Jimmy Fallon Ride

danpam1024

Even though the space is "small" where Minions and Shrek currently reside, they can always build up! And with the large US Store in CW and IOA, they could use that space too :)

sjhym333

Anybody know if this will be soft opening still the last week of March like the 29-30? Also how is this in terms of motion sickness would its comp be soarin or a little more intense than that?

A friend who works there says at this point that are pretty well open and scheduled to run in previews until the grand opening.

danpam1024

My kid loved Jimmy, Spongebob, Rugrats, Fairly Odd Parents. It was "his" ride. We also got a double dose of it staying at the former Nickhotel.

Bob Harlem

I don't quite understand the virtual queue... perhaps it's not functioning properly yet? Tim Tracker used it but still waited an hour inside.

They have two ride theaters, but only one is currently operational, the other should be any day now, which should help to speed up the queue greatly. Both should be good to go by the grand opening on April 6th.

cheezbat

I don't quite understand the virtual queue... perhaps it's not functioning properly yet? Tim Tracker used it but still waited an hour inside.
You have to wait to get into the building with the crowds it's had lately. Then, when you're inside the 'lobby', they give you your color to wait to go upstairs. You can look around the lobby at the old Tonight Show stuff. You don't have to stand in any line. Once your color flashes, THEN you proceed upstairs and can sit down, play games, listen to the quartet, watch video clips...whatever until your color is called to the preshow area.
So basically it's not really completely queueless. You're going to have to wait to get in until the crowds die down. Anything new will operate this way.

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
Anybody know if this will be soft opening still the last week of March like the 29-30? Also how is this in terms of motion sickness would its comp be soarin or a little more intense than that?

So to talk about the motion sickness....

I was able to ride this a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure what to expect when I went on the ride so I will share a little bit.

So I have heard from friends and they were comparing it to Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. With around 70 person seating. When Fallon talked about the ride on his show he compared it to Soarin'. When you enter the ride room it has the DM / Star Tours feeling to it. You are wearing a seat belt and 3D glasses. We sat in the front row and I noticed the railing was not connected to the ride area so I knew we were going to move in some fashion. Because it was my first time riding I wanted to pay attention to the film and enjoy the ride. I have a weak tolerance for rides so what I enjoy about the rides like Kong and Transformers is I can look away and know I'm safe. I never felt the seat go into the air at all! About mid way in the film I looked over and saw we had gone high up! I couldn't belive we were so high in the theater because I never noticed the movement. I enjoy Soarin' but I can feel the movements as well as Star Tours. This ride is super super smooth.

Disney Analyst

You have to wait to get into the building with the crowds it's had lately. Then, when you're inside the 'lobby', they give you your color to wait to go upstairs. You can look around the lobby at the old Tonight Show stuff. You don't have to stand in any line. Once your color flashes, THEN you proceed upstairs and can sit down, play games, listen to the quartet, watch video clips...whatever until your color is called to the preshow area.
So basically it's not really completely queueless. You're going to have to wait to get in until the crowds die down. Anything new will operate this way.

No I get that, I meant the return time virtual queue. So far it appears there's no benefit to it.

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
No I get that, I meant the return time virtual queue. So far it appears there's no benefit to it.

I felt the same way the first time I rode the ride. I assume the wait will cut down once the whole thing opens. When I was there I set my Virtual Queue up via the Universal Orlando app. The first room we entered was only half open. It looked like they were working on the floors. Then the second room (up stairs) was pretty packed until they called the next color. We also waited longer then expected in the 3rd room. All in all it's wasn't too bad. The first and 3rd area were the worst at the time. The first area because the room was only half open so it was like a queue and the third area my only complaint was we call called forward during the live performance (which is fine) they were piping in the sound but no video on the tvs. I hope this is something they will add or turn on in the future.

brb1006

I think the problem there was not that many people knew the characters. I did because my kids watched all that stuff at the time. I actually liked Jimmy Neutron. I could even tell you what is on Nick any more, my kids are past that. I do know I don't miss Zack or Cody. Think that was a Disney show?
I recognized every character in that attraction.

rushtest4echo

According to many, the ride has already been significantly toned down. The structure wasn't taking kindly to the forces being exerted, and guest feedback improved as far as motion sickness once the changes were made. Probably for that best. Universal already has enough shake you in a box in front of a screen attractions that were aggressive- it'll be nice to have a less extreme option.

Tom Morrow

According to many, the ride has already been significantly toned down. The structure wasn't taking kindly to the forces being exerted, and guest feedback improved as far as motion sickness once the changes were made. Probably for that best. Universal already has enough shake you in a box in front of a screen attractions that were aggressive- it'll be nice to have a less extreme option.
Eek... really? I rode it on one of the first soft opening days, and even then I thought it was very tame, tamer than Minions.

rushtest4echo

The motion base for this ride is similar to something you'd find on the Magic Eye Theater with 90 degree declination vertical actuators controlling the movement (except Fallon's has much more range of motion). Most of the more intense simulator bases use actuators at or around 45 degrees at their normal declination, making it much easier to accentuate movement on all axis. It's much harder for this ride system to do exaggerated movement on anything but the vertical axis when compared to something like Star Tours.

I'm guessing (without knowing much about Fallon other than how it was explained to me, that it was like the Magic Eye Theater which I've worked on a long time ago) that they would really need to push the actuators pretty hard in order to make it "thrilling", which was resulting in stress to the building. Fallon isn't mounted to any sort of foundation meant for a motion simulator, although I'm sure they braced and retrofitted stuff to make it work. I'm not questioning safety or the engineering of the ride system at all, I don't know enough about it but that would be my guess based on what some have mentioned.

rushtest4echo

I've had the hardest time finding a picture of one with vertical actuators, since most parks don't use the enormous platforms that stuff like Star Tours and Fallon are using. It's usually about jostling around 4, 8 or 16 people- not 40 or 70. Either way, here's the best (small) example of something like Fallon's platform according to what's been described to me (I haven't looked much into it, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to this)-

HTB1GqynIXXXXXa9XFXXq6xXFXXXA.jpg

Compared with something like Star Tours or Sea World's simulator bases:
303c6239a9b4144edbf633b7d358fb1c-300-300.jpeg

Neither of those are exact representations, but you can see why one would be more capable of easily and freely moving a large heavy platform in a somewhat violent manner (the second one, like Tours) and which would need to try harder and likely exert more force on the base of the platform (the first one, like Fallon).

Then again, Tours absolutely ripped apart its platform back when it first opened at Disneyland and needed lots of adjustments to keep the wear and tear down.

JoeCamel

I've had the hardest time finding a picture of one with vertical actuators, since most parks don't use the enormous platforms that stuff like Star Tours and Fallon are using. It's usually about jostling around 4, 8 or 16 people- not 40 or 70. Either way, here's the best (small) example of something like Fallon's platform according to what's been described to me (I haven't looked much into it, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to this)-

HTB1GqynIXXXXXa9XFXXq6xXFXXXA.jpg

Compared with something like Star Tours or Sea World's simulator bases:
303c6239a9b4144edbf633b7d358fb1c-300-300.jpeg

Neither of those are exact representations, but you can see why one would be more capable of easily and freely moving a large heavy platform in a somewhat violent manner (the second one, like Tours) and which would need to try harder and likely exert more force on the base of the platform (the first one, like Fallon).

Then again, Tours absolutely ripped apart its platform back when it first opened at Disneyland and needed lots of adjustments to keep the wear and tear down.

All you have to do is look at BGW to see the system in action. Why are you going out of your way to denigrate this? Oh I know, you want to prove your superior knowledge over any others in the theme park community so it is absolute what an A** you are.

Really, give it a rest and let others play, your antics are tiresome.

rushtest4echo

All you have to do is look at BGW to see the system in action. Why are you going out of your way to denigrate this? Oh I know, you want to prove your superior knowledge over any others in the theme park community so it is absolute what an A** you are.

Really, give it a rest and let others play, your antics are tiresome.

Must have hit a nerve or twenty. :geek: Calm down a bit and lets parse out that relevant information from your post. I was saying that I couldn't locate a picture of the motion platform on that style of ride, not that other examples didn't exist. Still, I wasn't aware that Busch Williamsburg's platform was vertically actuated. Thanks for contributing that information. The other thing that I mentioned was attempting to provide a theory as to why Fallon's ride system was allegedly toned down a bit. It would explain why the reports of motion sickness have been mostly replaced with reports that they ride isn't jarring at all. Would you care to continue with that discussion or would you like to keep asserting what a jerk I am for providing documentation for my arguments/theories?

I've always thought it weird that Busch Williamsburg has a motion base that's in front of a static screen, whereas Tampa chose to go with a more Bermuda Triangle type cabin with the screen integrated into the pod. I wonder why the Sea World simulators and Tampa's are different from Williamsburgs?

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

Over and over and over again from on high. It gets tiresome

When I provide facts and professional/personal experience. Contrasted with something you said in another thread:

I would rather hear from experts that have taken the time to research the subject than wannabees the speak blather out their ..........

Yep the vast majority are spouting .................

I've taken the time to research this, and water parks, and I've spent much of my professional/personal time in theme parks.

So... Which is it?

Because aside from you mentioning a good example of something similar to Fallon, you've not contributed to the discussion. Would you like to discuss anything in particular regarding Escape from New York, or simulators and why some might end up more or less violent based on their construction and other factors? Otherwise, you're simply spouting. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom