News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

TheGhostWithTheMost

They're told NOT TO ACT and NOT TO PERFORM. They're told NOT TO so Disney won't have to pay them to act. I know people who've worked GMR who get in real disciplinary trouble for acting too much. Complain at Walt Disney World's horrible managment team for cutting corners and refusing to pay Cast Members a livable wage, much less a fair wage, for the job they do. Get your facts straight before you go after people who make less than Walmart workers and who are trying to do the best they can during a 13hr day, Andrew.

YodaMan

That's uncalled for. CMs at GMR make the same as CMs at any attractions. Very few CMs get a say in which attractions they end up at when they're hired, and even if they have been with the company and are voluntary transferring to an area of their choice they still don't get to decide which attraction within that area that they'll work at. A lot of people end up working at GMR who have no interest in being there, and for a lot of people they have no way of going elsewhere. They make it work to pay the bills, and I don't fault anyone who isn't able to fake their love of movies over and over again everyday.

All of the spieling roles (KSR, GMR, Jungle) should be treated differently. And until they are, you won't always get a great show on any of those rides. It's just how it is.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's uncalled for. CMs at GMR make the same as CMs at any attractions. Very few CMs get a say in which attractions they end up at when they're hired, and even if they have been with the company and are voluntary transferring to an area of their choice they still don't get to decide which attraction within that area that they'll work at. A lot of people end up working at GMR who have no interest in being there, and for a lot of people they have no way of going elsewhere. They make it work to pay the bills, and I don't fault anyone who isn't able to fake their love of movies over and over again everyday.

All of the spieling roles (KSR, GMR, Jungle) should be treated differently. And until they are, you won't always get a great show on any of those rides. It's just how it is.

Fair enough. If they aren't that great because they aren't great actors, that's not their fault. But if they suck because they just don't care and they don't want to be there, or because of their pay, that's another story. Just try.

I do agree these roles should be treated differently though.

TheGhostWithTheMost

Insanity. :facepalm:

Incidentally, I had an awesome CM in early October. :)
It sure is insanity. It's pure insanity that the Jungle Cruise, Safaris, and GMR Cast Members aren't Equity Actors who are paid as actors should be payed. It's complete garbage and greed and a forever weakening of the WDW experience. The Jungle Cruise's aren't funny anymore because of Adventureland management's micromanaging of the Skippers spiels. But Adventureland managment can't let the Skippers be funny due to pressure from upper managment for everything to be a homogenized experiment and because the Skippers will have to be paid more if they "act" or "improv." Great Movie Ride isn't good anymore because the Cast is now told that they CANNOT act because if they act too much, they're considered actors. And actors have to be paid more. Nowadays, all these attraction's cast members are taught to spiel and only to spiel. Furthermore, if a new hire or college program kid is assigned a spieling attraction (which they are assigned at random), they will be terminated from the company rather than given another job location if they are uncomfortable speaking in front of crowds. You have a bunch of uncomfortable kids who are actively told not to act. So we can all 100% blame TDO's cheapness for your bad experiences on rides like this because it's 100% their fault, not the Cast Members working the attractions.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Makes you wonder if they thought of the idea using the GMR as a nod from Mickey's Gala Premier Short....
Gala.jpg

Was that a SUPERSTAR in that LIMO, dodging paparazzi trying to get to a movie premier?

Bocabear

So if this is an attraction that relies on the operators acting , and they don't want to pay the cast members to act, they need to invest money in the actual show so that it no longer relies on acting to make it work... This is not rocket science... and for a relatively small amount of money they could freshen it up and really make it relevant without just junking it for a screen based Mickey ride...but make no mistake this park needs both.

Don't a lot of CM's that work in the park at either attractions or as performers do so because they "always wanted to work at Disney"? I am all for fair wages but if you applied to work as a performer in the Disney Parks it was probably because it was something you wanted to do and not solely based on pay. I understand that people applying to work at Disney often get assigned to their roles and not necessarily their preferred position. However pay shouldn't be the excuse for "phoning in a performance" when you should know fair well what your pay would be and what the expectations are to work there when you applied.

matt9112

HS I wouldn't think could afford another ride to go down. We are seriously thinking about skip it our next trip because it's a waste of a day, even though tower of terror is one of my wife and I favorite rides.

Rope drop tower and RNRC and than leave and have your fastpass at another park. Done.

olie64

Rope drop tower and RNRC and than leave and have your fastpass at another park. Done.

This might work if we end up getting annual passes (do not really want to pay for park hopper). We have thought about making it a half day park and spend the rest of the time at the resort. My wife and I just had a baby a few months ago so that had changed how we can do the parks.

TheGhostWithTheMost

Don't a lot of CM's that work in the park at either attractions or as performers do so because they "always wanted to work at Disney"? I am all for fair wages but if you applied to work as a performer in the Disney Parks it was probably because it was something you wanted to do and not solely based on pay. I understand that people applying to work at Disney often get assigned to their roles and not necessarily their preferred position. However pay shouldn't be the excuse for "phoning in a performance" when you should know fair well what your pay would be and what the expectations are to work there when you applied.
Pay is totally an excuse. You get what you pay for and if you pay less than most fast food establishments for work that is as draining as performing for upwards of 14 hours a day during peak times for a pay that should be, frankly, criminal.... I get the point you're trying to make but I cannot say that I agree! It's very different once you've started Disney on a "wink and dream" and then realize that the cast members pushing one button and then sitting silently at the Hall of Presidents make as much as those sweating their butt off over at the Jungle Cruise..

brb1006

I vividly remember the first time I rode GMR but I remember the CM I had back in 2004 was alot more energetic and showed passion.

SteveAZee

They're told NOT TO ACT and NOT TO PERFORM. They're told NOT TO so Disney won't have to pay them to act. I know people who've worked GMR who get in real disciplinary trouble for acting too much. Complain at Walt Disney World's horrible managment team for cutting corners and refusing to pay Cast Members a livable wage, much less a fair wage, for the job they do. Get your facts straight before you go after people who make less than Walmart workers and who are trying to do the best they can during a 13hr day, Andrew.

Ironic that they're called "Cast Members" then. o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom