News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jt04

I really have to agree. We currently have three modes of transportation between DHS and Epcot (boat, bus, walking) and we will have a forth with the gondolas. To me at least, adding a fifth just seems about as likely as the monorail getting extended to Tampa. Besides once the DHS remodel is complete it will be a true full day park if not a multi day park and people bouncing between the two will drop off conciderably.

A Hogwarts type system would replace the busses, walking and boats. And a lot of security screenings. Wouldn't need to be a full blown attraction. Just nicely themed at the terminating points as seems to be happening with the gondolas.

Cesar R M

I could definitely see this as part of an overall transportation strategy, but the downside of this is the very small passenger density. Having more vehicles carrying a smaller number of people is a nice convenience but it going to lead to more congestion on the roads, even if they are all fully automated.
You bet that disney is going to exploit that congestion by selling stuff for the heat ;)

TiggerDad

A Hogwart's Train ride fails as mass transit because it's not mass.
Do we have any data on what fraction of guests hops from park to park? I know a lot of AP holders and regulars do (and a lot of posters on this site), but is that reflective of guests as a whole? It seems like most of this gondola thread is people talking about using the gondola or a Hogwarts train to hop between Epcot and DHS. But I don't think Disney is looking at it that way.

Flalex72

As the topic of this thread drifts away from the gondola into discussion of other transit options, I'll add my thoughts as well. If we're too far off topic now, let me know.

With the construction of dedicated centre bus lanes on Buena Vista Drive, I have thought for a while that it would be easy to re-purpose those lanes to accommodate Light Rail Transit. I've never been certain of where a train would go at the western end, and this seems even less likely to happen with the Gondola in a portion of the same corridor, but the Boardwalk turn station and "New TTC" station near CBR are both close to the road and could have integrated LRT stations. The trains could go as far west as CSR, AK, or even stretch to the All Star resorts. A stop in the middle of the road for Blizzard Beach would actually be closer to the park entrance than some of the bus stops are now. An LRT system would be flexible, possible multiple "lines" running on the same tracks. There could still be a system where no park is directly connected to Disney Springs, but each hotel is connected to each park by no more than two "higher modes" of transit, just as the monorail resorts are connected to Epcot with a transfer.

For example, one LRT route could run from the Springs across BVD, turning down Victory Way and terminating at the Gondola Transfer station. This gives guests from Pop, AOA and CBR a one or two leg trip to the Springs. Another route would run from the Springs to CSR or possibly even the All Star resorts with stops at Boardwalk Gondola, for CSR guests to access EPCOT via the gondola. Finally, another train from the CBR Gondola station up Victory Way, across BVD and into AK would give CSR guests access to HS; AOA, Pop and CBR guests access to AK and BB; and facilitate park to park transfers between AK or BB and Epcot or HS.

Obviously this isn't backed up by anything, and I would think we'll see enhancements to the bus service along this corridor with larger, dedicated vehicles first, but LRT is the common step up from buses. It can operate in mixed traffic, in dedicated lanes, or completely grade-separated, and can operate in a median lane shared with buses to other destinations. If the concrete bus lanes are already in place it isn't ridiculously expensive, and brings some economies of scale. The entire route, including the bridges over World Drive, has a wide enough median to fit trains with little road modification. Running the trains into each resort and park along the spine creates routing issues, however the gondola solves some of these last-mile issues.

At the very least, I wonder if we'll see a bus stop at the Gondola Transfer Station. It would make some sense to run the rare WWoS buses from CBR, Pop and AOA to that transfer station on a frequent loop, rather than each hotel separately. It would be less convenient than the many bus stops at CBR, but one assumes the people busing to WWoS can handle the walk to the gondola stations at their hotels.

DABIGCHEEZ

I haven't been keeping up on this. I saw the planned routes from Epcot, CBR, and DHS on the original page. Don't plan on scanning nearly 150 pages... but is that all that is being planned or is there more resorts, parks, DS and other locations being planned?

jt04

I haven't been keeping up on this. I saw the planned routes from Epcot, CBR, and DHS on the original page. Don't plan on scanning nearly 150 pages... but is that all that is being planned or is there more resorts, parks, DS and other locations being planned?

Martin has hinted is could be expanded later. I assume that will be based on how phase 1 goes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

That is all that is planned for now.

HauntedMansionFLA

I really have to agree. We currently have three modes of transportation between DHS and Epcot (boat, bus, walking) and we will have a forth with the gondolas. To me at least, adding a fifth just seems about as likely as the monorail getting extended to Tampa. Besides once the DHS remodel is complete it will be a true full day park if not a multi day park and people bouncing between the two will drop off conciderably.
And I keep wishing they would put in a walkable path to DAK from AKL so there would be two modes of transportation since that resort is a deluxe.

roj2323

And I keep wishing they would put in a walkable path to DAK from AKL so there would be two modes of transportation since that resort is a deluxe.

I don't know that a walkable path is in the works but I have to imagine they are at least looking at a second transportation option for that connection.

Creathir

Good because I am rooting for light rail to fill in the remaining gaps.
Not me.

LR is more expensive than the monorail, and usually execs get talked into dropping in the middle of already crowded roadways.

I personally am rooting for PRT or the very unlikely monorail expansion...

roj2323

Good because I am rooting for light rail to fill in the remaining gaps.
Light rail is great for dedicated routes like DAK Lodge to DAK. For other routes however busses simply make more sense because they are more flexible. You can add busses when it's busy take a few away when it's slow, change the routes when guests habits do exc. Light rail on the other hand comes with costly infrastructure and is difficult, expensive and time consuming to adapt to changing needs. There's also the issue of when one train bakes down, the whole line is down whereas with busses they just go around it after picking up the passengers.

Like I said if we ever see light rail it's going to be for a very specific task like DAK Lodge to DAK and not a System with multiple destinations.

jt04

Light rail is great for dedicated routes like DAK Lodge to DAK. For other routes however busses simply make more sense because they are more flexible. You can add busses when it's busy take a few away when it's slow, change the routes when guests habits do exc. Light rail on the other hand comes with costly infrastructure and is difficult, expensive and time consuming to adapt to changing needs. There's also the issue of when one train bakes down, the whole line is down whereas with busses they just go around it after picking up the passengers.

Like I said if we ever see light rail it's going to be for a very specific task like DAK Lodge to DAK and not a System with multiple destinations.

Agreed for the most part. Although if they brought back the FWRR and connected it to the WL it would be cool.

jt04

Those 4/5 size steam trains were a disaster to maintain if I remember correctly. Albeit a pretty damn cool way to travel around the campgrounds.

Yeah, I think they would need faux steam locomotives and a less complex route. PO/Riverside to a couple stations in FW and then WL and back circle would be cool. Not likely but cool.

EricsBiscuit

Yeah, I think they would need faux steam locomotives and a less complex route. PO/Riverside to a couple stations in FW and then WL and back circle would be cool. Not likely but cool.

What killed the Fort Wilderness Railroad was that the tracks were poorly laid and even the 3/5ths scale steamers moved them over time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom