Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Nubs70

The tiki room is a complete bore. Every time I go people get up and leave early because they just cant sit through it (Orlando and Anaheim). In my own opinion "Under new management" was far better and actually funny. Not sad at all to see it go, and now Jose doesn't need to complain about his siestas getting shorter and shorter because they will be permanent.
da Vinci's drawings are simplistic and laughable compared to the technology of today.

Goofyernmost

The tiki room is a complete bore. Every time I go people get up and leave early because they just cant sit through it (Orlando and Anaheim). In my own opinion "Under new management" was far better and actually funny. Not sad at all to see it go, and now Jose doesn't need to complain about his siestas getting shorter and shorter because they will be permanent.
Seriously, I have never seen anyone get up and walk out in WDW and I know that the Tiki Room worshipers in DL would probably hang anyone that did that from the nearest tree if they so much as looked toward the door. I have to wonder what DL and WDW some of you folks go too.

RobbinsDad

trollsign.jpg

Goofyernmost

Nothing needs to be announced for it to be official. The demise of the Great Move Ride is still 'just a rumor' but its happening.
Well, yes and no! It is never happening until it is actually happening. So far it is still GMR just the way it has always been. I may well be changed out, but, it hasn't happened yet, it is just that we have collectively, and possibly with good reason, accepted the statements of others as fact. Could be, but, who knows, things change everyday.

The real rescueranger

Seriously, I have never seen anyone get up and walk out in WDW and I know that the Tiki Room worshipers in DL would probably hang anyone that did that from the nearest tree if they so much as looked toward the door. I have to wonder what DL and WDW some of you folks go too.
Wow, really? Exaggerate much? I myself have walked out of Tiki. My special needs sister in law was scared by it and I had ti take her out. So, there is at least one time. I have to believe there are plenty of other people who have as well. When you use hyperbole like that, no one takes you seriously.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
da Vinci's drawings are simplistic and laughable compared to the technology of today.

Yet they form the foundation of many modern technologies so does their simplicity make them any less significant. No it does not

The Tiki birds are the foundation of AA's. Which of course disney is deprecating in in favor of screenz because screenz are CHEAP!!!!

Goofyernmost

Wow, really? Exaggerate much? I myself have walked out of Tiki. My special needs sister in law was scared by it and I had ti take her out. So, there is at least one time. I have to believe there are plenty of other people who have as well. When you use hyperbole like that, no one takes you seriously.
OK, so since I have never seen anyone walk out (without cause) and you have walked out (with cause) I'm the one exaggerating about how people commonly walk out of the show because it is so bad? What hyperbole are you talking about? If you seriously think that the comment about the people at DL hanging someone for even looking at the door, then you kinda need to work on you humor receptors. Going back to the occasional departure, which I honestly do not remember ever seeing, is hardly an exaggeration, it is fact. I would, however, understand someone leaving for a good reason and it has nothing to do with popularity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
^^^This. I don't think very many people walk out of Tiki Birds because the show is bad. Maybe kids being freightened or needing to use the bathroom, but not just for poor show. There may be a group of people who skip it altogether because it's a show and not a ride. For some people ride count is all that matters.

The Duck

As much as I love the Tiki Birds, I have to admit that I've seen people walk out mid-show. It was the late 70's/early 80's during the now deleted "Offenbach" number which some felt was the dullest part of the show. When DLR refurbed their show, this section was also deleted.

MMFanCipher

Probably won't get back to Walt Disney World for 3 to 4 years and I would LOVE to be able to go see the TiKi birds then! I have the
song The birds all sing and the flowers croon as the ring tone for my daughter!

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Disney is just as ignorant and arrogant as the CEO guy in Avatar.

"You throw a stick in the air around here it falls on some sacred fern, for Christ's sake!"

Following up on this thought with another ignrant and arrogant CEO over at United I heard this on the radio yesterday afternoon:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39675265

Basicly he is no longer in the running to be CEO and chairman of the board something that was supposed to happen soon. They are also rewriting their executive compensation package so that it ties into and is directly affected by guest experience.

Personally sounds like something people around here have been calling for for years, and want to see at Disney. I would be interested to see if this works and would like to see it implemented at DIS as well.

Just sad to see that it takes a media disaster to make serious change in the culture at the top while the bottom rots out in the meantime. That being said if someone needs to volunteer as tribute to be "reaccomidated" to the next available monorail to make this happen... Well then I guess I'm your guy lol.

MarkTwain

Because the main show is like one animatronic and some cardboard cut outs.
This hypothetical would be vastly superior because you would have the whole room to work with in presumably performing songs from the film to accompany the storytelling. If there was some child audience participation props, could probably be something like those tapa pictures that Grandma uses in her storytelling in the prologue instead of clipart on sticks. Really, it'd probably be more like that unused Beauty and the Beast animatronic show concept for Paris that had a live Belle then anything else.

For that matter, how about just a Moana makeover of the Tiki Room? Keep all of the birds and some of the main songs, but add a few live character performers from Moana and have the cast sing a few songs from the film. Throw in some cool projection-mapped effects and an animatronic Hei Hei that pops up and squawks periodically... keep it classy and you could really have something that pleases everybody.

EDIT: rereading your original post, maybe that's more or less what you had in mind.

IMFearless

Haven't read the whole thread but it's a shame they couldn't move the birds to O'Hana.

I know it'll never happen in a million years but it would be cool to have that going on overhead while feasting on that yummy food.

For me the Tiki Birds are just short of being on the untouchable list but I would be sad to see them go away completely.

RoysCabin

Alien Enconter and Timekeeper were better than what they replaced, but obviously both are now gone too.

Good call, and those are pretty good examples of attraction replacements that made sense at the time they were done: the effects of Mission to Mars and the CircleVision theater could certainly have qualified for Tomorrowland in the 70s, but by the mid 90s they simply didn't work very well anymore given how unremarkable the effects, which were the crux of the attractions, were by then for a place focused on "Tomorrow". Vitally, they also didn't fit the theme of the area anymore. Unlike the Tiki Room, shows like Mission to Mars sort of had an expiration date attached to them, and the attempt to redo Tomorrowland's image for '94 gave a reasonable excuse to replace and update. Tropical Serenade may use effects that no longer floor audiences the way they did in '71, but the show is still incredibly thematically appropriate for Adventureland and was designed with a timeless quality in mind, the same way Pirates, Mansion, Imagination, and the front half of most classic EPCOT Center attractions were.

Basically, it'd be nice if replacement projects were saved for older attractions that are not designed with that same "timeless" style, that no longer suit the theme of the area they're located in, and/or center on outdated effects as the heart of the show. But, well, "we've touched up/updated a classic to keep it relevant" doesn't provide the same marketing push that "this is a whole new attraction" does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom