News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

clemmo

So with Rat moving ahead and targeted for 2020, the UK pavilion attraction gaining steam, and the new country pavilion in WS also seemingly gaining traction I'm starting to wonder when we will begin to see things start to move in FW. The MS refurb/updates confirmed is really the only thing that seems green lit there besides the innoventions updates which hopefully will start soon?

doctornick

So with Rat moving ahead and targeted for 2020, the UK pavilion attraction gaining steam, and the new country pavilion in WS also seemingly gaining traction I'm starting to wonder when we will begin to see things start to move in FW. The MS refurb/updates confirmed is really the only thing that seems green lit there besides the innoventions updates which hopefully will start soon?

I feel like @marni1971 indicated that the "spine" work (some sort of replacement/updating of Innoventions) would be the first thing tackled along with M:S. Also, I think some sort of renovations/updates for Living Seas and LwtL are on the table and might occur in the shorter term.

Daveeeeed

I feel like @marni1971 indicated that the "spine" work (some sort of replacement/updating of Innoventions) would be the first thing tackled along with M:S. Also, I think some sort of renovations/updates for Living Seas and LwtL are on the table and might occur in the shorter term.
That makes sense. Get Future World looking sharp again, and fix the (easier to fix) Pavilions, and add some new stuff in World Showcase by adding a couple of attractions.

And finally, to spread out updates, wait to add major new additions to Future World until after MK starts getting things for the 50th.

articos

I have always defended Epcot as it is one of my favorite parks but it is time money gets pumped in fast as two much is in bad shape. Energy needs to either go or be fixed it's current state is sad.

Mission space is getting fixed.

Test track is good.

Soarin is good

Seas is even ok but needs more to do in pavilion. To many empty tanks these days.

Did you get to experience Seas in the early years? I would say it's a crumbling shell of its former self.
I'd actually reverse the order. As ugly as they are, the monoliths were designed by John Hench.
The monoliths, along with the entire entry redesign, were actually done by junior designers (interns) who had no experience in this field, which is why the massing is so wrong. John did not design the Leave a Legacy that was built. His name is out there only because he was the creative design lead overseeing the project and he admitted it went wrong. His initial concept looked nothing like what ended up there.

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

MS the ride will be done this year as per the official dates I believe. The spine is a few years away from completion (it's still developing) but should be well before WDWs 50th.

Are some spine changes still getting underway before the end of this year, as I think you indicated earlier?

huwar18

Losing the tarps and tombstones will be a huge step in the right direction. Add some more palm trees, a new paint scheme to replace the mixture of colors ... to me that's something they could knock out anytime they wanted but I guess they want to package it together with something?

I agree. Those two changes would enhance the entrance of the part big time. In my opinion, that is all they would have to do to make the entrance look better. However, I hope they reconfigure a little more.

gmajew

Premium Member
Did you get to experience Seas in the early years? I would say it's a crumbling shell of its former self.

The monoliths, along with the entire entry redesign, were actually done by junior designers (interns) who had no experience in this field, which is why the massing is so wrong. John did not design the Leave a Legacy that was built. His name is out there only because he was the creative design lead overseeing the project and he admitted it went wrong. His initial concept looked nothing like what ended up there.

I don't disagree but I am not opposed to the IP in the park as long as the rest of the pavilion is used to its full extent. I know they are not ripping out Nemo and it is the least of the problems in the park today. So if they spend the money and time fixing the rest of the pavilion and leave the ride so you can spend time after the ride exploring the fish and the educate the kids then I am all for it.

DznyRktekt

Sort of a "you will never learn how to swim until you jump into the water" situation, or was it that John was close to retirement and was not immersed into the design process? Thank you for you insight into this. These glimpses behind the curtain are why many of us are here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom