Ferry dock remodel

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, Mar. 11. Here is the large tent-like structure installed in the large plaza leading to/from the bus terminals. Looks like this new security area could be ready in time for the spring break rush. There are several photos here to give you an idea of the placement of this structure.

IMG_9359.JPG

IMG_9361.JPG

IMG_9362.JPG

mm121

Photo update as of Saturday, Mar. 11. Here is the large tent-like structure installed in the large plaza leading to/from the bus terminals. Looks like this new security area could be ready in time for the spring break rush. There are several photos here to give you an idea of the placement of this structure.

View attachment 193478

View attachment 193479

View attachment 193480

This tents just look and feel cheap and temporary, though we all know these same tents will be there in 5 years

alot of the new security changes feel temporary though we know they aren't its almost as if they want to test out the layout in real world conditions before committing to a solid redesign with shelters and everything

IMG_9359.JPG

while the overall plan seems like a good one, there is a pretty obvious security hole that i highlighted in the photo above. where they built two short fences with a little skinny planter in between

seems like a hole as it would be easy for someone to throw something from the unsecured zone to a guest coming off the ferry within the secured zone

they really need some type of fence or ideally some type of clear barrier to ensure nothing can be passed through from one zone to the other, ideally build a roof over the ferry pathway, then put windows between the two zones so people can see, but theres no physical connection between the two

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This tents just look and feel cheap and temporary, though we all know these same tents will be there in 5 years

alot of the new security changes feel temporary though we know they aren't its almost as if they want to test out the layout in real world conditions before committing to a solid redesign with shelters and everything

View attachment 193528
they really need some type of fence or ideally some type of clear barrier to ensure nothing can be passed through from one zone to the other, ideally build a roof over the ferry pathway, then put windows between the two zones so people can see, but theres no physical connection between the two
Like for pretty much every international flight in the free world? I'm sure they're all over it.

I just pray the stand out white turns into go away green.

mm121

Like for pretty much every international flight in the free world? I'm sure they're all over it.

it does totally stand out and not in a good way

dont know why they insist on doing tents rather than building a structure considering these checkpoints arent going away anytime soon

would have been better to build a structure using the same green metal roofing as the ferry terminal, while not the most beautiful in the world at least there would be consistency in the look

Goofyernmost

Martin, I honestly don't think that they want security to look anything but serious business. All the green, warming colors in the world need to reserved for inside the parks. What's going on outside should not be perceived as fun and welcoming or made to blend in. It is strictly a utility location, no fun and games here. That comes after! Psychology 101.

Rider

View attachment 193528

while the overall plan seems like a good one, there is a pretty obvious security hole that i highlighted in the photo above. where they built two short fences with a little skinny planter in between

seems like a hole as it would be easy for someone to throw something from the unsecured zone to a guest coming off the ferry within the secured zone

Maybe the reason they didn't build a permanent structure is that they want a flex space. So now they have a big plaza area where they can setup security but maybe a year or two from now they want to redesign the area. It's much easier to do that if they have only temporary structures.

It could also allow them to reconfigure based on the time of day! On a busy day like 4th of July or NYE they could redirect people somewhere else to get screened coming in while the big area is used as a queue for the boats.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Wellllllll - I don't think the MK is quite "done" with all this....

Segmenting Security, and moving it OUT, away from the ticket readers, is GOOD. Folks..... pretty soon, everyone was going to end up waiting in 7 Seas Lagoon :).

Just me.... but the geography and segmentation choices look reasonable to me - making use of "the gift of space". Stuff DOES look temporary - and what a wise choice! Experience is going to tell the MK Security folks that left a hole someplace..... now, they can FIND that hole, and deal with it.

Consider the MESS that exists at MCO - to a great extent, because permanent stuff got put in, and things changed. I may be alone.... but I personally believe WDW is being rather wise to think, experiment, then CHANGE if the data indicates that Plan #1 wasn't quite right.....

21stamps

I've only read a few pages, and honestly I had no idea any of this was going on.. not even while we were at Disney World during this time.. but, I read several comments saying that they may push security to the resorts.. is this true?
I would actually hate to see that happen to the monorail and/or launch locations.

roj2323

Original Poster

View attachment 193528

The skinny planter is about 6ft across. You can't tell because the path that's next to the water is also about 3 ft lower and the planter is sloped.

Here's a photo from page 5 of this thread that helps illustrate what I mean:
img_8756-jpg.175746

mm121

The skinny planter is about 6ft across. You can't tell because the path that's next to the water is also about 3 ft lower and the planter is sloped.

Here's a photo from page 5 of this thread that helps illustrate what I mean:
img_8756-jpg.175746
still feels like a security hole as there's no way to have someone keep watch all the time

roj2323

Original Poster
still feels like a security hole as there's no way to have someone keep watch all the time

If only you knew. WDW has thousands of cameras in each park and loves to implement new tech. I wouldn't put it past disney to have several cameras pointed at this separation with software that will automatically detect any anomalies (ie person in the planter) and flash an alert across a screen. Additionally any point in the park can have a security guard reach it within 30 seconds and there are more plain clothed security officers roaming the parks than you would think.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Wellllllll - I don't think the MK is quite "done" with all this....

Segmenting Security, and moving it OUT, away from the ticket readers, is GOOD. Folks..... pretty soon, everyone was going to end up waiting in 7 Seas Lagoon :).

Just me.... but the geography and segmentation choices look reasonable to me - making use of "the gift of space". Stuff DOES look temporary - and what a wise choice! Experience is going to tell the MK Security folks that left a hole someplace..... now, they can FIND that hole, and deal with it.

Consider the MESS that exists at MCO - to a great extent, because permanent stuff got put in, and things changed. I may be alone.... but I personally believe WDW is being rather wise to think, experiment, then CHANGE if the data indicates that Plan #1 wasn't quite right.....

Consider TSA's screening locations at most airports, pretty awful at best as they were not purpose built for screening and containment, they just take over hallways as they are structural choke points. The planters,bollards, and railings are the only external choke points Disney currently has to work with, but also keep in mind that they need the flexibility to support at peak times (end of the 3pm parade, fireworks, kiss goodnight) large crowds exiting the parks. Its a matter of safety exiting as well.

DrewmanS

You likely will never see permanent construction of security areas because they will always be changing. The design, location, equipment, flow, signage will continually evolve to improve security and reduce wait time for guests.

For security, it is better to have temporary structures. The longer you maintain a fixed system, the more time people have to figure out ways to circumvent it. By changing set-ups, proceedures, and locations you might frustrate guests who frequently visit the parks, but you also frustrate potential terrorist trying to make detailed plans.

As for white (not green) tents this is also a good choice. People will associate white tents with security. When approaching a security area it becomes clear where they need to go and the purpose. Pushing security further out also reduces the visual impact of the tents at the park entrance.

rushtest4echo

You likely will never see permanent construction of security areas because they will always be changing. The design, location, equipment, flow, signage will continually evolve to improve security and reduce wait time for guests.

You mean the fake appearance of security, a cumbersome waste of time, money, staffing, and other real security resources all to placate the DHS's moronic security mandates for "soft targets". Anyone involved in risk management is laughing at Disney, Universal and other places that are adopting TSA style procedures. Then again, we've been screaming at DHS, especially TSA, that their methods are garbage since before 9/11. So many security conferences and presentations that I've attended are there to better inform Washington how to properly handle security and they've never bothered to listen. It's maddening. Pretty soon I'll need to go though a pat down grab a burger at McDonalds or buy some milk at Publix.

I guess in a country where congress fights for the rights of mentally unstable people and people on the terrorist watch list to purchase assault rifles and body armor- I should really be amazed it's taken this long for them to pull all of this security sillyness. Then again, no amount of security will ever going to stop me from talking an SUV and mowing down 100 people gathered waiting for the parking lot tram (aside from my own personal sanity that is).

These structures will at least be better than the godawful mess that has been Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Paris for the last 15 years. And of course, the thousands of people gathered around these checkpoints presents an excellent target for evil doers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom