A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This is all I can think of-
Disney buys the Marvel rights back, Uni buys the DC theme park rights and rethemes Marvel Superhero Island to DC Superhero Island. Spider-Man becomes Superman, Hulk gets a paint job and becomes Wonder Woman (or Aquaman), and Doom & Storm are demolished to make way for a Batman dark ride.
Anyways, I don't see any of that happening, so I digress.

Being more a DC gal, I wouldn't mind a Batman or Superman ride. On part with Spidey, Hulk or Transformers.

Princess Leia

Being more a DC gal, I wouldn't mind a Batman or Superman ride. On part with Spidey, Hulk or Transformers.
With Batman's Rogue Gallery, the Spidey ride would be an easy retheme. I only went with Superman in that example since he's in the reporting business (they could keep the Scoops without needing to rename them).

Po'Rich

This is all I can think of-
Disney buys the Marvel rights back, Uni buys the DC theme park rights and rethemes Marvel Superhero Island to DC Superhero Island. Spider-Man becomes Superman, Hulk gets a paint job and becomes Wonder Woman (or Aquaman), and Doom & Storm are demolished to make way for a Batman dark ride.
Anyways, I don't see any of that happening, so I digress.
To further complicate this digression, I thought Six Flags owns the DC rights. There's Batman and Mr. Freeze rides in St. Louis. I wouldn't think that Six Flags would want to sell those rights. After all, what's left? Vertigo comics or Dark Horse?

Princess Leia

To further complicate this digression, I thought Six Flags owns the DC rights. There's Batman and Mr. Freeze rides in St. Louis. I wouldn't think that Six Flags would want to sell those rights. After all, what's left? Vertigo comics or Dark Horse?
Archie Comics :p
Go to Universal to hang out with the Riverdale gang and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
With Batman's Rogue Gallery, the Spidey ride would be an easy retheme. I only went with Superman in that example since he's in the reporting business (they could keep the Scoops without needing to rename them).

Oh, I'm not asking for a retheme of Spidey...my last name isn't Iger.... ;) Plus, I need to keep peace in the family. I would love to see a Dark Knight ride on par with the level of the three rides I mentioned.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't see a situation where Uni sells the theme park rights for Marvel characters east of the Mississippi to Disney. There isn't an armored truck big enough, not enough zero's that could be written on a check, to entice Uni to give up those rights. Not to mention it has to stick in Iger's craw somethin' fierce, and Uni seems to delight in sticking it to Disney whenever possible... :p

I don't know how exclusive the DC rights are to Six Flags, but I would imagine it would cost a LOT to get those rights. I don't see that happening either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't see a situation where Uni sells the theme park rights for Marvel characters east of the Mississippi to Disney. There isn't an armored truck big enough, not enough zero's that could be written on a check, to entice Uni to give up those rights.

Corporations are not only about money right now, but also about the assurance of money coming in in the future.

This means bargains can be made if both profit from it. Universal has the rights to some very popular Marvel characters in FL, but nowhere else. Nor does Universal has access to the full Marvel Cinematic Universe versions of those Marvel characters (just the comic book versions, which have been updated to be closer to the MCU than the ones in the past).

Both companies are making money from Marvel characters in FL, since it is a license.

Both companies can also make money from Marvel characters in FL if they share the property and everything is updated to MCU.

Imagine both a Marvel Universal Island of Adventure and a Disney Marvel Land. Imagine if Universal was allowed to re-create their MUIoA in California and internationally as long a Disney could create a Marvel Land in FL and start being able to use the "Marvel" name in the U.S. And everyone's version of Marvel characters will be updated to the MCU.

Will this happen? Probably not. But, there is an alternative to fighting over exclusivity: Sharing. And sharing the money it'll make.

lazyboy97o

Corporations are not only about money right now, but also about the assurance of money coming in in the future.

This means bargains can be made if both profit from it. Universal has the rights to some very popular Marvel characters in FL, but nowhere else. Nor does Universal has access to the full Marvel Cinematic Universe versions of those Marvel characters (just the comic book versions, which have been updated to be closer to the MCU than the ones in the past).

Both companies are making money from Marvel characters in FL, since it is a license.

Both companies can also make money from Marvel characters in FL if they share the property and everything is updated to MCU.

Imagine both a Marvel Universal Island of Adventure and a Disney Marvel Land. Imagine if Universal was allowed to re-create their MUIoA in California and internationally as long a Disney could create a Marvel Land in FL and start being able to use the "Marvel" name in the U.S. And everyone's version of Marvel characters will be updated to the MCU.

Will this happen? Probably not. But, there is an alternative to fighting over exclusivity: Sharing. And sharing the money it'll make.
Universal already has significant stability with the existing arrangement. The licensing fees are set and fairly predictable outside serious economic turmoil.

Rodan75

Universal already has significant stability with the existing arrangement. The licensing fees are set and fairly predictable outside serious economic turmoil.

While you are correct, it is what Comcast has to gain by playing ball with Disney. Spirit mentioned that everything Uni has now, they would keep for decades to come, so if anything this would be small favors that each other wants. They both need to do business with each other in multiple ways. I don't think this means that WDW would get an Iron Man or Spider-Man ride.

doctornick

Random thought about the Marvel license.... The Marvel movies are very popular in China. Uni is building a theme park in China. The Uni park is not in direct competition with either Disney resort in China (different markets all with sizable local/regional populations). We've also heard that Uni Beijing is going to have have a lot of clones.

Is it possible that part of the give and take between Uni and Disney is giving Uni Marvel rights for use in Beijing? They could copy most/all of MSHI from Florida which would likely be popular in China. It wouldn't have to be a China exclusive grant (i.e. Disney could still use the rights at their parks, as they already have done in Hong Kong). Disney might even view it as a positive by getting some licensing money (for doing nothing) while also having increased exposure of their Marvel brand in China. Could be viewed as a win-win for both side, especially if Disney gets some other concessions in return in terms of the theme park rights (maybe the ability to use the Marvel name in their domestic parks).

lazyboy97o

Random thought about the Marvel license.... The Marvel movies are very popular in China. Uni is building a theme park in China. The Uni park is not in direct competition with either Disney resort in China (different markets all with sizable local/regional populations). We've also heard that Uni Beijing is going to have have a lot of clones.

Is it possible that part of the give and take between Uni and Disney is giving Uni Marvel rights for use in Beijing? They could copy most/all of MSHI from Florida which would likely be popular in China. It wouldn't have to be a China exclusive grant (i.e. Disney could still use the rights at their parks, as they already have done in Hong Kong). Disney might even view it as a positive by getting some licensing money (for doing nothing) while also having increased exposure of their Marvel brand in China. Could be viewed as a win-win for both side, especially if Disney gets some other concessions in return in terms of the theme park rights (maybe the ability to use the Marvel name in their domestic parks).
Another property that is popular in China is taking the place of Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal Studios Beijing.

Last edited:

Rodan75

Can't imagine they would trade China for Orlando for any reason. It is more likely they build Marvel parks in every major US metro west of the Mississippi before they gave up anything in China.

Cesar R M

Nickelodeon I get- there's a lot of untapped potential for theme park licensing there beyond what we've seen at Mall of America, Jimmy Neutron, etc.

What's IDW got that's worth anything? I'm not familiar with them.
IDW is a comic producer, makes most ghostbusters, judge dredd, TMNT and many other comic series that are not fit for your usual DC and Marvel brands. Also sells TV show productions to streaming companies. Which seems to be helping them in maintaining their business despite the physical comic book market shrinking.

FigmentJedi

IDW is a comic producer, makes most ghostbusters, judge dredd, TMNT and many other comic series that are not fit for your usual DC and Marvel brands. Also sells TV show productions to streaming companies. Which seems to be helping them in maintaining their business despite the physical comic book market shrinking.
IDW is also the current publisher of the core Disney comic lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom