1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Fallon Ride

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Disneyhead'71, Oct 27, 2015.

1. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Universal lover, and think Islands of Adventure is the second best park in Orlando...but Studios is a mess. Way too many screen-based attractions. Fallon just adds to that. I think with this add on, Fast N Furious needs to be completely rethought...Terminator and Shrek need to go bye bye for something NOT screen based, and maybe axe the Simpsons ride for an actual dark ride. That's the only way I can see that park becoming more balanced again. I know Super Nintendo World is supposed to help differentiate the attraction roster, but right now the park is a mess.

2. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Agreed, and not to mention that much of Studios is looking very run down these days.

dreamscometrue, cheezbat and brb1006 like this.
  3. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

I, too, am disappointed at the amount of screen based attractions in Studios. However- Kong does NOT disappoint me at all- perhaps because I was in a "good seat". It is something the entire family can experience together. Transformers is MEH- a filler, but frankly, I've seen plenty of little dudes that come off that ride grinning from ear to ear. As a mother of a son, I can say there's not a lot geared towards little dudes who are not quite tall enough for the coasters. It has a purpose- and it was constructed at the SAME TIME as DA! There was nothing there before, so it's like a total bonus. Minions is absolutely perfect for little ones (they need stuff too). Shrek- well, I'm old school and wish they left Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I loved that show. Simpsons makes me laugh- every.single.time. And IMO, is one of the better simulator rides. I would LOVE for the screens to be replaced with actual sets and animatronic, but can you even IMAGINE how often they would break down? I think I've ridden Mummy a mere handful of times where EVERYTHING was functioning properly. Gringotts, to me, doesn't qualify as a screen based ride, it enhances the experience and is fantastic. That said, I was never really excited about Fallon- he's annoying and kind of stupid. "Race through NY" concept never really seemed exciting. I wish they would have taken Soarin' and Manta and created a hybrid lovechild- that would have been cool. But, the exterior is stunning and really completes the block. So, if nothing else, it's aesthetically pleasing. Once Nintendo is in place, I believe there will be more of a balance. It is hands down still better than the atrocity of DHS- any day.

Jon81uk likes this.
  4. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

They shouldn't close rides just because they're based on older movies, but that's almost never the only reason Universal closes something. Rides like Jaws and Kongfrontation were both deemed too costly to continue running. Also, Kongfrontation was based on the 1970's version almost no one remembers, not the iconic original.

And aren't they rumored to be closing the Great Movie Ride entirely?

danpam1024 likes this.
  5. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

Figured I would pitch in my two cents. There is a VIP "workaround" to the VQ, which (if presented again) I would not take. It almost rushes you through, out of fear. Museum could add a few things, but was very solid. Same goes for the amazing upstairs, although they need more games. When the color is called upstairs, it shouldn't have you waiting, it should be straight to preshow. Also, once they had the preshow room filled, we waited about 5 min before it started. I hope they will remove that awful applause prompter, for I am not clapping for a TV screen. The ride itself jumped all over the place, but was a net positive.

Princess Leia likes this.
  6. Musicman20

Musicman20 Active Member

I agree with the above as well re: Gringotts. I've ridden it around -10 times now and I've been super impressed. The last few times, I've been more aware how the ride 'works' so I've been looking for where the screens start etc....and especially on the last scene with the huge HUGE screen, it's impressive when the ride gets pulled by the Dragon. Amazing theming in both Potter areas and with Hogwarts Express.

The latest Kong is pretty good. The vehicles are great and the Kong at the end is superb. The screens are ok....but it doesn't beat Kongfrontation.

7. **Stacy**

**Stacy** Active Member

I was able to ride the Fallon ride yesterday. The queue experience was definitely different and nicely done with some live entertainment. I just bought a preferred pass after taking a break for a few years..last time I went they were doing soft open on Transformers. Last week I rode Hogwart's Express and Kong. I was surprised at the number of screens used. I am a little disappointed about all of the screens...but I am still happier about my UOAP purchase than my WDW Silver pass at this point. I am pretty sure the original Kong was far more impressive that the new one if I remember correctly.

Tom Morrow and danpam1024 like this.
  8. Tom Morrow

Here you go. Now you can see how stupid this ride is without even riding it:

vitani88, Mouse Trap and brb1006 like this.
  9. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

I have no words :confused:o_O:eek::facepalm:

Princess Leia, brb1006 and Tom Morrow like this.
  10. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

11. hpyhnt 1000

hpyhnt 1000 Well-Known Member

That pre-show is cringe worthy. From the 20 seconds of nothing but canned applause to the annoying bit with Gary and "SARA WITH NO H!", there's a lot I didn't care for. But I'm not a big Fallon fan so maybe I just don't "get" it. And to give Uni the benefit of the doubt, I'm guessing the applause prompter is meant more as a bit of extra theming rather than an actual attempt to get the audience to applaud.

The queue area does seem really nice though; love the replica of the lobby and the history displays about the show.

No doubt there are some who will love this, but to me it looks quite annoying and juvenile. Again, I'm going to chalk this up to me not liking Jimmy Fallon's schtick. Different strokes and all that...

12. Tom Morrow

I don't think so... I don't really watch him but Jimmy's shtick seems to be "I'm just an every day dude hanging out". Nothing about putting him in the role of essentially Mario Kart has anything to do with his persona or his show.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    vitani88 and dreamscometrue like this.
  13. Calm Down Rover

Calm Down Rover Active Member

Dang, that clip was really grating. Disappointing considering that I find Simpsons and Horror Makeup to be legitimately funny, but I guess Fallon had more creative control? And is there any reason why it chose to use the ancient Hanna-Barbers ride system besides space?

danpam1024 likes this.
  14. Tom Morrow

It's not the Hanna-Barbera ride system. Instead of a series of smaller simulator pods, it's six rows of twelve seats as one giant pod. But it feels exactly the same. I also wonder how much creative say Jimmy actually had, I feel like he wouldn't have said "make it exactly like all your other simulator rides and cartoony."

Just think of how many armchair ideas all of us have had over the years that would make a better ride concept than this. Think of how much effort and money was blown on this rather than something new and innovative that people might actually like, just so NBC could be represented in the park for the sake of synergy.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  15. Calm Down Rover

Calm Down Rover Active Member

Ah, thanks for the clarification. But yeah, this ride kinda reeks of NBC appeasement. Not to say that corporate synergy has never dictated attraction content, but I really can't imagine anyone seriously thinking that visitors were clamoring for a Jimmy Fallon simulator. I just hope that they happened to choose the worst jokes for that clip, because what they showed sounded like some random guy ad-libbing to a video he's never seen before.

brb1006 and Tom Morrow like this.
  16. MrMagic

MrMagic New Member

I think the Simpsons ride shouldn't go, but Shrek and Terminator need to go.

brb1006 likes this.
  17. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member Original Poster

They didn't use the Hanna-Barbera ride system.

18. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

But wouldn't a dark ride through Springfield showcasing your favorite characters be so much better than the simulator?

sunsetblvd26 likes this.
  19. imperius

imperius Well-Known Member

It would be 100% better and hear some rumors it could happen.

cheezbat likes this.
  20. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Not really. Cat in the Hat with Simpsons characters sounds boring.

brb1006 and Corey P like this.