Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Princess Leia

What saddens me (and I don't want to extend this conversation much further off-topic) is that I don't feel they gave the concept of Epcot enough of a fair shot. I understand that cartoon E-tickets are popular. I love them to--in appropriate locations. But, despite arguments to the contrary, I do think the original concept of Epcot could still work in 2017. Yes, you would have to modify. Universe of Energy is long for today's crowd. But I still believe you can have a park set in reality that is striving to educate and entertain guests. They still do this at DAK. So the idea that this must be abandoned to make Epcot successful is patently false to me. But, here we are anyway. Best we can hope to learn about is wine, flowers, and (only) Disney art.
I would love it if they could actually build that German river ride. Sure, the internet has allowed people to check out other cultures in countries, but it's not like everyone in the states can or will go to Germany (however, I did 8 years ago and loved every minute I spent there). I think that if it was built this year, the Rhine River Cruise would be pretty popular. Not Frozen popular, but it would would probably have consistent lines. Ditto for a ride behind Japan.

aladdin2007

Except that it's based on a traditional french tale, which would make a lot more sense for cultural sharing (the theme of the world showcase), than a cartoon set in Paris written by Bird who is an American.... Don't get me wrong, I love Ratatouille and Brad Bird. (Actually did a masterclass with him for acting for animators in college.) I just think the world showcase shines best when it incorporates things traditionally from the countries, rather than Americanized appropriation of countries.

but with all the food and wine fests and what not at the park Ratatouille is the perfect fit, if they put more beautybeast in then its just more princess and mk style attractions and theme. This at least gives more of a balance and fits in with the current architecture of the France pavilion inside and out, from what I have seen in pics of the one at disney studios paris.

Mike S

BATB is just NOT the right fit for World Showcase... RAT at least takes place in Paris...not a mythical village in a mythical castle... Magic Kingdom already has all the other pieces of a BATB section...silly to put the ride in EPCOT and the restaurant and M&G in the Magic Kingdom...
Let's be honest here, neither is Rat.
Doesn't anyone ever get exhausted talking about the old EPCOT? It's gone and it's not coming back.
Doesn't anyone get exhausted making comments like this? We're not going to stop just because of you.

rd805

but with all the food and wine fests and what not at the park Ratatouille is the perfect fit, if they put more beautybeast in then its just more princess and mk style attractions and theme. This at least gives more of a balance and fits in with the current architecture of the France pavilion inside and out, from what I have seen in pics of the one at disney studios paris.

Ratatouille has so much modern French culture. There is a lot that can be done that fits nicely (a world class attraction helps too ;) lol).

ToTBellHop

Ratatouille has so much modern French culture. There is a lot that can be done that fits nicely (a world class attraction helps too ;) lol).
It does. Its ride, not as much. A boat ride through Paris primarily exploring French culture with subtle suggestions that Remy the rat is in town would be fine by me. I didn't have a problem with Remy appearing in Les Chefs, either. He was a great distraction from the bland food and crappy service. Not even a rat could distract me from the tacky paper place mats, however. Is that how they eat in France?

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
BATB is just NOT the right fit for World Showcase... RAT at least takes place in Paris...not a mythical village in a mythical castle... Magic Kingdom already has all the other pieces of a BATB section...silly to put the ride in EPCOT and the restaurant and M&G in the Magic Kingdom...
I totally agree with you... The area in MK with BATB evokes the feeling of being emerged in BATB world, if ever a ride would be built, one would hope that it goes where a story is already being told... Thou Epcot was a thought, it doesn't fit because of the setting and timeline of the France pavilion... Ratatouille takes place in Paris. In a Restaurant, that looks just like what is the France Pavilion.

RobbinsDad

Except that it's based on a traditional french tale, which would make a lot more sense for cultural sharing (the theme of the world showcase), than a cartoon set in Paris written by Bird who is an American.... Don't get me wrong, I love Ratatouille and Brad Bird. (Actually did a masterclass with him for acting for animators in college.) I just think the world showcase shines best when it incorporates things traditionally from the countries, rather than Americanized appropriation of countries.
This would be a valid point, except that the original fairy tale has been Disneyfied. Except for Beauty, Beast, a rose, and some good old-fashioned Stockholm Syndrome, there's not a lot resembling the original. So I think both IPs are pretty Americanized.

aladdin2007

It does. Its ride, not as much. A boat ride through Paris primarily exploring French culture with subtle suggestions that Remy the rat is in town would be fine by me. I didn't have a problem with Remy appearing in Les Chefs, either. He was a great distraction from the bland food and crappy service. Not even a rat could distract me from the tacky paper place mats, however. Is that how they eat in France?

this, because it use to be such a great dining location, now they only have a dinner menu and at ridiculous prices, Le Cellier even worse. The lunch menu was fairly nice.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How many more beauty and the beast attractions would you like to see at WDW? We've already got a show, the most elaborate meet and greet, a secondary character experience with Gaston in Gastonia village, a gift shop, a quick serve, and the most popular restaurant at WDW. Perhaps that's why. It can't all be Star Wars, Frozen and BATB.

Don't forget a scene in PhilharMagic and appearing in just about ever MK parade and evening show!

Block me, bro!

FTFY. :D

Remy is a perfect fit because he's already an unofficial mascot of WS. But then again, the BatB ride is a big "Be Our Guest" showcase number and also pretty much in sync with the them of WS. There's enough room for both attractions!

Don't forget "Center"!

Oh... that rhymes. The badge should be: Center Lamenter

jt04

I would love it if they could actually build that German river ride. Sure, the internet has allowed people to check out other cultures in countries, but it's not like everyone in the states can or will go to Germany (however, I did 8 years ago and loved every minute I spent there). I think that if it was built this year, the Rhine River Cruise would be pretty popular. Not Frozen popular, but it would would probably have consistent lines. Ditto for a ride behind Japan.

They could give us a scaled back version called the "Mosel River Cruise".

Which is more scenic anyway.

Bocabear

They could give us a scaled back version called the "Mosel River Cruise".

Which is more scenic anyway.
Or... get LGB that does the toy trains as a sponsor for an adorable train ride through the German countryside.. use a powered train like Casey Jr. Cirus train... build the show building and have it swoop outside behind the model train before it glides back into the station...a sponsor and a relevant attraction.

RobbinsDad

I do get tired of the constant despair and unwillingness to let go of the past. But its hard to fault them for being so sad when you watch and read about what Epcot once was.
Without trying to sound condescending, it's not an unwillingness to let go, it's a lament of what was. Of course times change and any attempt to predict the future is always fraught with problems, but regardless of the attraction or exhibit content, the spirit of what made EPCOT great was all in the "E". If the park changes but the "E" remains, I'm fine with that.

RobbinsDad

Back on topic - I've seen the maps but I'm still confused as to where the possible entrance to Rat might originate. Has there been any discussion about this? The most logical location seems left of the Chefs de France building, but it would be pretty cool if it were somewhere else more "within" the pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom