed bring the aura of gladatorial games to most team sports in the US

A deemphasis on professional sports would i think be a good thing from a cultural standpoint

Really? Lol it's the last bit of human instinct socially acceptable.

Cesar R M

Doubtful. People don't go backwards. It's easy to make life easier (legally) but to take things away? Much much harder....europeans would rather watch there countries burn than realize there lifestyle is unsustainable.
There are a lot of groups who would love to go back to the "good old times" (where they are the only ones privileged lol)

matt9112

There are a lot of groups who would love to go back to the "good old times" (where they are the only ones privileged lol)

True I won't argue that. But in a democracy they don't really have any sway....look at Obama care (no political argument needed) it was passed and now it's likely never going away...changed yes but It had sweeteners that everyone likes. It's very hard to move backwards WITHOUT a major event to sway public opinion...like say a terrorist attack?

To the point of unions the rights they did guarantee us back than are not going anywhere. Even in non union states like here in Florida wages are going up and benefits more generous due to economic success. Some people will run bad company's....dont work for them. Others will run great company's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom