Jimmy Fallon Ride

Calm Down Rover

It's not the Hanna-Barbera ride system. Instead of a series of smaller simulator pods, it's six rows of twelve seats as one giant pod. But it feels exactly the same. I also wonder how much creative say Jimmy actually had, I feel like he wouldn't have said "make it exactly like all your other simulator rides and cartoony."

Just think of how many armchair ideas all of us have had over the years that would make a better ride concept than this. Think of how much effort and money was blown on this rather than something new and innovative that people might actually like, just so NBC could be represented in the park for the sake of synergy.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. But yeah, this ride kinda reeks of NBC appeasement. Not to say that corporate synergy has never dictated attraction content, but I really can't imagine anyone seriously thinking that visitors were clamoring for a Jimmy Fallon simulator. I just hope that they happened to choose the worst jokes for that clip, because what they showed sounded like some random guy ad-libbing to a video he's never seen before.

MrMagic

I'm a huge Universal lover, and think Islands of Adventure is the second best park in Orlando...but Studios is a mess. Way too many screen-based attractions. Fallon just adds to that. I think with this add on, Fast N Furious needs to be completely rethought...Terminator and Shrek need to go bye bye for something NOT screen based, and maybe axe the Simpsons ride for an actual dark ride. That's the only way I can see that park becoming more balanced again. I know Super Nintendo World is supposed to help differentiate the attraction roster, but right now the park is a mess.
I think the Simpsons ride shouldn't go, but Shrek and Terminator need to go.

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
Dang, that clip was really grating. Disappointing considering that I find Simpsons and Horror Makeup to be legitimately funny, but I guess Fallon had more creative control? And is there any reason why it chose to use the ancient Hanna-Barbers ride system besides space?
They didn't use the Hanna-Barbera ride system.

Tom Morrow

Ah, thanks for the clarification. But yeah, this ride kinda reeks of NBC appeasement. Not to say that corporate synergy has never dictated attraction content, but I really can't imagine anyone seriously thinking that visitors were clamoring for a Jimmy Fallon simulator. I just hope that they happened to choose the worst jokes for that clip, because what they showed sounded like some random guy ad-libbing to a video he's never
seen before.
Nope. The jokes don't get any better!

I think the Simpsons ride shouldn't go, but Shrek and Terminator need to go.
Definitely. At this point the park will improve without them. Especially Shrek. Shrek should have been taken out before Twister.

captainkidd

Unless my kids want to ride this, I'll skip it. Looks lame, and as I've said before, I can't stand extra long pre-shows.

Although I like HRRR, think of how out of place it is at that park. I love Universal, but I agree, the park needs some more actual rides, though I do think Simpsons is the best simulator I've been on. In fact, Springfield has become my favorite area of the park, and I'm not even a huge Simpsons fan.

FlaMel

I've had the opportunity to experience Race through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon and I enjoyed it. For me, it is fun and entertaining from beginning to end. This attraction is not a blockbuster E-ticket, but not every attraction can be, nor even necessarily needs to be. I think this attraction must be viewed as a whole. If you view from the current paradigm of queue, pre-show and attraction, the ride/attraction portion of the triangle, which in that paradigm is the anchor, may feel a little soft and derivative of other ride systems. I view this as an integrated experience where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, including the ride portion. With that being the case, it becomes extremely important for Universal's attractions operators to ensure that each portion of this experience happens flawlessly each cycle, or if not, they risk exponentially lessening the overall experience.

andysol

I, too, am disappointed at the amount of screen based attractions in Studios. However- Kong does NOT disappoint me at all- perhaps because I was in a "good seat". It is something the entire family can experience together. Transformers is MEH- a filler, but frankly, I've seen plenty of little dudes that come off that ride grinning from ear to ear. As a mother of a son, I can say there's not a lot geared towards little dudes who are not quite tall enough for the coasters. It has a purpose- and it was constructed at the SAME TIME as DA! There was nothing there before, so it's like a total bonus. Minions is absolutely perfect for little ones (they need stuff too). Shrek- well, I'm old school and wish they left Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I loved that show. Simpsons makes me laugh- every.single.time. And IMO, is one of the better simulator rides. I would LOVE for the screens to be replaced with actual sets and animatronic, but can you even IMAGINE how often they would break down? I think I've ridden Mummy a mere handful of times where EVERYTHING was functioning properly. Gringotts, to me, doesn't qualify as a screen based ride, it enhances the experience and is fantastic. That said, I was never really excited about Fallon- he's annoying and kind of stupid. "Race through NY" concept never really seemed exciting. I wish they would have taken Soarin' and Manta and created a hybrid lovechild- that would have been cool. But, the exterior is stunning and really completes the block. So, if nothing else, it's aesthetically pleasing. Once Nintendo is in place, I believe there will be more of a balance. It is hands down still better than the atrocity of DHS- any day.

I agree- Kong is perfectly suited and plenty fine for IoA. It only gets the "screenz" bad rap because of USF's over dependence of them. IoA has a phenomenal ride balance.
In fact- I would argue that IoA needed an indoor screen based ride based on the fact they only had 2 (and one dark ride in Cat in the hat).
12 physical attractions and only 3 with screens- spider man and FJ being arguably the 2 best ever created.

As for Fallon- I'm fine with it if the end goal is a very quick removal of shrek and minions with different attractions. Granted, minions would be hard with its tiny space- but Shrek is a great location with plenty of room for a nice boat, omnimover, or "disc" ride similar to Antarctica (but not terrible). If that's the plan- in addition to SNW- then Fallon actually is a good add.
Then you only have 5 rides in gringotts, transformers F&F, simpsons and Fallon with screens (potentially minions if it stays- which it should until it's broken)- while it would offer 7 rides without screens.

But as it stands now with the current lineup it's an extremely disproportionate 6 screen rides (after F&F) to 4 physical (before SNW).

And although we've heard SNW will have lots of physical sets- I don't see them not having screens there. So it's only going to get worse. The bottom line is- Shrek going for a physical ride and even something like T2 being replaced with a walk through like walking dead (even though I'm not a fan of this) would go a long way for the perception of the park.

opshannon

Rode Race Through New York yesterday. I can't stand Jimmy Fallon. He's so delighted with himself that it annoys me no end. But on to the ride. I am in love with the line-less waiting. Didn't love the singers, but just appreciated the novelty of the way the wait is set up. We could sit down and relax and still be waiting without feeling like we were "theme park waiting". The actual ride was better than I expected. It's a familiar experience but it's very smooth and well executed.

clemmo

Anybody know if this will be soft opening still the last week of March like the 29-30? Also how is this in terms of motion sickness would its comp be soarin or a little more intense than that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom