News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JoeCamel

Doppelmayr also offers this lower-profile version without glass for non-drive stations. Sure, Disney could design their own enclosures but we're talking major $$$. I can think of only two modern gondola lifts in North America without standard terminals. Custom colors are as far as most ski resorts go.
img_7744.jpg

This is what a terminal inside a building looks like. Keep in mind mid-stations are twice as long as this end station.
img_6683.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if the end terminals are inside larger buildings but the angle stations end up standing alone.

All the "standard" stations seem to be designed to shed snow so I expect this installation to have something very different unless they were to put a station in tomorrowland. I appreciate all the information you provide this thread, beats guesses and conjecture from people that really don't know squat about the subject.

Bocabear

I imagine the stations will be nicely done...not utilitarian... Like the giant leaf structure they did for the Disneyland Monorail station when they rebuilt it. I know they are cheap at times, but I can't imagine them not spending a little money to make the stations look impressive or at the least, unique.

TiggerDad

All the "standard" stations seem to be designed to shed snow so I expect this installation to have something very different unless they were to put a station in tomorrowland. I appreciate all the information you provide this thread, beats guesses and conjecture from people that really don't know squat about the subject.
What's wrong with guesses and conjecture from people who don't know squat? You're eliminating the vast majority of us on these boards then.;)

Obobru

Thankfully, the new transportation bus displays will make it easy to update guests whenever the gondola is down (e.g. Thunderstorms) and they need to take a bus. I would anticipate those displays coming to resort lobbies soon enough.

Love to know where they will magic up all the buses and drivers if they have cut the bus service to these resorts as people claim they will. Doubt they will be able to just take buses from other resorts at a moment's notice or have a load of drivers sat around in spare busesm while the bus system will have some felxiblity it worn have that much built in or they could just run the bus service alongside the gondolas.

Obobru

That is something they can spin up on demand... change the sandwidch board at the park.. a few sign flips.. and walah.. a bus station again for a route. They always add buses when other systems are down/unavailable.. its something they can do without dedicating a route all the time.
So you're saying they will have the capacity to run buses for 3 large resorts when thunder storm comes rolling in without much warning and the system shuts down? Maybe at a push in the daytime they could reroute some buses but long waits will happen but you can't seriously believe they have the spare capacity at opening or closing times if they have reduced the bus drivers and fleet in favour of this. If they didn't reduce the fleet and drivers then they wouldn't cancel the bus service as people are claiming.

Capsin4

So you're saying they will have the capacity to run buses for 3 large resorts when thunder storm comes rolling in without much warning and the system shuts down?

Do you have any info on what it would take to shut these down and how often that happens in FL? I believe some have said they stand up to rain and wind. I'm sure there's info on what they can take available out there and I was about to start googling it, but decided I'd leave it to those making general claims one way or another. If you have any specific info that would be great. I'd like to know more.

lazyboy97o

I imagine the stations will be nicely done...not utilitarian... Like the giant leaf structure they did for the Disneyland Monorail station when they rebuilt it. I know they are cheap at times, but I can't imagine them not spending a little money to make the stations look impressive or at the least, unique.
Doppelmayr's standard station has already been coordinated for the big piece of equipment that it is all built around. It's a template that can be noticeable but still dressed up to be more unique.

JoeCamel

So you're saying they will have the capacity to run buses for 3 large resorts when thunder storm comes rolling in without much warning and the system shuts down? Maybe at a push in the daytime they could reroute some buses but long waits will happen but you can't seriously believe they have the spare capacity at opening or closing times if they have reduced the bus drivers and fleet in favour of this. If they didn't reduce the fleet and drivers then they wouldn't cancel the bus service as people are claiming.
I'm guessing you are or were a bus driver?

JoeCamel

What's wrong with guesses and conjecture from people who don't know squat? You're eliminating the vast majority of us on these boards then.;)
I would rather hear from experts that have taken the time to research the subject than wannabees the speak blather out their ..........

Yep the vast majority are spouting .................

roj2323

I honestly expect something with British and or French influences. Something that somewhat resembles the monorail station at Magic kingdom but with more of a curved arch to the roof line instead of peaks kinda like an old european train station. I don't however expect it to be overly elaborate.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I was referring to the fact that not running buses all the time... does not mean buses can't be ran when needed. As to capacity and net effect... that's really up to how Disney chooses to operate. But I think you are worrying to much here. This situation already happens today and the world does not come to an end. Disney has plans in place in how to adapt the capacity they have. Case in point?? When the monorails go down for lightning strikes. What happens? Oh wait... buses start running where they were not before.. and while waits may not be ideal, the world keeps on turning.

mmascari

Those aren't the only options. It's a total bus system with hundreds of busses operating in a complete system across all destinations, not independent distinct systems for each route. They can, and already do, all throughout the day change what route a bus is on all the time. It's easy to see anytime a trip from a resort to a park drops you off at a stop that isn't for the resort you came from. That bus just changed to a different loop.

Viewed in isolation of just these resorts, if every bus loop was dedicated. They would need to reserve mostly useless extra busses in case it shuts down. With enough capacity for some basic, probably poor, level of wait time. But, this is the wrong view.

Viewed as a total integrated system, busses are pulled off other loops and redirected. This increases the wait time on those loops that have less busses now. However, the goal would likely be to make that increase small by spreading it around as much as possible. Creating service to replace the missing item, at some basic acceptable wait time.

Adding the new gondola service and eliminating the bus service loops it replaces also done't actually mean they have to eliminate actual busses. It could be that all those actual busses and current drivers are redeployed someplace else in the overall system. Providing better service for the rest of the overall bus system. It could mean not expanding the bus system with additional capacity. This is sort of like eliminating actual busses, by this system meaning they don't need to buy more busses to increase capacity throughout the system. Kind of a "was going to buy more busses next year but don't have to now, so it's a reduction". It's a little twisted logic. It could also mean that they take busses off the road completely, but it's definitely not the only option.

They already do this all day long as capacity needs between different destinations changes throughout the day. In this way, the bus system is actually much more flexible for dealing with capacity changes throughout the day. It's that the actual bus service experience vs a continuous operation system is so much worse. Made worse by the actual road infrastructure those busses rely on being worse and subject to congestion. Part of the capacity changes throughout the day can be traced back to not just the number of people needing a route but also the time a route takes. That's another huge advantage of the gondola system, it's transit times should be significantly more consistent.

ev01

Those aren't the only options. It's a total bus system with hundreds of busses operating in a complete system across all destinations, not independent distinct systems for each route. They can, and already do, all throughout the day change what route a bus is on all the time. It's easy to see anytime a trip from a resort to a park drops you off at a stop that isn't for the resort you came from. That bus just changed to a different loop.

Viewed in isolation of just these resorts, if every bus loop was dedicated. They would need to reserve mostly useless extra busses in case it shuts down. With enough capacity for some basic, probably poor, level of wait time. But, this is the wrong view.

Viewed as a total integrated system, busses are pulled off other loops and redirected. This increases the wait time on those loops that have less busses now. However, the goal would likely be to make that increase small by spreading it around as much as possible. Creating service to replace the missing item, at some basic acceptable wait time.

Adding the new gondola service and eliminating the bus service loops it replaces also done't actually mean they have to eliminate actual busses. It could be that all those actual busses and current drivers are redeployed someplace else in the overall system. Providing better service for the rest of the overall bus system. It could mean not expanding the bus system with additional capacity. This is sort of like eliminating actual busses, by this system meaning they don't need to buy more busses to increase capacity throughout the system. Kind of a "was going to buy more busses next year but don't have to now, so it's a reduction". It's a little twisted logic. It could also mean that they take busses off the road completely, but it's definitely not the only option.

They already do this all day long as capacity needs between different destinations changes throughout the day. In this way, the bus system is actually much more flexible for dealing with capacity changes throughout the day. It's that the actual bus service experience vs a continuous operation system is so much worse. Made worse by the actual road infrastructure those busses rely on being worse and subject to congestion. Part of the capacity changes throughout the day can be traced back to not just the number of people needing a route but also the time a route takes. That's another huge advantage of the gondola system, it's transit times should be significantly more consistent.

Well said.

Magic Feather

FWiW, IG's station will share the look of IG, no major archetectural changes there. AoA and the CBR/ Transfer stops will be a bit more bland, but still with decor. HS and DVC should be nice. The stations will all blend in for the most part. Some will just have more effort put in then others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom