What did you do?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Just under 4 miles in my collective training session only on trails this time (hate them) and in freezing weather with gusty winds. Ok, the weather wasn't truly freezing, but low 40s and the gusty winds really added to the cold feel. And lest I sound too negative ... it was another fastest run ever :)

WDW_Emily

Besides one of the summer shorts, I have no other rundisney races planned for 2017. So I have begun training for the Princess and Star Wars for 2018! I'm debating doing the challenge for Star Wars, we'll see.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Did 4.1 miles (was scheduled to do 5) but somehow I missed on the forecast that the cold winds were back - it was bearable in my neighborhood but down by the lake it was uncomfortable and not worth getting sick over so close to a race (and DD has been in bed since yesterday with a fever and sniffles.)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I did absolutely nothing today....unless you count the 6,039 steps I took walking around Hollywood Studios. And I don't plan on doing anything tomorrow or Wednesday, except leave WDW. :(

Will be back at the gym Thursday afternoon with trainer. Hoping the three blisters on my right foot heal enough so I can walk in the 5k next week to benefit my local animal shelter. Not gone to run this year because last year's 10k is when I fell and broke my left arm. Got a trip to Atlanta over Memorial Day to see the aquarium and I'd rather not have an arm in a sling or any appendage in a cast.

Ran into another Dark Side Challenger today on Star Tours who asked if I was going to be back in January. Told him running just 13.1 miles results in at least 2 blisters on my right foot..and always one under my right pinkie toe, go figure. I'd have to be carried back to my resort and probably rent an ECV if I went for the full marathon....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Did 4.1 miles (was scheduled to do 5) but somehow I missed on the forecast that the cold winds were back - it was bearable in my neighborhood but down by the lake it was uncomfortable and not worth getting sick over so close to a race (and DD has been in bed since yesterday with a fever and sniffles.)

Oh, dear, hope she feels better soon.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Besides one of the summer shorts, I have no other rundisney races planned for 2017. So I have begun training for the Princess and Star Wars for 2018! I'm debating doing the challenge for Star Wars, we'll see.

You need to do the SW Challenges, because you get these....

20170423_131513.jpg

:D

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Oh, dear, hope she feels better soon.

Thanks. Getting over the fever and sniffles will come long before she gets over being a pre-teen ;)

That's awful about the blisters - have you tried changing the socks you run in? I will now only run in Falke brand socks because any time I've run in other brands I get blisters. If only my feet had less expensive tastes ... ;)

And if i didn't say it in the other thread, love your bling :)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You can definitely train for it if you have a year; work backwards from the race date to know when you should start a "serious" training program and between now and then run 2-3 times a week to keep up your fitness level. And maybe use an intermediary race along the way to keep you going. I'll be running a 10 km next week but the only reason I signed up for it is that my training for the DLP half will start a couple weeks later (if I decide to go with a 20 week program) and so i know that I'll already have a good base for increasing mileage and improving speed.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks. Getting over the fever and sniffles will come long before she gets over being a pre-teen ;)

That's awful about the blisters - have you tried changing the socks you run in? I will now only run in Falke brand socks because any time I've run in other brands I get blisters. If only my feet had less expensive tastes ... ;)

And if i didn't say it in the other thread, love your bling :)

I remember when my daughter was that age - and I'm sure things haven't changed with the next generation of kids. Thank goodness social media hadn't become the powerful force it is now. I feel for parents trying to raise kids in the Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat (and any other platform they flock to) age. Overheard a group of teens during our cruise two weeks ago having an in depth discussion about Snapchat. :confused:

I run in Feetures, that's the brand my local running store recommends. And they're not cheap, so the brand you recommended probably wouldn't come as a shock, price wise. I'm assuming I can get them on Amazon.

I just think the pinkie toe on my right foot will always get a blister, even just walking a lot (like a full day at the parks). It's a funny shaped toe...

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Funny you should say you run in Feetures, because I bought them based on reviews and each time I run in them I get blisters!! I wore them a couple of weeks ago for my walking event because all my Falkes had just come out of the wash and I had no other choice ... and i ended up with blisters :mad:

Yes, social media is a problem, but a bit less in my household because we don't use FB, twitter or any other such apps and I'm the mean mommy who thoroughly researches apps before I'll agree to letting her download it on her iPod (which means I keep saying no to Snapchat) She also doesn't have a cellphone yet (she and her best friend are the only two in the entire sixth grade without one) and I'm only agreeing to one next year because she starts Jr. High and will be walking to and from school on her own.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Exactly why I want to do the challenge! I did the princess 10k last year while sick so I was much slower than I would have liked. I think I can train up for the half in a year though.

Galloway's training program for a runDisney challenge is 19-20 weeks. I use his program because (1) it's conveniently on the runDisney website and (2) you can download the schedule into your calendar. If I remember, his training program for the Glass Slipper Challenge starts in late October. He gears his training for finishing upright. I know other runners on this thread use diffent programs.

If you've done the 10k, even sick, don't upgrade to just the Half, go for the Challenge. Unfortunately, it will no longer be named the Glass Slipper Challenge - it's now the Fairy Tale Challenge. :( So those of us who ran this year were the last to get this -

20170226_113439.jpg

The Glass Slipper medal is on the right.

Registration is coming soon- May 2nd. I just realized early registration for AP/DVC is Thursday! Need to put a reminder on my calendar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom