Ferry dock remodel

21stamps

Try going to UNI and experience what it can be. 20 seconds and in your example 3 times so 1 minute total. Sorry you were so inconvenienced in the name of security. Gee I guess I am just too busy to walk! it is all of 10 minutes out of my 15 minute boat trip.
Obviously, yeah I think it's horrible news. I haven't been inconvenienced yet.. but think about it, there's now fences with huge signs on the beaches, the beach chairs are gone.. so to add to that - let's have guests sit on their balcony and now look at a security tent as well!
Want to sit and relax on the boat dock? Too bad. Running late and want to hurry and jump on the monorail- nope, security line first, wait for the next one.

A vacation resort is now just full of security, warnings, and fences. Reminding us every second how much danger we are in at all times. That's the perfect type of atmosphere to create for guests.

Maybe "Security View" could be a new room category.

Last edited:

mm121

Yes, but people staying at the 3 monorail resorts use the launch and monorail several times without going to MK. It's one of the largest benefits of staying at one of them. Especially the two with the launch as well.

I would hope not on that one. Isn't that boat a loop of WL-FW-Contemporary?

unfortunately there's no way around getting checked multiple times since it seems theyve chosen one of the goals to the revamp to being to secure the modes of transportation themselves not just the MK

21stamps

unfortunately there's no way around getting checked multiple times since it seems theyve chosen one of the goals to the revamp to being to secure the modes of transportation themselves not just the MK
Why though? Has there been threats? They're seriously worried about someone bringing a gun, knife, firearm, or bomb on to a small boat..because that small boat is a target for something like that?

Here's what would make sense- have the security check on the docks at MK. Each launch has it's own pier, just place security/metal detector/bag check there.

Last edited:

mm121

Why though? Has there been threats? They're seriously worried about someone bringing a gun, knife, firearm, or bomb on to a small boat..because that small boat is a target for something like that?
none of us are disney so it wouldnt be good to speculate about what threats theyve considered

but from events last summer it was shown to the world that even things that in the past wouldnt have been considered targets now need to be protected as well

21stamps

none of us are disney so it wouldnt be good to speculate about what threats theyve considered

but from events last summer it was shown to the world that even things that in the past wouldnt have been considered targets now need to be protected as well
More people would be killed if someone entered any of the monorail resort lobbies, or restaurants, with a weapon, and chose to use the weapon, than the amount of people who would be killed if the same happened on a resort launch. Or even if someone used a weapon at any of the monorail platforms, before the check.
I have less issue with the monorail than I do with the idea of having security checkpoints on the resort docks.. but still,

Where does it end?

DznyRktekt

More people would be killed if someone entered any of the monorail resort lobbies, or restaurants, with a weapon, and chose to use the weapon, than the amount of people who would be killed if the same happened on a resort launch. Or even if someone used a weapon at any of the monorail platforms, before the check.
I have less issue with the monorail than I do with the idea of having security checkpoints on the resort docks.. but still,

Where does it end?
So when Disney responds and adds security measures, they are overprotective. If they do not respond and something happens, they are out of touch and not concerned with guest safety?

21stamps

So when Disney responds and adds security measures, they are overprotective. If they do not respond and something happens, they are out of touch and not concerned with guest safety?
No, there is responding with reasonable acts- park security checks, and then there is completely ruining an atmosphere-security stations on peaceful boat docks.
Is security going to be before you enter the dock? Do we need a security check to sit on a bench and look at the water? We definitely can't sit on a beach chair. We'll just sit on our balcony and stare at the security station on the formerly peaceful dock.lol. Sounds perfect.

If we are that afraid, and need such drastic measures, then really we should all stay home and never leave our own yards.

DznyRktekt

No, there is responding with reasonable acts- park security checks, and then there is completely ruining an atmosphere-security stations on peaceful boat docks.
Is security going to be before you enter the dock? Do we need a security check to sit on a bench and look at the water? We definitely can't sit on a beach chair. We'll just sit on our balcony and stare at the security station on the formerly peaceful dock.lol. Sounds perfect.

If we are that afraid, and need such drastic measures, then really we should all stay home and never leave our own yards.
I'm sure the company is reacting to this issue with the recent alligator attack and the resulting public/media feeding frenzy fresh in their minds.

Biff215

Where does it end?
A big part of the problem is the unique design of the MK. I do believe they'd like to secure the iconic monorail better, but I think this is more about eliminating the bottleneck at the park gates. As someone had joked earlier, we will soon be going through security in SSL if they don't change anything.

I agree that this isn't perfect, especially for those staying at the MK resorts. We just decided to stay at Poly for our summer trip, so it will be interesting as this is rumored to begin this spring. As long as they set it up right, I think I'd prefer this to the uncomfortable crowds that form during peak times directly in front of the MK.

21stamps

A big part of the problem is the unique design of the MK. I do believe they'd like to secure the iconic monorail better, but I think this is more about eliminating the bottleneck at the park gates. As someone had joked earlier, we will soon be going through security in SSL if they don't change anything.

I agree that this isn't perfect, especially for those staying at the MK resorts. We just decided to stay at Poly for our summer trip, so it will be interesting as this is rumored to begin this spring. As long as they set it up right, I think I'd prefer this to the uncomfortable crowds that form during peak times directly in front of the MK.

A MK dock security station wouldn't create a bottle neck. Not one with any more people than would be gathered on the GF/Poly docks.

Anyway, Poly is still an amazing resort. Enjoy your trip!!

Biff215

A MK dock security station wouldn't create a bottle neck. Not one with any more people than would be gathered on the GF/Poly docks.

Anyway, Poly is still an amazing resort. Enjoy your trip!!
Thanks. I agree the docks are overkill, but they're also right next to the monorail station. Since the buses are already creating a bottleneck, I would guess they want to limit security to the one side as much as possible. As others have mentioned, this whole thing is a logistical nightmare. There are just too many ways to get to the MK!

Magic Feather

The problem is that there is simply not enough room at MK's entrance for the security capacity needed now. The new TTC ones alone should be as big, if not bigger than the current check points. Same for the buses. From what I recall, the boat security enhancements will be under the existing structures at the docks. While in certain instances, it may be a bit of an inconvenience, I would rather wait 20 seconds three times than 2 min once.

mm121

Where does it end?

i do agree that the small boat docks is a bit odd, as it seems like it would be better from an employee efficiency standpoint to do a centralized screening area for the small boat docks

rather than potentially having security personnel standing around with no one to screen, and i feel like having small groups of security at the docks like 2 people is possibly opening up holes vs a larger screening area where the security personnel are under the watch of their co workers and managers

as no one is perfect and i dont know what kind of background checks are done on the security personel and if bad people know where the holes are the are more likely to use them

mm121

Probably something like bag check in the first set of tents, metal detectors in the second. Either way they are for security purposes.

i originally thought a setup like that to

but someone could put something on their body while their bag is being checked

then slip it into their bag while their body is going thru the metal detector

Slowjack

I don't understand the concern here with being checked at the hotels. Universal does it and has done it for quite a while when you board a boat from the hotel. Not a problem, takes less than 20 seconds to pull out your metal and walk through a detector. Unless you pack your house then this is not going to impact you but will be much faster than joining a hoard of monorail and boat people along with the buses trying to get in the MK.

And if you want to go to the Poly from GF walk! it will do you good.
The fact that you can walk from the Polynesian to the Grand Floridian ought to indicate how silly it is to check someone before they board a boat or monorail to make the same trip. "Sterile zone." Right. Are they going to perform security checks before they allow someone to drive into a resort parking lot? If not, then the resorts are not protected (and let's be clear, they wouldn't really be protected even if they did check people at the resort gates). If the resorts are not protected, then checking people on resort-to-resort launches is just protecting the boats, not the people on the boats. I'm sorry about this rant, which isn't directly at you personally, Mr. Camel. But this is absurd. It's a waste of money, effort, and the precious time each of has on this great green Earth to do all of this. It accomplishes nothing but fuel our fears. It won't even insulate Disney from a massive lawsuit if someone decides to go all kill-crazy at WDW, which surely must be the reason they are doing this.

Disney-Trains

If the boat was just going from resort to resort it would indeed be silly... But the boat is going to the Magic Kingdom. The goal is to make the entrance area around the magic kingdon a secure zone and reduce the congestion there.

It will only add inconvenience when resort hopping, someone staying at a resort will not encounter security any more times, just at a different place.

This also should allow Magic Kingdom to EPCOT park hopping without security screening, I am all for that as well.

21stamps

If the boat was just going from resort to resort it would indeed be silly... But the boat is going to the Magic Kingdom. The goal is to make the entrance area around the magic kingdon a secure zone and reduce the congestion there.

It will only add inconvenience when resort hopping, someone staying at a resort will not encounter security any more times, just at a different place.

This also should allow Magic Kingdom to EPCOT park hopping without security screening, I am all for that as well.

That's not all it will do. It will be an imposing presence for resort guests. It will be another blemish on a beautiful view. These aren't some docks that are tucked away, they are next to marinas and in direct view of the rooms. People staying at those resorts use the docks for more than just going to MK. They now have to go thru security to sit under a gazebo or on a bench?

These small boats arrive at MK to another dock, one that's not on resort property, there's is plenty room to put a security station there.

You will not be able to leave Poly or GF without going thru security on either end-monorail or launch.. unless taking a bus or Uber/Taxi/Lyft.

It's ridiculous, I don't see how anyone can justify it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom