News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DznyRktekt

Me too!

Although it'll probably mirror what the company has always done.
9/10 attractions never get off the drawing board
the remaining 10% got as follows:
half end up in development hell and never get built
another quarter are bounced around and modified until they don't even resemble what someone proposed conceptually at the start
and the remainder might end up getting built, though the budget will always be played with and some concepts just don't work out even after being green-lit

So out of the 20 concepts floating around for EPCOT right now, lets hope two or three are built and that at least one of them is spectacular. :)
I'm hoping for more, and believe there will be more. :)

rushtest4echo

I'm hoping for more, and believe there will be more. :)

Honest question that maybe Martin can answer:

How many things at EPCOT that are in talks involve IP's. Like hard numbers/percentage wise?

Such a loaded question I know, I'm not sure what's going to be worse- Martin's assessment or the pitchforks and torches that will follow? ;)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

How many things at EPCOT that are in talks involve IP's. Like hard numbers/percentage wise?

Such a loaded question I know, I'm not sure what's going to be worse- Martin's assessment or the pitchforks and torches that will follow? ;)
Without Martin's inside knowledge, I'm willing to bet that 100% of new updates coming to Epcot will include IPs.

rushtest4echo

Funny question about Figment:

A classic/beloved Disney character is on a ride for over a decade. He's then ripped away from a revamped version of the ride which ends up being a major failure. Guests are angry and call for a character's return to said attraction despite him not fitting the new theme much at all. Disney complies. People are pleased at the addition conceptually, but the ride is still terrible. Is that a bad IP overlay at that point?

Rodan75

A classic/beloved Disney character is on a ride for over a decade. He's then ripped away from a revamped version of the ride which ends up being a major failure. Guests are angry and call for a character's return to said attraction despite him not fitting the new theme much at all. Disney complies. People are pleased at the addition conceptually, but the ride is still terrible. Is that a bad IP overlay at that point?

LOL...technically...yes? But again, are you looking for pitchforks and torches?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Monsanto, by the way, was an original sponsor for WDW.

They presented "Mission to Mars" in Tomorrowland, if I remember right. (That space eventually became Alien Encounter then Stitch's Great Escape, using the same seating pattern.)
McDonnell-Douglas apparently sponsored Flight to the Moon at DLR -- they also sponsored Mission to Mars at WDW for five years...

eta: I got so wrapped up in the back-and-forth that I didn't realize this thread was 5 months old...

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

That I'm aware of?

10 out of 18 projects (not all attractions) IP based, or 15 out of 18 as a possibility. Not including the whole central spine / Innoventions project which is too complicated for this question. Nor the Imagination complex since it's not that far advanced.

Not that I expect everything to happen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Me too!

Although it'll probably mirror what the company has always done.
9/10 attractions never get off the drawing board
the remaining 10% got as follows:
half end up in development hell and never get built
another quarter are bounced around and modified until they don't even resemble what someone proposed conceptually at the start
and the remainder might end up getting built, though the budget will always be played with and some concepts just don't work out even after being green-lit

So out of the 20 concepts floating around for EPCOT right now, lets hope two or three are built and that at least one of them is spectacular. :)
To follow up on my last post in this thread, posted directly above, I'm expecting around 11 plus Innoventions / Spine.

Again, not all attractions. Emphasis deliberate.

FigmentJedi

Figment never really left the ride, they just reduced his role to the bare minimum amount they could to still justify selling merchandise of him while focusing on their weird "Honey I Shrunk the Kids Expanded Universe" IP theme.

Magic Feather

What I'd like to see, for what it's worth:

1. A Dr. Who attraction of some kind somewhere.
2. A return to the transcendent stuff like Tapestry of Dreams that were not IP based.
3. Something clever and sciencey in Innoventions. Science doesn't have to be dull.
4. National and/or international science fairs hosted at Epcot.
5. Different scenarios at Soarin' and Mission Space ala Star Tours.
6. An attraction at each of the World Showcase countries.
7. Free Beer.
8. Free admission for guys like me.
9. Speakers and Events, like Nobel Prize stuff. Why can't the year's Nobel Prize winners be hosted at Epcot for something?
10. Use some of the dead space to salute the World's Fairs of the past. A Hall of Innovation would be a nice rainy day thing.
1. Isn't happening
2. One (maybe two) rays of hope... but not in parade form.
3. I say yes, but the plan is subjective
4. Considered. Doubt Anymore than that.
5. Same answer as 4
6. Unless you count exhibits, nope.
7. I wish
8. If you are a similar guy to me, then I wish
9. Would be nice, but probably not
10. Yes to the first six words.

FerretAfros

What I'd like to see, for what it's worth:

6. An attraction at each of the World Showcase countries.

6. Unless you count exhibits, nope.
As it currently stands, neither Italy nor the UK have an "attraction" in the sense of a ride, film, or exhibit. Does this imply that we might see some minor upgrades for both pavilions (possibly including the rumored ride in the UK)?

Depending on your disposition, Germany and the Outpost could also be described as not having any attractions, though Germany has the train and the Outpost isn't really a full pavilion

Although the existing exhibits could stand to be updated more frequently (Morocco, I'm looking at you!), most of them are very well done and a great way to spend 10-30 minutes. They generally do a good job highlighting aspects of the country's culture, have almost no operational costs, and stay true to the park's original mission. Although they certainly wouldn't drive new attendance, I would fully welcome additional exhibits throughout World Showcase as a way to flesh out some of the pavilions that people tend to bypass completely

doctornick

2. One (maybe two) rays of hope... but not in parade form.

Interesting. I wonder if they would consider a daytime water show like Mythica. I've thought DAK would be a better option for such a concept but I suppose something in the round at Epcot would also be good (though thanks to the streetmosphere, I don't think that Epcot is as hurting for daytime entertainment as other parks).

doctornick

As it currently stands, neither Italy nor the UK have an "attraction" in the sense of a ride, film, or exhibit. Does this imply that we might see some minor upgrades for both pavilions (possibly including the rumored ride in the UK)?

I know original plans were for Italy to have a gondola boat ride. But I feel like I also have read about some sort of planned walk through of Roman ruins -- would love to see something small scale like that brought in to go along with larger projects (rides). Something on the scale of the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk through in DL with a few scenes/effects could be an affordable add for the park.

aladdin2007

Interesting. I wonder if they would consider a daytime water show like Mythica. I've thought DAK would be a better option for such a concept but I suppose something in the round at Epcot would also be good (though thanks to the streetmosphere, I don't think that Epcot is as hurting for daytime entertainment as other parks).

They use to have Surprise in the Skies over and around World Showcase Lagoon, which was pretty darn incredible. I loved the huge national characters inflatables (like Goofy for Norway, Donald for Mexico, Robin Hood for UK) that rose up in front of each pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom