A Spirited Valentine ...

Skipper of the SEA

That was awful. Sometimes Iger is willing to share at least a few interesting tidbits. That was mainly compromised of the same few questions we've seen in past years or repeats of the same questions this year. Boring.

The most interesting piece of Parks news was Shanghai Disney nearly hitting 8 Million and him firmly saying 10 Million expected guests in the first year. That's good news.

Besides that boring. Two years ago we got DHS rename and last year was the cruise ships I believe.

Chapek also conducted what seems like a new interview, and our west coast fans may want to skip it:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...s-guardians-galaxy-mission-breakout/98870354/

Unlike Florida's massive Disney World, the more compact Disneyland Resort in California does not have much room for expansion, he notes. Anything new often comes at the expense of removing or changing something old. (Although the Star Wars land coming to Disneyland Park in 2019 will be located mostly in former backstage areas and won't be displacing many existing attractions.)

"Sometimes that means we need to take something great and, quite frankly, make it greater,” Chapek says. To those concerned about how the Terror of Terror might turn out after the Imagineers retool the classic ride, he reassures that Disney is "all about exceeding guest expectations. That is our mantra."

"We believe that [the Guardians ride] gives us an anchor for a much larger superhero presence inside Disney California Adventure," says Chapek. While he wouldn't say whether a new Marvel zone might take over a section of the existing Hollywood Land or replace it altogether, it's clear that more tights-wearing, muscle-bound do-gooders are on their way to Disneyland's sister park.

Nothing we don't know, but interesting to hear his take.
They killed two birds with one stone.

They were able to shoehorn an ip into an existing ride and market it as new (what makes it worse is that the ride was very very good. You can do that to a bad ride like Monsters Inc., but don't do it to the relatively new Tot).

But the positive is that a Marvel land is in fact coming to Disney California Adventure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I realize you are trying to make a broader commentary, but you did ask for there to be list chit chat in your thread. I think slowly but surely folks are complying.

Actually, I sorta threw the towel in on that. And very soon I'll meander off through the ether for some quality "me time." The problem with this thread, or almost any for that matter, is once they reach a certain number of pages, people just talk about anything.

As to the less chit chat, I was referring to the site in general. I can't ever recall a year when the annual shareholders meeting got no attention here whatsoever (here being MAGIC, not this thread specifically). I don't know why that is really ... not that any news of substance came from the event. Bob's strategy of hiding it in places like Denver (who wants to travel there in early March?) keeps a lot of people away who might make it more entertaining. I stopped attending regularly years ago.

I would caution those fans who are getting hyped up over the idea that major projects (unannounced) are coming to WDW to use a lot of caution. Just what has been announced or is happening is a huge amount of spending ... from Pandora to new 'lands' at whatever they will be calling The Disney-MGM Studios to new road work to gondolas to DVCs etc etc.

People who think that EPCOT will be reinvented with all sorts of major new attractions in four years time are setting themselves up for huge disappointments. There really is only so much work that Disney will do, only so much money that Disney will spend on an annual basis.

Speaking of disappointment, anyone here want to tell me they like the 'rip out all the theming, add a little decoration you could buy at Home Goods and call it a deluxe resort' redos that have happened from the BC to BW at WDW and are now happening in the new Copper Creek Villas at WDW and Grand Californian rooms at DL? I just don't get it ... but I think it actually is coming from Guests who want more ordinary rooms. All at insane Disney price points.

tissandtully

Am I missing something? Or is this place dead again (or simply talking about parades that are not coming to WDW or crazyarse gondolas that are)?

Today is the annual meeting of TWDC and usually we have people doing play by play and there is nothing here (not that much of substance comes from the meetings under Iger, but they are always good for a few guffaws and a belly laugh or three!)

Anyway, sorry y'all are bored with Disney now (or you are sorta like I am and just don't have the energy to care).

Here's a link to the LAT coverage:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...meeting-starts-with-1488993157-htmlstory.html
I attribute it to @PhotoDave219 not being around as much.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"
He cited Disney's 2016 animated hit "Zootopia" as evidence of the company's humanitarian values. "Zootopia," which grossed more than $1 billion, is about an advanced society of animals that deals with prejudice between its herbivore and carnivore populations.

"You don't make a movie like 'Zootopia,' which preaches tolerance, unless you believe fundamentally in that ideal and that value," Iger said."

Or, you simply like what is bolded above. He's such a two-faced liar...

jakeman

"
He cited Disney's 2016 animated hit "Zootopia" as evidence of the company's humanitarian values. "Zootopia," which grossed more than $1 billion, is about an advanced society of animals that deals with prejudice between its herbivore and carnivore populations.

"You don't make a movie like 'Zootopia,' which preaches tolerance, unless you believe fundamentally in that ideal and that value," Iger said."

Or, you simply like what is bolded above. He's such a two-faced liar...
I'm genuinely curious. What statements or actions by Iger lead you to believe that he feel that prejudice and intolerance are acceptable values?

doctornick

Perhaps I'm the odd duck, but I watch ESPN for...sports. You know, given that it's a sports channel. I don't need talking heads to tell me about the sports balls.

ESPN needs to do a better job securing rights to sports content people want to watch, not overpaying for people to harp on whatever SEC/NBA/NFL narrative they want to push.

Agreed. ESPN could get rid of all of their "talent" for the studio shows and it would have a minuscule impact on viewership IMHO. The live sports are the backbone of the network and the main reason people "have to" have the channel. The main on air talent that is important IMHO is having good broadcasters for the live sports.

Most people watching the supporting programming do so to see highlights, updates, scores, breaking news, etc not for the people relaying the information. They should be able to have relatively "cheap" hosts for such things that present the information.

PiratesoftheHM

They aren't. And they aren't why Disney made 'Zootopia', despite what Iger said.

I don't think they are why TDWC made Zootopia, but I think they are why WDAS made Zootopia. I think there are passionate, open-minded people at WDAS. They have been churning out films with strong social messages lately. Zootopia, Frozen's "be yourself" and family love is important vibe. There is a conscious effort in WDAS to make the films more diverse and less shallow in message. Whether TDWC cares only because of profits really doesn't matter because the average person equates WDAS with TWDC.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
From the LA Times: "Construction of the new $1-billion expansion at Disneyland began in April and is expected to be completed by the end of 2019."

Can anyone confirm that "end of 2019" for DL's Star Wars addition was actually stated during the shareholder's meeting today?

doctornick

They aren't. And they aren't why Disney made 'Zootopia', despite what Iger said.

Eh, it's hard to watch that movie and not come to the conclusion that it was made at least partially with the idea of making a statement about race relations and social justice. It's very easy to just make an entertaining cartoon with no deep meaning and still make money if you don't care about trying to be poignant.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't think they are why TDWC made Zootopia, but I think they are why WDAS made Zootopia. I think there are passionate, open-minded people at WDAS. They have been churning out films with strong social messages lately. Zootopia, Frozen's "be yourself" and family love is important vibe. There is a conscious effort in WDAS to make the films more diverse and less shallow in message. Whether TDWC cares only because of profits really doesn't matter because the average person equates WDAS with TWDC.

Yes, because Disney hasn't put out any movies in the past 8 decades that had a message... :rolleyes:

When I go to a movie, I want to be entertained. I don't give a **** about the director's or writer's political agenda, the studio's wanting "a strong social message", or what the SJW's were able to get injected into the movie by whatever ridiculous means they employ. If I want to find any of that crap, I can find an avalanche of it with hardly any effort these days. Just entertain us with your movie without beating us over the head with your "message". That's all I ask.

GiveMeTheMusic

From the LA Times: "Construction of the new $1-billion expansion at Disneyland began in April and is expected to be completed by the end of 2019."

Can anyone confirm that "end of 2019" for DL's Star Wars addition was actually stated during the shareholder's meeting today?

Bob Iger said what had been said previously, which is that Stars Wars lands on both coasts would open in 2019. No further details were given.

DLR's expansion is still aiming for a Christmas 2018 opening, but depending on any delays could get pushed in 2019.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Unsure of today, but it was previously touted as a new land for 2019.

DDLand

Actually, I sorta threw the towel in on that. And very soon I'll meander off through the ether for some quality "me time." The problem with this thread, or almost any for that matter, is once they reach a certain number of pages, people just talk about anything.

As to the less chit chat, I was referring to the site in general. I can't ever recall a year when the annual shareholders meeting got no attention here whatsoever (here being MAGIC, not this thread specifically). I don't know why that is really ... not that any news of substance came from the event. Bob's strategy of hiding it in places like Denver (who wants to travel there in early March?) keeps a lot of people away who might make it more entertaining. I stopped attending regularly years ago.

I would caution those fans who are getting hyped up over the idea that major projects (unannounced) are coming to WDW to use a lot of caution. Just what has been announced or is happening is a huge amount of spending ... from Pandora to new 'lands' at whatever they will be calling The Disney-MGM Studios to new road work to gondolas to DVCs etc etc.

People who think that EPCOT will be reinvented with all sorts of major new attractions in four years time are setting themselves up for huge disappointments. There really is only so much work that Disney will do, only so much money that Disney will spend on an annual basis.

Speaking of disappointment, anyone here want to tell me they like the 'rip out all the theming, add a little decoration you could buy at Home Goods and call it a deluxe resort' redos that have happened from the BC to BW at WDW and are now happening in the new Copper Creek Villas at WDW and Grand Californian rooms at DL? I just don't get it ... but I think it actually is coming from Guests who want more ordinary rooms. All at insane Disney price points.
When it comes to the future, there do seem to be a lot of concepts bouncing around right now. With that said, we know a lot of the current projects we've discussed will be done soon. Announced projects we know will be done by 2019:

1) Disney Springs (it's still just chugging along... slowly)
2) Wilderness Lodge DVC
3) Avatar
4) Typhoon Lagoon Addition
5) Toy Story Land
6) Star Wars Experience

Some sort of phase one work should be complete or close to complete on the CBR CSR front. It was also hinted we could see the Gondolas sometime around late 2019/early 2020 too.

All of this to say, most of the announced projects will be done by 2019. There's two headliner lands that will have opened, but beyond that any projects are well placed rumors.

It feels like Parks and Resorts goes in investment cycles. Let's look at what has been announced to open beyond 2019:

1) Cruise Ships
2) Disneyland's new hotel
3) Walt Disney World's hotel "improvements"
4) More money for Disneyland Paris
5) HKDL's (under attack, tiny 100 million dollar a year contribution from WDC) Expansion

Not a lot. Last D23, Disney spelled out what the next 4.5 years would look like. It would actually make sense to be finalizing the plans for the next 4.5+ years about now. The next stage of investments need to get started so they can come online in the early 2020s. That goes for Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

If they base Epcot's plans off of the HKDL/DCA/DAK approach, they'll announce a 5 year+ modernization plan. Then we're looking at project completion in 2022 or 2023. Which isn't ridiculous. Hopefully it's faster, but they seem to like their 5 year improvement plans.

A new headliner, a handful of filler attractions, and placemaking improvements done on a 5-6 year timeframe isn't ridiculous. They could even throw in an attraction or two at the other parks for a 2021 opening.

Seems plausible.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Besides that boring. Two years ago we got DHS rename and last year was the cruise ships I believe.

Chapek also conducted what seems like a new interview, and our west coast fans may want to skip it:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...s-guardians-galaxy-mission-breakout/98870354/

Unlike Florida's massive Disney World, the more compact Disneyland Resort in California does not have much room for expansion, he notes. Anything new often comes at the expense of removing or changing something old. (Although the Star Wars land coming to Disneyland Park in 2019 will be located mostly in former backstage areas and won't be displacing many existing attractions.)

"Sometimes that means we need to take something great and, quite frankly, make it greater,” Chapek says. To those concerned about how the Terror of Terror might turn out after the Imagineers retool the classic ride, he reassures that Disney is "all about exceeding guest expectations. That is our mantra."

"We believe that [the Guardians ride] gives us an anchor for a much larger superhero presence inside Disney California Adventure," says Chapek. While he wouldn't say whether a new Marvel zone might take over a section of the existing Hollywood Land or replace it altogether, it's clear that more tights-wearing, muscle-bound do-gooders are on their way to Disneyland's sister park.

Nothing we don't know, but interesting to hear his take.

Yet two years in Disney's Hollywood Studios is STILL named Disney's Hollywood Studios

The bit about Chappie, Sounds like we will have a MARVEL Superheroes park. (bout of projectile vomiting) aka Disney will do anything to push a BRAND.

truecoat

Hmmmm I was thinking that's probably a good movie to see in an I-Max theater. Bad choice or good enough movie to be seen on a huge 3D screen? I wasn't expecting Kong to be an Oscar winner.

It seems a lot of reviewers at Rotten Tomatoes don't feel the same way so you may enjoy it more than me. A little ways in, there are several things that were ridiculous in my eyes that took me out of the movie. That's a lot to say when you're talking about a giant ape movie. I lol'd several times when I wasn't supposed too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom