A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

LukeS7

Who in their right mind thinks this is an improvement?
View attachment 204319
tumblr_nkejjfub4J1rkc97bo1_1280.jpg
While I do agree that the ToT looked better, those 2 images wouldn't be a fair comparison as the ToT one is a long exposure and the GotG one appears to just be a quick snap from someone's phone. Lighting makes a huuuggeee difference for photos

Mike S

While I do agree that the ToT looked better, those 2 images wouldn't be a fair comparison as the ToT one is a long exposure and the GotG one appears to just be a quick snap from someone's phone. Lighting makes a huuuggeee difference for photos
It's actually pretty fair. A dark picture of Guardians tower where you can barely see it is the best looking picture of it you can get.

Brer Oswald

It is mind-blowingly short-sighted that they are not at least keeping GMR (and updating it--the ride concept is still wonderful) and building a new Mickey ride. It wouldn't solve the park's issues at all, but the last thing they should be doing is repealing and replacing GMR.

Happy to hear WDW is going soft on GotG for Epcot. Not that I'm suggesting it will be, but it would be a clear winner as a new ride at DHS, which still needs more rides (as you suggest) and would be an appropriate park for GotG.
If they turned the back area where animation courtyard is into a silly symphony/Mickey Mouse land, they wouldn't have to axe GMR. The ride facade could be the old Hyperion building from the original studios replacing the Art of animation building, around it would be a town somewhat like Toontown, but with some c-tickets, and the land could extend into a reimagined One Man's Dream. But I guess it's too much to ask for a land that pays tribute to Disney's roots...

RSoxNo1

Who in their right mind thinks this is an improvement?
View attachment 204319
tumblr_nkejjfub4J1rkc97bo1_1280.jpg

The Tower in DCA looked like a cheap knockoff of the DHS counterpart. They painted on weathering in places that were far more visible making it feel almost like an Islands of Adventure version of the DHS tower. Having said that, I've only seen the replacement in pictures and it just looks wildly out of place.

I understand that Mission Breakout will be part of a larger Marvel land, but it requires the entire concept of the recently rebranded park to be rebranded once again. They also took something that was a significant visual intrusion elsewhere in the park (Tower) and made it more obnoxious.

I fully expect the new ride to be very good, if not better than the original Tower but it was an odd, lazy choice.

I disagree. We have the best ride, I think.

Aesthetics are more debatable.

Tokyo's is absolutely goregeous, but I think it suffers a little bit from the squatty, top-heavy chair shape of the newer towers. WDW's is just...perfect.

Funny enough, I think the Guardians tower makes much better use of the building's awkward shape than the pueblo-deco tower did. Pueblo-deco tower was visually divided into horizontal registers, which just made it look more blocky and square. But I still think M:B's detailing and color scheme are unforgivably, offensively hideous.

Disney Sea's Tower is a unique take on the attraction, and the pre-show is really cool. But without leaving the elevator shaft it's no comparison. DHS's is the best of the three.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Last year proved how much Hollywood Tower Hotel merchandise sells. If GOTG was a new build, they'd have even more cash registers dinging.

Rides and parades and fireworks closing down indeed showed how much nostalgia buys will get you.

In fact, this can become Disney's new income model: Change all the rides and attractions constantly every few years and rake in the sales of going-away-merchandise!

Cesar R M

Last year proved how much Hollywood Tower Hotel merchandise sells. If GOTG was a new build, they'd have even more cash registers dinging.
More like they seen enough outrage that the registers would have dinged a lot less than their predictions of GOTG raising it.

Plus with TOT down as well as the other areas.. DHS wouldn't even be worth 25% of what the ticket is priced.

Cesar R M

Rides and parades and fireworks closing down indeed showed how much nostalgia buys will get you.

In fact, this can become Disney's new income model: Change all the rides and attractions constantly every few years and rake in the sales of going-away-merchandise!
Change as in re-skin right?
I do not see them changing the attractions deeply unless the attraction itself is falling apart or with serious health issues.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Change as in re-skin right?
I do not see them changing the attractions deeply unless the attraction itself is falling apart or with serious health issues.

It was a joke to insinuate that basing your business model on profits from 'gowing-away merchandise' was a viable option. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed. Also, the DCA version hasn't yet opened and they haven't gotten any feedback from the general public. (Not that they typically care.) And I would assume they would want to sort out any Marvel logistics before they go all in on the Guardians tower. They may not be able to do what they are doing in DCA at DHS in regards to a Marvel Land. I'm assuming the only reason why Guardians is happening in California is because of the coming expansion.

The general public is going to love Guardians Breakout. They've been told they're supposed to. They also loved ToT, even though you'll hear fans here (mostly WDW) claim no one liked it and it was inferior to WDW's version, so who cares etc.

The thing is Tower was a classic. This attraction will never be. The GotG are not going to have that type of staying power (just watch until someone tells me how good the much lousier than the original Guardians 2 is doing at the box office as some sort of justification).

Guardians was the hook for the Marvel Land at DCA. There was always (as far back as the purchase became a thing) the idea that park would see something ... but when Chappie was able to pitch this to The Weatherman, and sell it, the whole Marvel Land sorta grew up around it. ... All having nothing to do with DCA's theme, but, again, that's fine with today's fans who are ignorant of the difference between theme parks and IP/franchise/BRAND parks.

But I do want to state again ... that Marvel plans for WDW have been (likely still are) rethought.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I gotta think once SWL opens they'd push something forward for DHS so it starts to look like a blended and well rounded park. I mean I seriously hope they're not just going to let launch bay building/animation courtyard sit...

Hahahha ... you're more likely to see another rolley coaster added to DAK ... oops, did I say that in my outside the head voice?:D:greedy:;):cool:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Good to know there are some people left in Disney's office halls who get that,,there are a few other things they need to raise questions about but I guess when you get right down to it chappie is going to get what he wants to get no matter what..but for me personally,I still hope they dont turn our stunning tower into that tacky eyesore of a thing cali got.

I don't think they will at this time -- and I say that as the person who broke the whole Tower news (patting myself on the ample behind right now). But things change. Disney has already changed directions on this and what to do with GotG at WDW multiple times ... so I certainly wouldn't get comfortable with it.

But even though I haven't heard one word, I could see them suddenly changing the one in Paris because they are desperate to put new things in over there and don't want to spend the money required.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would think this is something more substantial than brand confusion. You've already indicated that the GotG appearance in Infinity War has no bearing on this, so I'm curious as to what the hang up would be. The fanboi thought would be that a deal is in the works with Universal to either acquire more characters or concede more characters.

I can't say more. ... I would caution about reading too deeply into this one way or the other. I would also state that BRAND confusion is likely a bigger factor than you might think.

But, no, the movie plays no factor whatsoever, no matter what BS your favorite blogger tries to shovel.

HauntedMansionFLA

The general public is going to love Guardians Breakout. They've been told they're supposed to. They also loved ToT, even though you'll hear fans here (mostly WDW) claim no one liked it and it was inferior to WDW's version, so who cares etc.

The thing is Tower was a classic. This attraction will never be. The GotG are not going to have that type of staying power (just watch until someone tells me how good the much lousier than the original Guardians 2 is doing at the box office as some sort of justification).

Guardians was the hook for the Marvel Land at DCA. There was always (as far back as the purchase became a thing) the idea that park would see something ... but when Chappie was able to pitch this to The Weatherman, and sell it, the whole Marvel Land sorta grew up around it. ... All having nothing to do with DCA's theme, but, again, that's fine with today's fans who are ignorant of the difference between theme parks and IP/franchise/BRAND parks.

But I do want to state again ... that Marvel plans for WDW have been (likely still are) rethought.
I keep thinking that the longer GotG isn't confirmed for EoE at EPCOT there is a chance it will end up in the ToT.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The real question is - what would you think about it, if you had never seen the original?

That's a ridiculous premise.

That's the equivalent of someone never having genuine wagyu beef believing a Whopper is the best beef that exists.

It's the fanboi equivalent of only visiting WDW and thinking PotC is such a good attraction when it is so much worse than versions in Anaheim, Tokyo, Paris and, now, Shanghai.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I understand that Mission Breakout will be part of a larger Marvel land, but it requires the entire concept of the recently rebranded park to be rebranded once again. They also took something that was a significant visual intrusion elsewhere in the park (Tower) and made it more obnoxious.

Meant to address this point weeks ago. There won't be any new reBRANDing of DCA, even after Marvel Land or whatever they call it is built. They put billions into reimagining DCA and it isn't happening again. Two parks at WDW will get new names and one a new identity really, but DCA is going to be DCA.

And Marvel doesn't fit. But none of the Bobs really care at all.

aladdin2007

I don't think they will at this time -- and I say that as the person who broke the whole Tower news (patting myself on the ample behind right now). But things change. Disney has already changed directions on this and what to do with GotG at WDW multiple times ... so I certainly wouldn't get comfortable with it.

But even though I haven't heard one word, I could see them suddenly changing the one in Paris because they are desperate to put new things in over there and don't want to spend the money required.

I appreciate your response and glad to hear ToT may be safer than it was. I have learned to never get comfortable with anything at Disney anymore, especially now that the tiki room is on the endangered species list...a few years ago I never would have thought the Norway pavilion would be reduced to what is now a princess palace and standard disney art prints taking over a chunk of the shop.....this year I never thought I would read the tiki room may go away entirely, and not even get a show change but a total ripping out.....(several years ago wow I cant even keep track) I never would have thought they would have removed a dark ride in fantasyland for a meetngreet..nor did I ever imagine they would just trash spectromagic...I also never expected my favorite Polynesian lobby to be turned generic (just my opinion), so I guess the moral to myself is, dont have a favorite at Disney, because these days especially its likely to not be around long or much longer if its still there....yet things like imagination that really do need attention continue to embarrassingly limp along. Oh and to add to the list lol, the ending of the Great Movie Ride this year, supposedly, as well. But to bring your response back home, its good they are somewhat rethinking marvel plans for here, hopefully thats for the better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom