News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

JoeCamel

is there a timeline for this to be finished?

i have a feeling this is going to take FOREVER, since they have to be able to maintain the different flows of traffic during construction.
The bulk of it will be built off to the side then connected up so it shouldn't disrupt flow much but it is a lot of infrastructure so I would guess 18 months more or so.

EthanMagicBands

I'm bummed that the bypass from the north side looks to be going away (and has been blocked by cones recently). Being locals in Windermere with AP's it was so convenient. I know the U-turn isn't that much of a hassle, but it still adds a few extra minutes into every trip now.

mm121

I'm bummed that the bypass from the north side looks to be going away (and has been blocked by cones recently). Being locals in Windermere with AP's it was so convenient. I know the U-turn isn't that much of a hassle, but it still adds a few extra minutes into every trip now.
bypass? you mean the drive people used to "sneak" into the mk lot

however it was originally intended as access from the car care center

mm121

Regardless, I use it legitimately as a bypass. If other people use it to "sneak", that's their deal. I'm just bummed it's going away. It was convenient.
its more going away due to the reconstruction than the "sneaking" as there's really no good way to maintain the connection without building a tunnel or something

though i'm sure the change makes the bean counters happy, all those extra parking fees

Next Big Thing

its more going away due to the reconstruction than the "sneaking" as there's really no good way to maintain the connection without building a tunnel or something

though i'm sure the change makes the bean counters happy, all those extra parking fees
I'm not sure they'll be getting many extra parking dollars by getting rid of it... I would wager most people who used it were either CMs or locals who have APs (and all APs include parking).

Tourists wouldn't be back in that area normally anyway.

montyz81

Is there going to be a Fastpass for this. When will this soft open? How do I get tickets to the cast preview?... Honestly though, I can't believe there are 9 pages on a parking lot/roadway improvement.

deeevo

Is there going to be a Fastpass for this. When will this soft open? How do I get tickets to the cast preview?... Honestly though, I can't believe there are 9 pages on a parking lot/roadway improvement.
It is very annoying to run to Speedway for some beers and just to get back to the resort I need drive another 2 miles in a circle. I will gladly follow the progress on this if it improves my beer run times.

flyerjab

There is a multi page thread on the removal of the definite article "the" from the MK entrance sign at the train station. There are those waxing nostalgic about how important the "the" was and how much it meant to them.

We are on a forum for ultra Disney fans. We are what we are.

JoeCamel

You did not watch the speedway removal and parking lot expansion thread? This is just a continuation of that work so you got some catching up to do.

*Q*

This is a big, big project that has been in the works for a long time and will not only markedly improve traffic around the Magic Kingdom Resort Area but also very possibly significantly transform the arrival experience for day guests. For CMs, APs, and other regulars who frequently drive around this part of the World, this is a very exciting change that will make it much, much easier to get around. So yeah, there's more than a few people very interested in this.

roj2323

This is a big, big project that has been in the works for a long time and will not only markedly improve traffic around the Magic Kingdom Resort Area but also very possibly significantly transform the arrival experience for day guests. For CMs, APs, and other regulars who frequently drive around this part of the World, this is a very exciting change that will make it much, much easier to get around. So yeah, there's more than a few people very interested in this.

More than anything else there will be a HUGE improvement in the safety of the entry point and surrounding roadways. No more will there be people cutting over 5 lanes when they don't realize you have to stay to the right to get to the contemporary and other north west side resorts. furthermore the intersection which TDO added a traffic light in hopes of improving safety will also be eliminated entirely while at the same time giving guests leaving those same north west side resorts the added ability to head south on World drive without having to drive counter clockwise all the way around the Magic Kingdom and monorail resorts.

mm121

More than anything else there will be a HUGE improvement in the safety of the entry point and surrounding roadways. No more will there be people cutting over 5 lanes when they don't realize you have to stay to the right to get to the contemporary and other north west side resorts. furthermore the intersection which TDO added a traffic light in hopes of improving safety will also be eliminated entirely while at the same time giving guests leaving those same north west side resorts the added ability to head south on World drive without having to drive counter clockwise all the way around the Magic Kingdom and monorail resorts.
yea they really should have fixed this forever ago

good to see they are finally moving forward with the north entrance, now we know why progress on that hasn't really moved forward recently, since there's lots of "pieces" like this that have to be redone before they can call it a real entrance

roj2323

yea they really should have fixed this forever ago

good to see they are finally moving forward with the north entrance, now we know why progress on that hasn't really moved forward recently, since there's lots of "pieces" like this that have to be redone before they can call it a real entrance

I wonder how that north entrance is coming along. I haven't seen any posts or news on it in a while and the helicopter photographers don't make it up that way.

mm121

I wonder how that north entrance is coming along. I haven't seen any posts or news on it in a while and the helicopter photographers don't make it up that way.

nothing really going on right now to my knowledge, after the construction of the stoplight at the north end of property

think they've done or were going to do some test drillings for the roadway path, but dont think thats been started, and no real reason to until this project is completed as you dont want to direct a bunch of traffic to areas that are already known choke points

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
nothing really going on right now to my knowledge, after the construction of the stoplight at the north end of property

think they've done or were going to do some test drillings for the roadway path, but dont think thats been started, and no real reason to until this project is completed as you dont want to direct a bunch of traffic to areas that are already known choke points

Permit have been filed for the next phase but I don't know if work has started...

upload_2017-3-16_6-32-57.png

-em

It is very annoying to run to Speedway for some beers and just to get back to the resort I need drive another 2 miles in a circle. I will gladly follow the progress on this if it improves my beer run times.

If you are heading back to a MK resort there already is a road.. from the speedway head to the north west corner and look for the purple sign saying 'all guest areas' that'll lead you to bear island road that with a right then left turn will have you going north towards poly/grand then turn on seven seas for lodge & contemp

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom