News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MCast

As it stands well before the parks 40th.

Thank you. Do you envision that all of Epcot's potential changes (Future World overhaul + France ride + U.K. ride + any future country to be announced in bulk - similar to how they announced SWL and TSL simultaneously for DHS?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thank you. Do you envision that all of Epcot's potential changes (Future World overhaul + France ride + U.K. ride + any future country to be announced in bulk - similar to how they announced SWL and TSL simultaneously for DHS?
I'd be surprised. There's lots of individual projects (some still not announced, others still may not happen ) - and all of varying time frames.

Plus they get more PR by spreading it out over several years. Don't expect everything to be done before October 2022.

MCast

I'd be surprised. There's lots of individual projects (some still not announced, others still may not happen ) - and all of varying time frames.

Plus they get more PR by spreading it out over several years.

Logic makes sense. I'm fascinated how corporate decides what needs to be tackled from a ride perspective. Do they just brainstorm and pitch ideas until one sticks or is there actually a calculated strategy behind a new ride, attraction, land, etc?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Logic makes sense. I'm fascinated how corporate decides what needs to be tackled from a ride perspective. Do they just brainstorm and pitch ideas until one sticks or is there actually a calculated strategy behind a new ride, attraction, land, etc?
Generally nowerdays it's more pitching, numbers, spreadsheets, roi and corporate justification. Sadly.

RoysCabin

I'm so mad that message boards didn't exist in the 1950's/1960's. I'd love to see the musings of "old school" Disney people who would have thrown fits about Walt's corporate synergy ties.

If a Disney message board existed then:

Disneyland TV Series: "I can't believe this corporate synergy BS, they're plugging some theme park here on our family TV night instead of showing us the TV shows, stories and movies that are appopriate for the TV medium".

Sleeping Beauty Castle: "I can't believe this corporate synergy BS, building a castle from a film that won't be released for years". Why not just do Cinderlla since people already know it. In fact, why does it need to be a princess castle at all? Can't it just be a castle without some idiot thinking it needs to sell merch from the princess line or plug a new movie? What is Walt thinking? Creatively bankrupt"

Tomorrowland: "What the hell is this? Corporate sponsorship of the future exhibit land? Budget cuts everywhere- Disney should be embarrassed to have this place open. Re-used movie sets, corporate showcases and no real rides. Yay, a car ride and a motor boat- how futuristic."

Jungle Cruise: "Oh god, what a rip of African Queen. It's not even their own property and they're just shamelessly cashing in on the exotic craze. How shortsighted."

King Arthur's Carousel: "Great, we can't even have a classic European carousel without slapping some IP on it."

Storybookland: "But I liked Canal Boats of the World, it always had a line. Now they've ruined it with stupid IP, what a waste. Never visiting Disneyland ever again, they've sold out."

Sailing Ship Columbia: "A boat of that size and type would never be in ANY river around America, much less the wild west. This is just stupid, it's as bad as putting that Frozen theme on that Norway ride 60 years into the future. The logic just isn't there."

Matterhorn/Skyway: "Oh yay, a wild mouse in a box. No theming, no story, out of place and ugly. It ruins the view of the castle. These architects and WED are idiots with no foresight- this forever alters and destroys the sightlines."

Swiss Family Treehouse: "Wow, a stupid walkthrough with another IP slapped on. How exciting, where's the E-ticket?"

Tiki Room: "Oh god, singing birds on something that's not even a ride. And it's sponsored by an airline company, how shameless. Will Walt ever stop whoring out his attractions to sponsors??? Besides, he stole the whole concept from someone in Europe. Creative bankruptcy for sure."

1964 World's Fair: "OMG Walt is so cheap. He never builds anything without someone else ponying up the dough. Then he has the nerve to move/replicate/clone those rides here to Disneyland. Disney used to care about innovation, now they just mindlessly clone these rides years later and those rubes in the general public lap it up. I can't believe how cheap Walt is. Then he has the audacity to call these all MAPO developed attractions and is hoarding the receipts from them and charging licencing fees- what a corporate stooge. And people defend his actions by saying that he's keeping creative separate from the rest of the park management in order to foster innovation, when he's really just diverting needed revenues and investment away from the park at large in order to fund his pet projects!"

Pirates of the Caribbean: "So for some reason Pirates are in New Orleans and the Caribbean at the same time, next to an antebellum Mansion on one side, the wild west on two other sides and a treehouse on the other- great job theming guys. What a joke."

I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the comment I made, or how any of this post works with relation to the topic at hand. Apologies if I'm missing something, but I feel all this serves to do is to remove context from the discussion and attempt to condense the conversation down to blanket generalizations.

The point here is not, and has never been, "all IPs are bad"; I grew up enjoying my trips on Star Tours and other such attractions. The discussion has pretty clearly centered around current Disney corporate practices as they pertain to the theme parks, in which the pendulum has swung almost entirely toward IP/synergistic concepts and almost completely away from original park content, so comparing it with the way WED operated in the early days of Disneyland doesn't really have any bearing on the discussion as it doesn't pertain to the current context.

I could see bringing WED and whatnot into it to this extent: It's entirely possible to build a "timeless" attraction that includes IP in it; I don't think anybody here is going to downplay how successful so many of the classic Fantasyland rides were and are, for example, and there are still legions of people who clamor for the return of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Mr. Toad, both IP-based attractions. However, I don't think this changes the reality of current Disney creative mandates half-ignoring the serious differences that exist between what qualifies as cultural "staying power" for a film compared to what's necessary to craft a long-term successful theme park ride or attraction; it feels as if the push for synergy has homogenized the overall experience, rather than emphasizing the positive differences that the changes in medium can create to enhance both a physical attraction and the film it may be based on. For me, personally, it's the type of thinking that distinguishes a ride like 20,000 Leagues from a more current attempt such as The Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland; both IP-based, but with very different thought processes, goals, and presentation styles put into each; I would argue that 20k was much more successful in taking advantage of the physical attraction medium than TLM is.

rushtest4echo

I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the comment I made, or how any of this post works with relation to the topic at hand. Apologies if I'm missing something, but I feel all this serves to do is to remove context from the discussion and attempt to condense the conversation down to blanket generalizations.

The point here is not, and has never been, "all IPs are bad"; I grew up enjoying my trips on Star Tours and other such attractions. The discussion has pretty clearly centered around current Disney corporate practices as they pertain to the theme parks, in which the pendulum has swung almost entirely toward IP/synergistic concepts and almost completely away from original park content, so comparing it with the way WED operated in the early days of Disneyland doesn't really have any bearing on the discussion as it doesn't pertain to the current context.

I could see bringing WED and whatnot into it to this extent: It's entirely possible to build a "timeless" attraction that includes IP in it; I don't think anybody here is going to downplay how successful so many of the classic Fantasyland rides were and are, for example, and there are still legions of people who clamor for the return of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Mr. Toad, both IP-based attractions. However, I don't think this changes the reality of current Disney creative mandates half-ignoring the serious differences that exist between what qualifies as cultural "staying power" for a film compared to what's necessary to craft a long-term successful theme park ride or attraction; it feels as if the push for synergy has homogenized the overall experience, rather than emphasizing the positive differences that the changes in medium can create to enhance both a physical attraction and the film it may be based on. For me, personally, it's the type of thinking that distinguishes a ride like 20,000 Leagues from a more current attempt such as The Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland; both IP-based, but with very different thought processes, goals, and presentation styles put into each; I would argue that 20k was much more successful in taking advantage of the physical attraction medium than TLM is.

Sorry if that swerved a bit away from your musings, I was just trying to (half jokingly) point out the discussions that would have been had if these boards were around back then. I completely agree that there's been a shift away from unique stories over the past few decades. But honestly, getting back to EPCOT vs IPCOT- I'm happy to see an update that includes an IP than no updates at all. The seacabs were dormant before Nemo was even released. I'm happy to see synergy or whatever allowed them to re-open a failed attraction that now enjoys healthy ridership (and even entertains kids, something most of EPCOT fails to do). Same goes for Norway and Mexico, both of which are now significantly more popular. Again, I know I'm in the minority here but I'm very glad to see kid-friendly stuff/IP's at EPCOT. EPCOT has been my favorite park since I was a kid on my first visit to WDW in the late 80's. I don't consider it close to being one of "the best" parks on earth, but it's my favorite nonetheless. IP's aren't going to change that. If anything, a BatB ride in France, a Mulan attraction in China and even something like Mr Toad or Alice in the UK would make me love the park even more than I already do. I could care less about the original message, which was already a bastardized/distorted version of anything Walt would have ever wanted. (we've had that debate for decades now, right? Is there really anything left to contribute to EPCOT's original message vs. what it is now? It's over...)

I get that people have a soft spot for EPCOT and don't want IP's there. The same thing's happening over at Animal Kingdom too now. The funny part is, just like Nemo or Frozen at EPCOT, the attractions themselves wouldn't be nearly as criticized if they were simply "The Seas with FIsh and Friends" and "Han's Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen Adventure" (people who still think Frozen isn't Norweigian really should read Anderson's opinions on the "Nordic Spirit" and his visions of the sisterhood of Scandinavian nations). People may still not like the end result, but if Disney re-did those attractions in the exact same manner without the specific IP I can pretty much guarantee that people would have less of an issue with it. Same goes for Pandora.

By the way, I was re-watching "Shoot for the Moon" which is fabulous by the way. In it, they mention Walt Disney's "Once men were on the moon, the dream faded. WIth it, went some of the naive optimism in DIsney's vision of the future." They also state that "Disney in the early 80's existed in a changed world. The 50's optimism of our future was replaced with a new sense of uncertainty."

Also, during that show Micheal Eisner exclaims "Great things got done, EPCOT Center got built, Tokyo Disneyland got built, but experimentation, uh, risk taking, insanity, neurotic creative behavior was replaced by a studied business practice."

Not trying to pour gas on the anti-Eisner flames here, but it's another example of how hard it is to do anything relating to the future, especially when the public at large isn't optimistic about it anymore. It's also telling to see that Eisner viewed risk taking and out of the box thinking was negative and sound business practice improved the company. Not sure anyone here actually agrees with that- but the fruits of Eisner's "biggest risk" are still damaging the company today in DLP. Sound business practice probably should have prevented them from assuming day trippers wanted to stay 5 nights at a DLP hotel, and it probably should have prevented them from building EPCOT at all- since it's nearly impossible to keep re-making rides in a permanent world's fair every 5-10 years as the obsolete often before they even open.

Last edited:

Ralphlaw

What I'd like to see, for what it's worth:

1. A Dr. Who attraction of some kind somewhere.
2. A return to the transcendent stuff like Tapestry of Dreams that were not IP based.
3. Something clever and sciencey in Innoventions. Science doesn't have to be dull.
4. National and/or international science fairs hosted at Epcot.
5. Different scenarios at Soarin' and Mission Space ala Star Tours.
6. An attraction at each of the World Showcase countries.
7. Free Beer.
8. Free admission for guys like me.
9. Speakers and Events, like Nobel Prize stuff. Why can't the year's Nobel Prize winners be hosted at Epcot for something?
10. Use some of the dead space to salute the World's Fairs of the past. A Hall of Innovation would be a nice rainy day thing.

Epcot should not just be profiting on innovation and scientific history, they should be making it. Why aren't people like Bill Gates giving their TED talks at Epcot? Why aren't actual scientists giving presentations at Epcot? Why isn't Neil DeGrasse Tyson premiering the latest Cosmos series at Epcot? Why aren't ambassadors and foreign leaders stopping by for a photo op and speech at World Showcase? Why isn't Josh Gates giving an Expedition Unknown presentation at Epcot or AK? Make the place not just a thrilling and international funland, but scientifically and culturally relevant. I think it would be great if there was so much of relevance going on at Epcot that a permanent press corps could be stationed there. Use the Odyssey and that big tent thing between UK and Canada.

Remember, Nixon's "I'm not a crook" speech took place at the Contemporary. The final documents to break up the Beatles were signed by John Lennon at the Polynesian. Real history happened (notoriously). For a modest price, it could happen again (positively). Now, I know that the vast majority of guests won't step away from Test Track in order to hear an esoteric talk from the latest Nobel Chemistry winner, but such an event would be cheap to put on, and give real gravity to the place. Science teachers might stop in, and a permanent press corps could have a story from the place every day. Have a big display at the entrances: Today's feature event: John Smith, the Nobel winner of Physics, will be speaking at the Odyssey. Fly him in, put him up, and give him a host to ride the rides. Cool, deep and cheap.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What I'd like to see, for what it's worth:

1. A Dr. Who attraction of some kind somewhere.
2. A return to the transcendent stuff like Tapestry of Dreams that were not IP based.
3. Something clever and sciencey in Innoventions. Science doesn't have to be dull.
4. National and/or international science fairs hosted at Epcot.
5. Different scenarios at Soarin' and Mission Space ala Star Tours.
6. An attraction at each of the World Showcase countries.
7. Free Beer.
8. Free admission for guys like me.
9. Speakers and Events, like Nobel Prize stuff. Why can't the year's Nobel Prize winners be hosted at Epcot for something?
10. Use some of the dead space to salute the World's Fairs of the past. A Hall of Innovation would be a nice rainy day thing.

Epcot should not just be profiting on innovation and scientific history, they should be making it. Why aren't people like Bill Gates giving their TED talks at Epcot? Why aren't actual scientists giving presentations at Epcot? Why isn't Neil DeGrasse Tyson premiering the latest Cosmos series at Epcot? Why aren't ambassadors and foreign leaders stopping by for a photo op and speech at World Showcase? Why isn't Josh Gates giving an Expedition Unknown presentation at Epcot or AK? Make the place not just a thrilling and international funland, but scientifically and culturally relevant. I think it would be great if there was so much of relevance going on at Epcot that a permanent press corps could be stationed there. Use the Odyssey and that big tent thing between UK and Canada.

Remember, Nixon's "I'm not a crook" speech took place at the Contemporary. The final documents to break up the Beatles were signed by John Lennon at the Polynesian. Real history happened (notoriously). For a modest price, it could happen again (positively). Now, I know that the vast majority of guests won't step away from Test Track in order to hear an esoteric talk from the latest Nobel Chemistry winner, but such an event would be cheap to put on, and give real gravity to the place. Science teachers might stop in, and a permanent press corps could have a story from the place every day. Have a big display at the entrances: Today's feature event: John Smith, the Nobel winner of Physics, will be speaking at the Odyssey. Fly him in, put him up, and give him a host to ride the rides. Cool, deep and cheap.

I've been advocating planetariums for Future World. You can make the shows as light or as serious as you want. Animated IPs added to serious learning. You can hook up all the theaters for scientific conventioneer presentations.

P_Radden

I've been advocating planetariums for Future World. You can make the shows as light or as serious as you want. Animated IPs added to serious learning. You can hook up all the theaters for scientific conventioneer presentations.
I would love to see a planetarium in Future World. Or anything new and science-y for that matter. Some really good points mentioned above about the potential that still lies in Future World, even today. It would be fantastic if they held tech expo's or TED Talks. I can say without a doubt we would plan more trips specifically to see these events.

rushtest4echo

In a decade, I'd love to see your list of what got built vs. what didn't get built. :eek:

Me too!

Although it'll probably mirror what the company has always done.
9/10 attractions never get off the drawing board
the remaining 10% got as follows:
half end up in development hell and never get built
another quarter are bounced around and modified until they don't even resemble what someone proposed conceptually at the start
and the remainder might end up getting built, though the budget will always be played with and some concepts just don't work out even after being green-lit

So out of the 20 concepts floating around for EPCOT right now, lets hope two or three are built and that at least one of them is spectacular. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom