A Spirited Valentine ...

The_Jobu

hey fellow Mass Effect Andromeda player!

Yeah, MEA was a monstrous letdown. so many bugs and the game was clearly unfinished yet rushed to release for monetary purposes.

-ignore what made your franchise great
-rush out an unfinished product
-get mediocre reviews and sales
-conclude the franchise isn't popular and put it on hiatus

Let's just hope Disney doesn't take on the EA model of fan interaction.

Mike S

Bioware Montreal sure does... [/video game humour]
Hey, it's not their fault.

Their faces were tired ;)
-ignore what made your franchise great
-rush out an unfinished product
-get mediocre reviews and sales
-conclude the franchise isn't popular and put it on hiatus

Let's just hope Disney doesn't take on the EA model of fan interaction.
Sounds like the last 2 Metroid games... :(

the.dreamfinder

Weekend Review #2: The Kurt Russell Issue
tumblr_n9wz7pNa1l1qgp6fto1_500.jpg

["The Strongest Man in the World" (1975) Japanese Theatrical Poster]

To commemorate the release of "Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2", here is a collection of writing about the actor who was the face of Disney's live action comedies in the seventies, Kurt Russell.

We'll get to Guardians Volume 2, but Kurt Russell returned to the Walt Disney Studio in the aughts with two starring roles in "Miracle" and "Sky High". The later film about a high school for the children of superheroes, written by the creators of the Disney Channel animated series "Kim Possible", has become something of a hidden gem from the Studio's 00's era films. In their own special way, BuzzFeed has created an appreciation for the 2005 feature.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/annawrites...o-movie-dlk4?utm_term=.dxrdxA2d0O#.qyJ8moq87X

Here are two excellent pieces, one a profile, the other a long conversation, from GQ and Ain't it Cool News about his long film career.
http://www.gq.com/story/kurt-russell-profile
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66293

Escape-From-NY-Matt-Taylor-VAR_1200_1800_81_s.jpg

Speaking of that prolific filmography, Phil Nobile Jr of Birth.Movies.Death. has compiled a list of the deep cuts, with his turns in genre films as the primary focus.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/03/28/kurt-russell-national-treasure

Soo... where's the Guardians talk? Well how about a short essay on the monstrosity that is Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT?

Sincerity, Cash Grabs, and The Guardians of the Galaxy

I’m more confident about my ability to tell a story by just being honest. People like that honesty, whether that’s as a person saying what my truth is, or as a storyteller. I feel like I’ve kinda danced around telling the truest story I can for many years of my life. I’ve been a little distracted by trying to be shocking or edgy or cool or whatever, and by letting go of that and telling the truest story I can — even if it’s about aliens and talking raccoons — it works.
James Gunn

I always start with the notion that it is the 20th repeat ride, not the first that is the most important. ... [W]hat separates an OK attraction from a great one is that people find themselves "in" the great ones.
Tony Baxter

“Kablam!”
Joe Rodhe

Why do people love the Guardians of the Galaxy? It's certainly not an 'Intellectual Property' with a built in audience, like Spider Man, Batman or Wonder Woman, yet it was the one of the biggest comic book movies of the decade. Rather, I'd posit, it is the heart of the film, and the filmmakers, that connected with audiences. James Gunn created a story, set in an unabashedly colorful sci-fi universe, about a group of misfits that become a family. Star Lord's Walkman and awesome mix volume #1 come through his relationship and the death of his mother and the music of the planet he left behind, functioning as a sort of security blanket in his new life. That's just one example, but, much like the best of Disney, the not exactly family friendly Guardians films are deeply sincere. In watching Guardians Volume 2, it feels as if James Gunn and his cast and crew would still want to tell these stories and explore these characters even if they only had a shoe string budget.

Guardians Volume 2 doesn't have the feeling of discovery or novelty the first film had, but it has something from the first film that is more important, depth. I recently had a conversation with a friend who hadn't seen the new film the other day and the best way I could describe the film was to compare it to Quentin Tarantino's œuvre. The first viewing may be fine and enjoyable, but it's the relationship with the film that emerges from repeat viewings where the film begins to truly reveal itself. The themes of grief and abuse and how these broken characters try to heal themselves, become better people, and save the Galaxy, twice.

Joe Rohde and his team of Imagineers shouldn't be expected to translate what I just described to the theme park setting, but their efforts feel hollow in comparison to the heart from films. And that's the problem with Mission:BREAKOUT, it is incongruous to the heart of the films. Sure there are whiz bangs, KABLAAMS, and talking raccoons, but this attraction, replacing the beloved Twilight Zone Tower of Terror that came through DCA's theme and matched to its appropriate location, is about trading in guest's goodwill for $$$ like an overpriced injected moulded plastic tchotchke.
tumblr_o0pvhvnvXJ1tctq75o1_500.gif

tumblr_o0pvhvnvXJ1tctq75o2_500.gif

tumblr_o0pvhvnvXJ1tctq75o3_500.gif

And that's certainly not the guests' fault that they want to spend time with these characters and perhaps this attraction will be good enough for them. Perhaps folks like me who see Mission:BREAKOUT as a cash grab and a huge thematic step backward for DCA don't appreciate that. However, if we are to accept Marvel [sigh] into the Disney family, a cheap overlay and turning an entire land in a theme park about California into a Marvel land isn't good enough. I want people who love the Marvel Cinematic Universe to have the experience I had when I first saw the Lion King on Broadway; in the spirit of the animated film, but an enthralling and unique experience which could only be realized in the medium of the theater. I want WDI to build immersive environments that fit thematically with the larger park they exist in with awesome attractions. The kind of attractions where the twentieth ride through is better than the first.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

How I would fix the Animated Oscar category (and then I'll shut up about it): create 2 categories, one for 3D/computer animated, and one for 'the others' (2D, stopmotion, painted like the Van Gogh film). While this doesn't solve the animation vs story conundrum, it at least pushes the artistic medium to the front. And who knows, it could make Disney want to dabble in 2D again.
I see where you're coming from, and the Annies did something similar with Best Feature/Best Independent Feature, but it's on the members of the Academy. They're the reason why we're in this pickle where the nominating committee selects a thoughtful list of films and the general voter just picks the one their kid likes. The biggest thing Oscar voting across the board needs would be to lock out voters from voting in a category when they haven't seen all the nominees. That won't necessarily stop Disney/Pixar films from winning every year, but it gives greater weight to the votes that are cast.

Last edited:

csmat99

Weekend Review #2: The Kurt Russell Issue
tumblr_n9wz7pNa1l1qgp6fto1_500.jpg

["The Strongest Man in the World" (1975) Japanese Theatrical Poster]

To commemorate the release of "Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2", here is a collection of writing about the actor who was the face of Disney's live action comedies in the seventies, Kurt Russell.

We'll get to Guardians Volume 2, but Kurt Russell returned to the Walt Disney Studio in the aughts with two starring roles in "Miracle" and "Sky High". The later film about a high school for the children of superheroes, written by the creators of the Disney Channel animated series "Kim Possible", has become something of a hidden gem from the Studio's 00's era films. In their own special way, BuzzFeed has created an appreciation for the 2005 feature.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/annawrites...o-movie-dlk4?utm_term=.dxrdxA2d0O#.qyJ8moq87X

Here are two excellent pieces, one a profile, the other a long conversation, from GQ and Ain't it Cool News about his long film career.
http://www.gq.com/story/kurt-russell-profile
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66293

Escape-From-NY-Matt-Taylor-VAR_1200_1800_81_s.jpg

Speaking of that prolific filmography, Phil Nobile Jr of Birth.Movies.Death. has compiled a list of the deep cuts, with his turns in genre films as the primary focus.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/03/28/kurt-russell-national-treasure

Soo... where's the Guardians talk? Well how about a short essay on the monstrosity that is Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT?

Sincerity, Cash Grabs, and The Guardians of the Galaxy

I’m more confident about my ability to tell a story by just being honest. People like that honesty, whether that’s as a person saying what my truth is, or as a storyteller. I feel like I’ve kinda danced around telling the truest story I can for many years of my life. I’ve been a little distracted by trying to be shocking or edgy or cool or whatever, and by letting go of that and telling the truest story I can — even if it’s about aliens and talking raccoons — it works.
James Gunn

I always start with the notion that it is the 20th repeat ride, not the first that is the most important. ... [W]hat separates an OK attraction from a great one is that people find themselves "in" the great ones.
Tony Baxter

“Kablam!”
Joe Rodhe

Why do people love the Guardians of the Galaxy? It's certainly not an 'Intellectual Property' with a built in audience, like Spider Man, Batman or Wonder Woman, yet it was the one of the biggest comic book movies of the decade. Rather, I'd posit, it is the heart of the film, and the filmmakers, that connected with audiences. James Gunn created a story, set in an unabashedly colorful sci-fi universe, about a group of misfits that become a family. Star Lord's Walkman and awesome mix volume #1 come through his relationship and the death of his mother and the music of the planet he left behind, functioning as a sort of security blanket in his new life. That's just one example, but, much like the best of Disney, the not exactly family friendly Guardians films are deeply sincere. In watching Guardians Volume 2, it feels as if James Gunn and his cast and crew would still want to tell these stories and explore these characters even if they only had a shoe string budget.

Guardians Volume 2 doesn't have the feeling of discovery or novelty the first film had, but it has something from the first film that is more important, depth. I recently had a conversation with a friend who hadn't seen the new film the other day and the best way I could describe the film was to compare it to Quentin Tarantino's œuvre. The first viewing may be fine and enjoyable, but it's the relationship with the film that emerges from repeat viewings where the film begins to truly reveal itself. The themes of grief and abuse and how these broken characters try to heal themselves, become better people, and save the Galaxy, twice.

Joe Rohde and his team of Imagineers shouldn't be expected to translate what I just described to the theme park setting, but their efforts feel hollow in comparison to the heart from films. And that's the problem with Mission:BREAKOUT, it is incongruous to the heart of the films. Sure there are whiz bangs, KABLAAMS, and talking raccoons, but this attraction, replacing the beloved Twilight Zone Tower of Terror that came through DCA's theme and matched to its appropriate location, is about trading in guest's goodwill for $$$ like an overpriced injected moulded plastic tchotchke.
tumblr_o0pvhvnvXJ1tctq75o1_500.gif

tumblr_o0pvhvnvXJ1tctq75o2_500.gif

tumblr_o0pvhvnvXJ1tctq75o3_500.gif

And that's certainly not the guests' fault that they want to spend time with these characters and perhaps this attraction will be good enough for them. Perhaps folks like me who see Mission:BREAKOUT as a cash grab and a huge thematic step backward for DCA don't appreciate that. However, if we are to accept Marvel [sigh] into the Disney family, a cheap overlay and turning an entire land in a theme park about California into a Marvel land isn't good enough. I want people who love the Marvel Cinematic Universe to have the experience I had when I first saw the Lion King on Broadway; in the spirit of the animated film, but an enthralling and unique experience which could only be realized in the medium of the theater. I want WDI to build immersive environments that fit thematically with the larger park they exist in with awesome attractions. The kind of attractions where the twentieth ride through is better than the first.
I have to ask have you been on ride?

lazyboy97o

No and I am not going to "wait and see" with regard to this attraction. Disney has become so single mindedly malicious in destroying its theme parks to shove in new IP, but never asks if these projects best serve these characters/worlds in the long run.
This too gets at the issue of themed entertainment being a lesser medium. While I greatly dislike the notion of a film "deserving" to be in the parks, the actions of what is done in themed entertainment show that the standards are far less than what would be allowed for a film.

One item from Gurdians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 that stuck out to me, in relation to themed entertainment, was the Dairy Queen located somewhere in Missouri. The Dairy Queen is an establishing shot. It has no bearing on the story; as a Dairy Queen it is of no significance. Despite that, the store is branded as a Brazier in the then shot and a Grill & Chill in the now shot. It's so insignificant but it was done because suspension of disbelief is a reaction, not a choice. There are a few people who might notice this branding was off and it was addressed by the filmmakers. This is a detail, and it is the sort of detail and effort that so many so-called theme park fans roll their eyes at and dismiss as pointless and dumb. Efforts of realism, placemaking and detail in cinema are celebrated while similar efforts in themed entertainment are dismissed by so many of its own fans.

csmat99

No and I am not going to "wait and see" with regard to this attraction. Disney has become so single mindedly malicious in destroying its theme parks to shove in new IP, but never asks if these projects best serve these characters/worlds in the long run.
I agree with you with regards to redoing ToT at DCA and pray to god they never touch one at DHS but I do disagree with you writing something negative about what Joe and Gunn pulled off with the ride itself. Neither of them chose to do the overlay. This was management but my understanding of both men and I met Gunn personally is they will do the best they can with the clay someone gave them. I agree the tower looks out of place especially when viewing it from one side. But I just think you went too far when you said Joe efforts were "hollow". You can't even say that unless you go on the ride and see what they were able to pull off.

BrianLo

I wouldn't say they never consider that. They just haven't demonstrated it for Marvel and are often inconsistent with their recent IP projects.

Pandora clearly serves the Avatar franchise quite well. A lot of consideration was put into Star Wars so that it serves the greater whole. Far more to co-exist and serve the canonical universe instead being a best of clipshow, ride a landspeeder or an x wing spinner.

Both those products supplement and aren't merely to recreate/place you inside a movie. Or even necessarily to see characters from those movies like ToT:MB has become.

Also, Disney maliciously ruined its Florida theme parks long before the IP mandate.

the.dreamfinder

I agree with you with regards to redoing ToT at DCA and pray to god they never touch one at DHS but I do disagree with you writing something negative about what Joe and Gunn pulled off with the ride itself. Neither of them chose to do the overlay. This was management but my understanding of both men and I met Gunn personally is they will do the best they can with the clay someone gave them. I agree the tower looks out of place especially when viewing it from one side. But I just think you went too far when you said Joe efforts were "hollow". You can't even say that unless you go on the ride and see what they were able to pull off.
The LA Times recently reported the ride is beat-for-beat ToT. Even Florida's Buzz isn't a beat-for-beat copy of Dreamflight despite sharing the same facilities much like MB.

I want to be clear that I don't have any ill will for Rohde, Gunn or Fiege, but they were handed a good bit of "clay" to bring the Guardians to the Disneyland resort. Plus, I know what Joe looks like when he's truly passionate about something, and this ain't it. There were so many options for the Guardians, even semi permanent ones like...
  • A stage show, not unlike the ones that were once staged at D-MGMS for new animated releases. DCA has spaces that could accommodate such a show with minimal impact to the park.
  • A GotG parade
  • A GotG Awesome Mix Karoake carosuel theater show in TL. Even if it were to actually close for the Guardians to be relocated to a proper MVL Land, all the AAs could be repurposed, saving $$$. And it would give DL much more capacity than SW:LB.
If the goal was to have a new Guadians thing for cheap, Joe could have pitched something that is more in tune to the spirit of the films than a crappy overlay of ToT. And who knows, maybe a lukewarm reception to MB may force Marvel to take a more activist role in the development of future projects as Lightstorm and Lucasfilm have.

I wouldn't say they never consider that. They just haven't demonstrated it for Marvel and are often inconsistent with their recent IP projects.

Pandora clearly serves the Avatar franchise quite well. A lot of consideration was put into Star Wars so that it serves the greater whole. Far more to co-exist and serve the canonical universe instead being a best of clipshow, ride a landspeeder or an x wing spinner.

Both those products supplement and aren't merely to recreate/place you inside a movie. Or even necessarily to see characters from those movies like ToT:MB has become.

Also, Disney maliciously ruined its Florida theme parks long before the IP mandate.
Mission BREAKOUT and that rumored Cap/Avengers Mega E for SDL/DCA suggests that it will fall in the Pixar category; some really excellent attractions/environments like Cars Land and Tokyo's Monsters Inc with UNI/Six Flags level offerings like TSL and Buzz. For what Disney charges and the incoming goodwill that guests have for these films, that's absolutely unacceptable. And you're right, a land like Pandora works through, not against DAK's theme, but Marvel Land and SWE aren't comprable to that. Now that UNI can do a classic Disney level environments with the Wizarding Worlds and the upcoming Nintendo World, what makes the Marvel and Star Wars offerings belong in the Disney parks? Because now that Disney, under the Bobs, has embraced the UNI multiplex model, what distinguishes these efforts from the competition in a uniquely Disney way? They could just as easily be in a UNI park.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

This is a detail, and it is the sort of detail and effort that so many so-called theme park fans roll their eyes at and dismiss as pointless and dumb. Efforts of realism, placemaking and detail in cinema are celebrated while similar efforts in themed entertainment are dismissed by so many of its own fans.

That's because most Disney theme park fans are Disney movie fans who happen to like rides, not theme park fans who happen to like Disney movies.

Princess Leia

In other news it looks like 'The Last Jedi' has been stolen from Disney... Whoopsie something about not leaving IMPORTANT stuff loaded on servers/workstations with an internet connection.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...kers-claim-have-stolen-a-disney-movie-1003949
http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates...-men-tell-no-tales-hackers-ransom-1202094203/ Deadline reported and confirmed that it's Pirates (ironically), and that the hackers are demanding the ransom be paid in Bitcoin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom