Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

HMF

I agree, it's too bad that they keep reproducing the same idea with toy story playland and Midway mania.
Mania was originally designed to fit the Pier atmosphere of DCA and somehow they found it easy to fit in DHS with a slight story change.

At least at TDS they also added a Carnival style look and used the original al facade ideas once considered for DCA
The current trend of specifically designing attractions with one park in mind and then shoehorning them into other parks is troubling, indeed.

Skibum1970

12 acres for a tea cup style ride and a coaster is ridiculous. Although I do t mind the idea I think this la d really lacks layering. That coaster track would have looked better with layering underneath it and over it. Make it really look like a child got really creative and used toy boxes and props to create caves and hideaways. These structures could have been used for store and facilities as well as props.

I still think that what they are building could have easily fit in half the land and then use clever landscaping to fit other Pixar properties within those 12 acres. Even if they stayed with the outside garden theme and used properties like bugs life and then transitioned to structural buildings as the area got closer to the stage buildings and created a small monster inc themed area. So much that could have been done without constantly rehashing the toy story land idea

I always thought that they could have built a Pixar Lane atmosphere. Primarily dark rides or an indoor coaster/water ride where each "house" is a Pixar IP's address. With 12 acres, they could have added quite a bit. I keep hearing others mention that this is a short-term add-on and could easily be removed later to add better rides.

Of course, they said the same for the Dinoland area at AK.

matt9112

I always thought that they could have built a Pixar Lane atmosphere. Primarily dark rides or an indoor coaster/water ride where each "house" is a Pixar IP's address. With 12 acres, they could have added quite a bit. I keep hearing others mention that this is a short-term add-on and could easily be removed later to add better rides.

And looks where that still is.

jt04

TSL looks far more complex than Dinorama which would be its DAK analog.

Casper Gutman

I stand alone to defend the honor of Dinoland!

I actually think Dinoland is a witty area that fits in very nicely with the other lands in AK. TSL - based on what we've seen from the art and from every other version - is an inconsistently and uninterestingly themed clutter of mismatched structures occupying a great big chunk of valuable real estate. It's about half a step up from the kids area at a Six Flags. Do not besmirch the mediocre name of Dinoland by comparing it to TSL!

Jones14

I actually think Dinoland is a witty area that fits in very nicely with the other lands in AK. TSL - based on what we've seen from the art and from every other version - is an inconsistently and uninterestingly themed clutter of mismatched structures occupying a great big chunk of valuable real estate. It's about half a step up from the kids area at a Six Flags. Do not besmirch the mediocre name of Dinoland by comparing it to TSL!
I half-agree with you. Dinoland U.S.A., with the Dino Institute, Restaurantosaurus, and gift shop is a witty area that fits nicely into DAK. Dinorama, on the other hand, is Toy Story Land with even more budget cuts. Any area of a theme park that was intentionally designed to look like it was built on top of an old parking lot should not exist.

I'm no fan of Toy Story Land, but it will have a positive impact on DHS as a whole. Dinorama drags Animal Kingdom down in nearly every concievable way.

Goofyernmost

Not alone at all... I understand the reason for it and think it is a fun place for some people and it really does look like a road side carnival, which is how it was supposed to look.

PizzaPlanet

I half-agree with you. Dinoland U.S.A., with the Dino Institute, Restaurantosaurus, and gift shop is a witty area that fits nicely into DAK. Dinorama, on the other hand, is Toy Story Land with even more budget cuts. Any area of a theme park that was intentionally designed to look like it was built on top of an old parking lot should not exist.
I think most of us agree, it's just that everyone is using Dinoland and Dinorama interchangeably.

HMF

I think the most fitting analogue is Storybook Circus in MK. That is good or bad, of course, depending on your point of view. I happen to love the look and feel of SC and have high hopes for TSL.
I would put TSL above Chester and Hesters but below Storybook Circus. (Which might not have much of a shelf life left considering recent events.

RSoxNo1

This goes to the IP vs. Original content conversation. If they're going to have a concept that doesn't lend itself to layered theming (as is the case with Toy Story and Dinorama), it's going to be more successful as an IP. It doesn't make it right, it's just the reality of the situation. Our brains can fill in some of the gaps with familiarity with the IP.

RSoxNo1

I'm no fan of Toy Story Land, but it will have a positive impact on DHS as a whole. Dinorama drags Animal Kingdom down in nearly every concievable way.
Dinorama is a sub-land inside Dinoland USA. Dinoland USA is totally fine as a concept. Dinorama is a black eye on an otherwise amazingly themed park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom