Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

matt9112

Who wants new attractions when you can just replace old ones? Walt Disney World already has enough attractions as it is!

This is infuriating! Just keep pretending those expansion pads don't exist...

So much truth here....MKs problem is lack of attractions not a handful of less popular ones.....the park capacity isn't changing when you drop an attraction for a newer more popular one in fact it's just going to compound the current crowd issues if anything MK needs more new areas period or stop right now and just built other three parks for 25 years.

drizgirl

So, cool experiences are lame, and Moana sucks. Gosh, you're fun. Any positive ideas?

That depends on your definition of "cool". Tech things attached to magic bands are not attractions. I want attractions. But I get it. It's much cheaper to add stuff run by computers and fewer people.

I didn't say Moana sucks. I said replacing the Tiki Birds with a Moana attraction would suck. I have not yet seen the movie. I've heard it's very good and plan to watch it soon. I just think taking a long term classic out of the parks for something just a few months old is very short sighted. Nobody knows yet what its staying power will be. My feelings on it have nothing to do with the movie itself. I look forward to seeing it.

Last edited:

Otterhead

Wait people actually LIKE the Tiki Room? I get the draw of nostalgia but actually LIKING it? Come on. The last three trips, my family was literally the one one in the theater. I won't miss this one bit.
The last two times I've gone -- in 2015 and 2016! -- the theater was packed. Kids were dancing and singing along.

I love the Tiki Room and find it sweet and charming. Yes, shockingly, people like different things than you. Most people, it turns out.

Otterhead

Tech things attached to magic bands are not attractions. I want attractions
I'm talking about ways that existing attractions and new attractions can interact with you by just wearing a magic band. Star Wars Land is set to track your progress and actually customize rides for individual guests based on how well or badly they flew the Millennium Falcon, for example. They're experimenting with things like having costumed characters come meet you in the park on your birthday as a surprise. On my last trip, we did Memory Maker, and were able to get photos and videos on rides tracked to us automatically by just wearing MagicBands. It's a Small World knows your name and says goodbye as you leave. Those are small things that add a lot of color to guests' visits seamlessly.

zooey

Then why not cater for both new comers and established fans? They can afford it. There's a culture of too much replacement in the name of updating and not enough new additions.
I totally agree with this. I love the old stuff. But tiki Room in wdw isn't sacred to me. Disneyland's version is. Spaceship earth is sacred to me. If they ever put that on the chopping block I very well could be done with the east coast.
I just know that everything new gets much maligned around here and it's in my experience that a lot of that stuff is working with a paying audience, as much as I wish it was not.

drizgirl

I'm talking about ways that existing attractions and new attractions can interact with you by just wearing a magic band. Star Wars Land is set to track your progress and actually customize rides for individual guests based on how well or badly they flew the Millennium Falcon, for example. They're experimenting with things like having costumed characters come meet you in the park on your birthday as a surprise. On my last trip, we did Memory Maker, and were able to get photos and videos on rides tracked to us automatically by just wearing MagicBands. It's a Small World knows your name and says goodbye as you leave. Those are small things that add a lot of color to guests' visits seamlessly.

Those would be cool enhancements. Extras on the fringe. Not something I would prefer to give up $2B in potential new attractions for.

Is the Small World enhancement finally working again? Last I heard they had rolled it out then had issues and stopped.

These are all minor peripheral things in my mind.

I guess you're talking about the "surprise and delight" they promised with magic bands initially. But adding photos to Memory Maker (while cool) just doesn't even register on my radar.

Let's be honest, these are the tiny extras they were able to add on for guests. Magic Bands were really about gathering data in the parks to justify staff cuts based on projected attendance and movement of guests within the parks.

DABIGCHEEZ

Yeah, how about not idiotically DESTROYING classic Magic Kingdom attractions to appease the insane amount of Guests with basic taste?
Curious do you enjoy your black & white TV with Rabbit ear antennae, your transistor radio and your milkman deliveries too?

MuteSuperstar

Curious do you enjoy your black & white TV with Rabbit ear antennae, your transistor radio and your milkman deliveries too?

Do you never listen to old music or watch older movies or TV shows?
Visit historical sites or museums?

Do you think the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are outdated relics that should be removed too? What pre-90's attractions at WDW should not be relegated to the dustbin of history?

Last edited:

Otterhead

Yeah, how about not idiotically DESTROYING classic Magic Kingdom attractions to appease the insane amount of Guests with basic taste?
Um. I'm arguing against that, yes. They shouldn't destroy classic Magic Kingdom attractions. Did you somehow think I was in favor of taking away the Tiki Birds?

Fox&Hound

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about this. While I do not love the show myself, I feel sad for those who do enjoy this classic.

I want to know more about speedway being definite and this star wars boutique experience....any more info there?

Haymarket2008

The post has merit. Though I don't know if it's approved and if so which direction of several it'll go.

You really think they will put it on the chopping block? With SO many other things that ACTUALLY need an update? Also, do you have faith in the replacements? Despite the fact that it is a terrible decision.

Last edited:

Bacon

"Besides, there is another high end dining experience coming to the MK that fanbois will be dying to get in.:D;):cool:"
Tommarowland terrace to be enclosed and become a high end restaurant?

Last edited:

NothingRhymeswithOrange

Rode the ride at the end of January the last time we were down there, gotta say there was about maybe 12 people total on the ride. Empty queue, wait times under 10 minutes. Every other ride in the park had anywhere from a 40-70 minute wait and 7dmt had a 120 minute wait time (not like that is unusual). It's upsetting because it's a classic and Disney just doesn't understand replacing existing attractions with new ones won't help alleviate the crowding, but I can see how this would be something under consideration. Adding something new might keep people in adventureland longer to help some of the other rides but won't do much. An eticket in that land should be something that they consider on top of replacing Tiki, just because they need something to eat people throughout the day and help fantasyland/tomorrowland (especially if the rumors of tomorrowland closing rides to replace them and revamp the land is true).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom