A Spirited Valentine ...

jpeden

In the Parks
No
He's just saying that this thread (created by him for the purpose of discussing specific things) should stay on topic so we don't have to wade through countless unrelated posts. People are certainly free to start threads to discuss other stuff.

I agree 100%. Why is there a multi-page argument about a ride failure from years ago? In the end, someone died, which is the real tragedy in the matter. It's annoying to have to sift through 10 pages of off topic info, and I'm sure it makes it hard for Spirit to want to come back and give us new info since we can't reasonably discuss it without going off on multi page arguments.

Mike S

Guys and gals, I am intending to return here when I can and respond to some of the things others have asked me and just maybe drop a bit more news (likely not on gondolas though), but it really would be helpful if there weren't 10 pages devoted to DL's issues that killed people many years ago. That info is out and ancient and while tragic has absolutely nothing that I can see to do with anything going on there or WDW or even IOA today.

If there is news, that's one thing. I've tried to make these threads catch-alls for news involving Disney and Universal that at least in some small way have something to do with the Orlando operations if at all possible. That means talk all you want about current developments, but not debating Star Wars or Avatar box office and ancient history in Anaheim ... that stuff really keeps me away from here at times because it becomes overwhelming and I know for a fact it has pushed other great members to the sidelines. Why not talk about Shanghai or RoL or Marvel in the US parks or ... something that is current and of import?

I won't be around here until the weekend and I am afraid what I will find ...
Is an Avengers ride still in the pipeline for IoA?

What's the latest scoop on Nintendo?

What have you heard about these Dragon Challenge replacement rumors I've been reading?

There, back on topic :happy:

HauntedMansionFLA

Guys and gals, I am intending to return here when I can and respond to some of the things others have asked me and just maybe drop a bit more news (likely not on gondolas though), but it really would be helpful if there weren't 10 pages devoted to DL's issues that killed people many years ago. That info is out and ancient and while tragic has absolutely nothing that I can see to do with anything going on there or WDW or even IOA today.

If there is news, that's one thing. I've tried to make these threads catch-alls for news involving Disney and Universal that at least in some small way have something to do with the Orlando operations if at all possible. That means talk all you want about current developments, but not debating Star Wars or Avatar box office and ancient history in Anaheim ... that stuff really keeps me away from here at times because it becomes overwhelming and I know for a fact it has pushed other great members to the sidelines. Why not talk about Shanghai or RoL or Marvel in the US parks or ... something that is current and of import?

@WDW1974 @ParentsOf4 and everyone else good with numbers.
How many subscribers has ESPN lost with the cord cutting the last year? Is that department really starting to suffer numbers wise? Will management start to focus more on the US parks as a means to show growth with the company? There are new resorts being built for WDW and they are gearing up for the SWL / TSL additions to DHS. DO you think WDW will start to offer a new attraction each year to boast numbers to Wall Street?
It looks like ROL over at DAK is up and running finally with positive reviews. Do you think there will be enough for people to do at night at DAK once Pandora opens up? The animal trails close down at a certain point. Kali rapids hopefully gets some attention to make it a good night time attraction to ride.
I am curious to see if Disney starts to add Marvel to WDW. It would think they would start to focus on characters that can be used at WDW. Is GotG still going into Ellen's Energy at EPCOT? The new movie is getting really good reviews so far. Hopefully something is going to be put on the front burner.

rushtest4echo

Would you like a tissue?

The discussion originated from people saying Space Mtn WDW has been neglected for years. Adding trims was argued as an example of them neglecting the ride, which is the opposite of the truth. Trims may have tamed the ride, and made it 'boring' for some, but it's routine for older coasters and isn't a sign of neglect. The ride certainly could use an overhaul, I completely agree that it should have happened a decade ago. Neglect though? The thing gets more maintenance attention than possibly any other ride, just as it's cousin in Anaheim (matterhorn) does.

Personally, I'd love to see them totally rebuild the ride with a different layout. I know that I'm in the severe minority, but I've always found "matterhorn in a box" to be jarring, uncomfortable, and now nearly as fun as DL's.

Spirit, I know you've mentioned that they've just applied too many band aids to WDW's Space Mtn, but do you feel that there's an imminent failure brewing? And if so, what's your reasoning behind that?

Princess Leia

o_Oo_Oo_O

Anywho, going back to one of the topics of Disney & Uni in China....

@WDW1974, do you know if the CEO of Wanda theme parks has a beef with Uni like he does with Disney? He was planning on opening 15-20 theme parks by 2020 to drive Disney out, but I haven't heard much about it since last summer.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I'm normally one of your biggest fans but I don't think you should be dictating what people should be talking about. There isn't a list of banned subjects to talk about.

God forbid the OP asks others to keep the thread on topic.

No one's dictating others, Spirit is simply asking for people to stay on topic. What's the point of thread topics if people decide to talk about any and everything?

SorcererMC

Would you like a tissue?

The discussion originated from people saying Space Mtn WDW has been neglected for years. Adding trims was argued as an example of them neglecting the ride, which is the opposite of the truth. Trims may have tamed the ride, and made it 'boring' for some, but it's routine for older coasters and isn't a sign of neglect. The ride certainly could use an overhaul, I completely agree that it should have happened a decade ago. Neglect though? The thing gets more maintenance attention than possibly any other ride, just as it's cousin in Anaheim (matterhorn) does.

Personally, I'd love to see them totally rebuild the ride with a different layout. I know that I'm in the severe minority, but I've always found "matterhorn in a box" to be jarring, uncomfortable, and now nearly as fun as DL's.

Spirit, I know you've mentioned that they've just applied too many band aids to WDW's Space Mtn, but do you feel that there's an imminent failure brewing? And if so, what's your reasoning behind that?

The mods and OP have been rather polite in asking that posters stay on-topic and have suggested posters start their own threads for this kind of off-topic issue.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree 100%. Why is there a multi-page argument about a ride failure from years ago? In the end, someone died, which is the real tragedy in the matter. It's annoying to have to sift through 10 pages of off topic info, and I'm sure it makes it hard for Spirit to want to come back and give us new info since we can't reasonably discuss it without going off on multi page arguments.

It's not about the ride failure(s) from years ago that is OLD NEWS, It's about management ATTITUDES which created the conditions for the ride failure.

Attitudes which were at one time thought to be discredited with the fall of Paul Pressler are once again regaining primacy in park operations on BOTH coasts because once again we have a merchandising guy in charge of the parks.

DDLand

Wanda's CEO is going to have a beef with everyone in Hollywood until he owns a studio.

I'll bid the thread adieu, that is until on-topic tabloid material needs discrediting again.
You're simply the next in a long line of people with a vendetta against @WDW1974. It's strange how people feel the need to take him down. He must really get in people's heads. It really seems to turn into an obsession.

Kind of odd...

Update:
Actually, I don't think Mr. Spirit had anything to do with all the safety talk that exploded. He even asked for it to stop.

You're correct. I looked back at some of the posts, and I misinterpreted what @rushtest4echo was saying as an attack on @WDW1974. I get kind of tired of people coming on here and complaining about him on his thread. It gets old.

So sorry about that @rushtest4echo! My mistake!

Last edited:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
It's not about the ride failure(s) from years ago that is OLD NEWS, It's about management ATTITUDES which created the conditions for the ride failure.

Attitudes which were at one time thought to be discredited with the fall of Paul Pressler are once again regaining primacy in park operations on BOTH coasts because once again we have a merchandising guy in charge of the parks.

I get that, and it's sad (and it's not the way a major park operation like WDW/DL should be run - the info about not keeping spare parts in stock befuddles me as a person who used to handle supply chain/procurement from a number of standpoints). But it's also off topic for this thread. Trust me - I'd love to have discussions about TWDC's Parks and Resorts Procurement/Supply Chain functions and how it operates, but not on this thread. Everyone goes off topic from time to time, and I get that, but I feel like at least 10 pages of this thread were dedicated to people arguing about the mechanics behind the DL BTMRR Failure.

I agree, Chapek needs to go because he doesn't get parks. I honestly think (and this is going to probably cause groans), but I'd love to see Kalogridis in charge of Parks and Resorts. He actually started in WDW in 1971 so I think he gets it more than most, but I feel like his hands get tied by Burbank. Of course, I could be totally off base on my opinion of him as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have a question. How much of AKs projected increases will be from true resort attendance growth vs. siphoning guests away from other parks?
I'm sure the spin will be large increase in attendance. Not sure we will entirely know for sure what actually happens.

My 2 cents on the matter. This is the first true e-ticket added to WDW in over a decade. Disney is advertising the crap out of this already and will probably ramp up even more as we get closer to summer. This land is a lot more substantial than FLE and it's opening all at once so if you believe Disney that FLE resulted in an uptick in attendance this should as well.

I do think it will also draw guests away from the other parks, especially at night. They cancelled the light parade at MK and added ROL at AK which will help with the shift. DHS is still largely a construction site too so it should draw guests away from there.

Time will tell, but I wouldn't be shocked if AK passed EPCOT in attendance in the short term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom