Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

WDW1974

The Israel pavilion. The 'North' marker and shoreline indicate plot 5, the plot to the east of Morocco. Next to Japan.
על לא דבר.

2s8psvp.png

That is definitely part of the docs I have. But wondering how you know what plot five correlates to ... And if Israel was going on that side, I'm wondering what was going on the other that had a sign up ... it wasn't Spain ... maybe Venezuela at that time?

WDW1974

This would have been a great addition.

However, it really surprises me that they would have even considered Israel considering all the controversy around the country itself. I imagine that it would in the modern day cause boycotts, or even worse, be a target for a terorrist attack simply due to the symbolism. On top of that, it would shock me if this were to ever be considered to be built again.

Really?

No country is more controversial that ours right now. And WDW has been a terrorist target likely dating to at least the 1990s if not earlier. Cindy's Castle is more a target than any nation at WS now or possibly in the future!

WDW1974

To all the people guessing what the frontrunner is for the possible new WS pavilion, you need to read between the lines. @marni1971 has commented on the likes of certain pavilions (like Spain being considered but unlikely), but has remained silent when Brazil has been brought up multiple times.

The frontrunner is Brazil. It just hasn't been explicitly mentioned as being so (as far as I've read).

I just said this in the new thread, but while I greatly respect @marni1971, I also don't buy that Brazil is coming to WS at all. ... FWIW, this is the type addition that would likely be very closely held on the left coast and not be leaked.

This isn't adding a ride or restaurant to an existing WS pavilion.

Princess Leia

Really?

No country is more controversial that ours right now. And WDW has been a terrorist target likely dating to at least the 1990s if not earlier. Cindy's Castle is more a target than any nation at WS now or possibly in the future!
I think everyone's forgotten about the Orlando shooter casing out Disney Springs last June.

Disney World's a target with or without Israel as a WS pavilion.

WDW1974

And Brazil can foot the bill for the pavilion? @WDW1974 seemed to imply that no new addition will be built without that. But we all know they don't *need* a sponsor. They're just cheap.

I have been told flat out by many people at Disney, including the current Prez (although this was years ago to be fair) that NO new country would be added without 'substantial' investment from outsiders. ... Brazil is not a wealthy nation at all and the Olympic fiasco showed how thin the veneer of improvement truly was down there. I just don't see this happening. Sure, I could be wrong. But it is odd that so many things that are either approved or likely or maybe happening (that either myself and/or others have been posting about) I have been able to get multiple sources to agree on, yet no one has heard a thing about this one except via sites like this or Disney Twitter or other bloggers stealing it etc.

Kman101

I have been told flat out by many people at Disney, including the current Prez (although this was years ago to be fair) that NO new country would be added without 'substantial' investment from outsiders. ... Brazil is not a wealthy nation at all and the Olympic fiasco showed how thin the veneer of improvement truly was down there. I just don't see this happening. Sure, I could be wrong. But it is odd that so many things that are either approved or likely or maybe happening (that either myself and/or others have been posting about) I have been able to get multiple sources to agree on, yet no one has heard a thing about this one except via sites like this or Disney Twitter or other bloggers stealing it etc.

With no inside knowledge at all here, I too have a hard time seeing Brazil actually getting a pavilion, at least anytime soon. It just doesn't seem all that realistic.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Really?

Any symbolic strike on anything related to the Jewish state by an Islamic terrorist group that sees Israel as an illegitimate occupying state would be a huge deal. I didn't mean WDW is t already a target - I meant that this pavilion would probably cause a LOT of issues in today's political climate, and yes I believe that building an Israeli pavilion today would be a much larger deal (in ways of headaches for TWDC) than it would have been 30 years ago.

I won't delve deeper into this as it's bordering on/venturing into politics. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you have to admit that in the past, this would t have caused nearly the issues it would today.

And we have to agree to disagree RE: the more controversial country. Even in the current state of American politics, there are plenty of people in this world who see Israel as MUCH more controversial.

The Empress Lilly

That is definitely part of the docs I have. But wondering how you know what plot five correlates to ... And if Israel was going on that side, I'm wondering what was going on the other that had a sign up ... it wasn't Spain ... maybe Venezuela at that time?
From memory - and I was a wee lad - there was Equatorial Africa and Spain, East of Germany.

I have less recollection of Venezuela than a politician about how his hand ended up in the cookie jar.

I may also remember Spain's location from having seen it two pages ago in Martin's post...

The Empress Lilly

Any symbolic strike on anything related to the Jewish state by an Islamic terrorist group that sees Israel as an illegitimate occupying state would be a huge deal. I didn't mean WDW is t already a target - I meant that this pavilion would probably cause a LOT of issues in today's political climate, and yes I believe that building an Israeli pavilion today would be a much larger deal (in ways of headaches for TWDC) than it would have been 30 years ago.

I won't delve deeper into this as it's bordering on/venturing into politics. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you have to admit that in the past, this would t have caused nearly the issues it would today.

And we have to agree to disagree RE: the more controversial country. Even in the current state of American politics, there are plenty of people in this world who see Israel as MUCH more controversial.
I do believe the likelihood of terror threats and the ensuing necessary security measures played a part in the cancellation of the Israel pavilion.

What irony that WDW ended up with even more security measures than they back then considered compatible with a Disney experience.

Last edited:

articos

Re: Impressions de France...

I have no problems with it staying, but it's a 35 year old film and there's a reasonable argument that stuff like that should be updated or even changed periodically. Some (maybe even most) would regard any replacement as "worse" but I'd at least be willing to give it a shot and would enjoy something new. Much like I support changing out even popular acts among the WS streemosphere, I think most theme park films need periodic changing.

Wouldn't mind them using the same score and similar concept, but just with a brand new film.
These films were supposed to be updated. They should only be there 10 years before being changed. And absolutely, theme park films need to be updated before they feel dated.

articos

I do believe the likelihood of terror threats and the ensuing necessary security measures played a part in the cancellation of the Israel pavilion.

What irony that WDW ended up with even more security measures than they back then considered incompatible with a Disney experience.
Don't need to believe. It did. It was a variety of factors, but that did play into the decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom