News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

JWG

I think it's time to accept that the theme parks are part of a bigger machine where integrated IP is what matters. I love the DIsney movies and TV so I want to go ride their rides and buy their shirts. I love the image on my shirt so I want to ride their ride and watch their movie. I went to Disney World and I loved the Nemo ride so I want to buy Nemo stuff and watch his movie.

The theme parks are a paid advertisement for all things Disney (Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars included). They just flipped the script and found a way to make us pay to be advertised to.

Last edited:

HMF

I think it's time to accept that the theme parks are part of a bigger machine where integrated IP is what matters. I love the DIsney movies and TV so I want to go ride their rides and buy their shirts. I love the image on my shirt so I want to ride their ride and watch their movie. I went to Disney World and I loved the Nemo ride so I want to buy Nemo stuff and watch his movie.

The theme parks are a paid advertisement for all things Disney (Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars included). They just flipped the script and found a way to make us be advertised to.
That is the Eisner/Iger Philosophy to a T

PorterRedkey

El Rios storyline seemed to go above most guests heads. And that was before things started to be dumbed down.
I was a big fan of "If You Had Wings" so a boat version featuring just Mexico was great in my book. A little too small world for me, but I appreciate how the ride took from IYHW (practical sets with integrated movie screens) and turn it into a longer boat ride.

I will never forget the great 3-screen trader sequence on El Rio. It was so clever and fun watching the character move from screen to screen trying to sell you their goods.

lazyboy97o

Let's not forget that back in the days of Walt, he had a lot less IPs under their corporate belt than they do today. If Walt had all the IPs that the corporation owns today, perhaps we would have seen a Disneyland that was almost entirely based on Disney IPs.

It's a theoretical question for sure, because AFAIK, there is no statement from Walt on the record about what a good mix of IPs v. non-IPs is. But he certainly was a master at appropriating public domain IPs for movies... and also for park attractions, like his use of Mark Twain and Tom Sawyer.

In a theme park, every ride has a story, otherwise, it'd just be a carnival ride. For rides where a Disney IP fit, it was IP'd. For rides that didn't have a Disney IP, a fitting public domain one was used (and then Disney got around later trying to make that IP into a movie with varying degrees of success). The number of rides with a truly generic story were not a lot. And as time went on under Walt, became fewer.

I agree with you both that an attraction has to be good in and of itself regardless of the IP. And an Disney IP overlay can't make a bad ride good. But, I'm not on board with you @marni1971 that there needs to be something of "an appropriate mix" of IP v. non-IP. If the Disney IPs work, great, even if it upsets the 'mix.' Though, I think we both agree it shouldn't be 'forced' such that it's out of place or an attempt to make sub-par work palatable.
"You can't top pigs with pigs." Walt made plenty of statements about not wanting to repeat himself. Plenty of films were made during his lifetime that were not used as attractions. That new attractions are now to be part of an established franchise is all about repetition, it is a form of marketing and not storytelling.

doctornick

Wait, China?

Yeah, I think Martin just tried to slip in some info about where a new IP is coming (just like he did before with his innocent mentioning of a Mickey makeover for GMR being subtlety mentioned).

He already previously stated that there was some IP overlay looked at for multiple attractions in WS and besides Mexico (getting Coco), the other options are....

So, China's Circle-Vision getting replaced with some sort of Mulan attraction would seem to be the logical thing under consideration. That actually makes me a little sad if it were to happen, not because a Mulan show would be a bad thing (as IPs go, would be a decent fit for WS), but because Reflections of China is actually one of my favorite shows at WDW.

Other than Mulan, could anything else work? I can't imagine they'd use Born In China and do an animal themed attraction. Any other Disney IP related to China?

lazyboy97o

The theme parks are a paid advertisement for all things Disney (Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars included). They just flipped the script and found a way to make us pay to be advertised to.
Themed entertainment is its own creative storytelling medium, just as capable as any other. Disneyland and EPCOT Center are cultural touchstones because of their storytelling power.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
And yet they rarely consider making IPs out of their non-IP attractions outside of Pirates of the Caribbean, which admittedly ended up consuming its source material.

Well they've made movies about the county bears, tomorrowland, haunted mansion, etc. of course they all flopped

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom