Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Bocabear

You know, maybe a reboot of the attraction would work...with an animatronic Moana, a couple new songs, some updated and exciting storm effects and more in-theater effects... But keep the heart of the room intact with the singing birds and flowers... I would rather this kind of change as opposed to losing it to a Meet & Greet or turning it into retail or dining...

Haymarket2008

Believe me. Adventureland has a bit of a curse of layout with JC and Pirates pinching off expansion plots like a spliceosome. (Thankfully) JC is not on the chopping block, but (sadly) they have a wide variety of underrepresented IP just begging to be in Adventureland (and would be if not for space), such as Tarzan, Lion King (already in AK), Jungle Book, Moana, etc. It will (at the very least) fit better than carpets.

So you think Tiki Birds are dead in the water? Not a chance of them staying?

jt04

Your argument is somehow that old crap is ok at one park but not ok at another.

Disneyland has figured out how to make the attraction relevant and viable that is rather genius. Plus placesetting matters. And the history of the TR is a foundation of that placesetting. I imagine many sense the spirit of Walt Disney in that place. Not his ghost or anything akin but rather being connected to his original vision in his time. That is part of the magic that the WDW version lacks and always will.

jt04

Believe me. Adventureland has a bit of a curse of layout with JC and Pirates pinching off expansion plots like a spliceosome. (Thankfully) JC is not on the chopping block, but (sadly) they have a wide variety of underrepresented IP just begging to be in Adventureland (and would be if not for space), such as Tarzan, Lion King (already in AK), Jungle Book, Moana, etc. It will (at the very least) fit better than carpets.

Music to my ears.

jt04

FWiW, Club 33 is not going into Tiki, it is (gasp) valuable attraction space and will be treated as such. Now will its replacement fit theme wise ? No doubt. Will it make people happy? Depends on the plan they choose.
Wouldn't mind seeing tiki and bears on the chopping block to be replaced by eateries and other "non-attractions" if the replacement is stuff like Indy and WRE in expanded lands. That definitely would be trading up.

jt04

That seems like the worst idea I can possibly think of. Yay, fewer attractions, that's what an overcrowded park needs!

Seriously? You had to edit out the very next sentence that addresses your point. Very sad.

I am suggesting they be replaced by something like the immensely popular BATB restaurant and major E-tickets and expanded lands. The only way to spin that as a negative is to misrepresent what was said. Like I said, sad.

rael ramone

Not much time today, but when people ask why Disney is looking to remove this beloved (only by some, to be fair) attraction ... we need to talk semantics a bit.

While we consider the Tiki Room to be an 'attraction' (please, don't call it a ride ... even by mistake, you look so stupid when you talk about riding a theater show. I hear it with CBJ, HoP, AA etc and it is just wrong) and it certainly was for most of its existence, it isn't now. That's right, Disney does NOT consider Jose and Fritz and Claude etc to be an attraction.

They consider it to be a distraction.

Very big and significant difference all born about from the NGE/MM+ multi-billion dollar reinventing the theme park going experience fiasco.

As explained to me by a friend who was working for Disney when NGE began, but no longer is, attractions were things like Space Mountain, Little Mermaid, Meet Mickey, Wishes, Pirates, Peter Pan etc etc. Anything that had FP+ was defined by TDO to be an 'attraction'. Things like Tiki Room, CBJ, HoP and Peoplemover (some of those which were E-Ticket attractions in the past) were viewed as 'distractions' ... You see, TDO and Nick Franklin and Tom Staggs and Jay Rasulo and George Kalogridis and, oh yeah, Bob Iger too wanted you to take all of that 'extra time' (ask Guests if they feel like they have that today! Go ahead ... ask people in the parks, I'd love to hear what you find out!) and use it to spend more on food and beverage and merchandise. They were 'distractions' to make you not realize that while you weren't standing in a queue for 85 minutes to ride Splash Mountain, you were stuck in Frontierland with two hours before your FP window opened, so you were in fact waiting ... just doing so sans standing in a queue.

Of course, it didn't work out that way. Just like the original FP didn't cause revenue and profits to rise. Disney still doesn't get that with few exceptions, if people have $500 to spend in a day, they won't spend $723 just because they've made all the lines longer in the park and a reservation to do something as simple at get your princess a photo with a Disney one.

But that's another tale ... the thing to focus on is if something at WDW doesn't have FP+ on it, then Disney doesn't consider it (with a very few exceptions) to really have value. They are simply the distractions for you to keep busy while still waiting hours to get on favorite attractions.

Disney has no problem closing attractions or replacing or changing them. Why would you expect them to feel differently about distractions?

I've suspected that one of the reasons that they would (or are going to) reduce capacity is attraction/distraction capacity is distracting guests from their Sacred Duty to buy food, booze and plush.

If you are sitting watching the Tiki Birds, then you aren't buying plush.
If you are riding the GMR, all the time you wait in that queue + ride that attraction, you aren't buying plush.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Too many people say well they should just do this without understanding the market conditions, business aspects, or what it takes to recoup initial investment. Management has done what they had to do to fix and revive the Movie and studio side of Disney that was buried under the last regime. And in order to do that, they have indeed let the parks slide down the list. Appears to me now that the studios are back to what they should be, they have turned their attention and have the money now to begin addressing park issues. Wouldnt have the $ to work with if the studios werent fixed first. But I digress. My position isnt undermined because I think you misunderstand what my position is. Hopefully I clarified it for you.
Someone else who also understands what has been happening. :D

Otterhead

Seriously? You had to edit out the very next sentence that addresses your point. Very sad.

I am suggesting they be replaced by something like the immensely popular BATB restaurant and major E-tickets and expanded lands. The only way to spin that as a negative is to misrepresent what was said. Like I said, sad.
Not at all. You stated that you'd like to replace Tiki and Country Bears with either eateries, non-attractions, or a complete renovation into a brand new land (like WRE). I don't think eliminating a chunk of Adventureland is a good idea at all, nor do I think that eliminating popular attractions is helpful to a park that desperately needs attractions. Why is that "sad"?

Ciciwoowoo

To me, this would be a heart breaking loss, although it would be a personal observation, rather than a business one. My grandpa loved this show and would always whistle and sing, "Let's All Sing like the Birdies Sing". I go there, and I am instantly reminded of him. So, I guess it is a memorial, more than anything else. It would hurt to see it torn down, much like it would hurt someone to see a graveyard torn apart, I suppose. (OK, I realize no dead bodies in Tiki Room!)

I am not a fan of alcohol in the Magic Kingdom, but here, I would totally be willing to make an exception. Turn it into a Tiki Bar, and I will happily pay an entrance fee and drink a pina colada too, just to listen the birdies sing! Take the benches out, put in tables, and it will make a great deal of money for Disney.... Leave the birds alone, please!!!

lazyboy97o

Not to mention, Pirates has become IP and Jungle Cruise looks to be on the way. Really, the whole land will be IP in the end (which is sad, IMHO).
IP is not synonymous with film. It is a far broader concept that predates cinema.

Undermine what position? I wasnt aware I was taking any position other than wait and see before whining or passing judgement? Personally, to me its a cute nostalgic attraction but, based on issues in capacity around the parks, if they remove it in order to replace it with something that helps the bigger problem, then why would I have an issue with it? If noone has any idea what they ARE doing, how can you be so sure it wont be better than what is already present? You are "assuming" they dont know what they are doing. I would suggest that even with the missteps they take from time to time, the apparent new direction is to heavily move to improve the parks. They have tons and tons of ideas and options and if they need to balance out the $ with what will give the guests the best experience, then I am ok with it. While we wont get everything we could dream of for the parks, we should get some. And sometimes hard decisions have to be made. It is business and is no different in any other guest driven industry. So there is no position to "undermine". Its merely more sitting and kind of chuckling at people who constantly complain about management not doing anything or making bonehead decisions which happens in EVERY industry ( new coke is a prime example), then when they start to make hard decisions and fasttrack improving the parks, the same people complain even more because it s not what THEY would do. I control the budget and money for a large company so I understand the concept of ROI and what it takes to make customers happy, while still maintaining a profitable business. Too many people say well they should just do this without understanding the market conditions, business aspects, or what it takes to recoup initial investment. Management has done what they had to do to fix and revive the Movie and studio side of Disney that was buried under the last regime. And in order to do that, they have indeed let the parks slide down the list. Appears to me now that the studios are back to what they should be, they have turned their attention and have the money now to begin addressing park issues. Wouldnt have the $ to work with if the studios werent fixed first. But I digress. My position isnt undermined because I think you misunderstand what my position is. Hopefully I clarified it for you.
That's a lot of words to say so little. If you're going to insist on the 'Disney knows best' mantra it would probably be best to not write essays demonstrating so little awareness of how Disney operates.

jt04

Not at all. You stated that you'd like to replace Tiki and Country Bears with either eateries, non-attractions, or a complete renovation into a brand new land (like WRE). I don't think eliminating a chunk of Adventureland is a good idea at all, nor do I think that eliminating popular attractions is helpful to a park that desperately needs attractions. Why is that "sad"?

I am suggesting major expansions eventually behind BTMRR and POTC could be the long term thinking. These would handle many times the capacity of tiki/bears. And all those new guests drawn in to the MK by major expansion will need places to eat.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You are a smart poster. You truly believe everything they do is for the best? Just curious ...
Of course not. What he stated is that the reason for less park investment was that the other areas of TWDC needed the money more to fix the issues left by the previous regime. Once everything else was on solid footing, they have now turned their attention to the parks. Do I agree with all of their decisions? Heck no.

Sigmundooze

The tiki room is a complete bore. Every time I go people get up and leave early because they just cant sit through it (Orlando and Anaheim). In my own opinion "Under new management" was far better and actually funny. Not sad at all to see it go, and now Jose doesn't need to complain about his siestas getting shorter and shorter because they will be permanent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom