News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Maeryk

Just reading about Whistler! "Each holds 28 passengers, allowing the system to carry 4100 people per hour." Much more that I was expecting! So even if they have to make adjustment for strollers, this would still be higher capacity than I expected. I guess I need to look at the previous pics again. Wasn't expecting a large enough turnaround to handle something like this.

Tech has come a looooong way in the past 40 years. People seeing this as a reinterpretation of the skyway are missing the big picture. I rode the big gondola at Killington, and it was awesome.. heated, good throughput, wind was howling and it was pretty stable, and it moves much faster than it appears to move from a long range video.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just reading about Whistler! "Each holds 28 passengers, allowing the system to carry 4100 people per hour." Much more that I was expecting! So even if they have to make adjustment for strollers, this would still be higher capacity than I expected. I guess I need to look at the previous pics again. Wasn't expecting a large enough turnaround to handle something like this.
I posted these pictures of the peak to peak gondola at Whistler that you are talking about many pages ago, but it's easier to repost than to find my other posts:

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

Kamikaze

For DHS yes but Epcot might have to change a bit more. The Epcot station would go in the area directly where the race goes through to backstage at Epcot. While that backstage entrance might still be open after construction my question is during construction so specifically 2018 and 2019.

The marathon route at that point is already on the very west side (furthest from the park). They would just have to have a path open on that side. Don't forget that besides when cables are being strung, all construction is basically vertical, so it will be contained in a big 'box' more or less.

I've drawn a pic of the spot. Blue is current path, red is an acceptable alternate. As long as the course is longer, not shorter, they don't need to get the course recertified.
6voCe2E.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.GrantSeeker

So I have a question...Are they going to just let these gondolas hang around on the cables after the parks close and transportation is done for the night? Or will they all get parked at their corresponding stations?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So I have a question...Are they going to just let these gondolas hang around on the cables after the parks close and transportation is done for the night? Or will they all get parked at their corresponding stations?
I think someone said there would be storage at the CBR hub station.

donaldtoo

LOL! I haven't been down to 6th street in a few weeks so I had to do a double take when I saw that picture. As you pointed out, it's only concept art. There were some proposals for a like system a couple of years ago but we have so many more who would like to see a choo-choo running thru downtown that I doubt we'll ever get an innovative pod transport.

Hahaaa...!
Yea, even though I spent a massive amount of my '80-'84 serious party years down there, I honestly can't remember the last time I was on 6th St.... :cyclops:
OK, so probably because I was too wasted to remember the last time I was on 6th St....!!! :hilarious: :oops:

Yes, pedestrians, bikes, rickshaws ;), cars, busses, delivery/commercial trucks, light rail, etc., all make so much sense on the same street level. :rolleyes:
Last I heard, there were at least a few tangles in Houston every day between light rail and motor vehicles.
What about the the proposal from a local architect that they bury about 3 Miles of midtown I-35 to make the transition from west-ish to East Austin less..."harsh", I believe was the word used. :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:
And, can you just imagine the cost of trying to build some sort of subway system around here, with all the limestone to get through, along with the aquifers....?! Ain't gonna' happen.
Of all modes of transportation, elevated, of some sort, seems to make the most sense, especially in the downtown area.
But, yep, that will probably never happen in the relatively near future either.

Skyman1971

I posted these pictures of the peak to peak gondola at Whistler that you are talking about many pages ago, but it's easier to repost than to find my other posts:

View attachment 190271 View attachment 190272
There are only 2 installations like that in the world, and I fortunately have ridden both of them and yes they are fabulous, but they are very unique installations between peaks of mountains with a thousand foot Valley underneath them. They also cost 50 million apiece. I'm pretty sure they will be your standard Gondola type like the Breckenridge pics earlier in the post or a larger 10-12 passenger cabin. They probably will cost half as much, or even less

Maeryk

Hahaaa...!
Yea, even though I spent a massive amount of my '80-'84 serious party years down there, I honestly can't remember the last time I was on 6th St.... :cyclops:
OK, so probably because I was too wasted to remember the last time I was on 6th St....!!! :hilarious: :oops:

Yes, pedestrians, bikes, rickshaws ;), cars, busses, delivery/commercial trucks, light rail, etc., all make so much sense on the same street level. :rolleyes:
Last I heard, there were at least a few tangles in Houston every day between light rail and motor vehicles.
What about the the proposal from a local architect that they bury about 3 Miles of midtown I-35 to make the transition from west-ish to East Austin less..."harsh", I believe was the word used. :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:
And, can you just imagine the cost of trying to build some sort of subway system around here, with all the limestone to get through, along with the aquifers....?! Ain't gonna' happen.
Of all modes of transportation, elevated, of some sort, seems to make the most sense, especially in the downtown area.
But, yep, that will probably never happen in the relatively near future either.

wait till ShelbyWorld gets one.. ;)

Maeryk

There are only 2 installations like that in the world, and I fortunately have ridden both of them and yes they are fabulous, but they are very unique installations between peaks of mountains with a thousand foot Valley underneath them. They also cost 50 million apiece. I'm pretty sure they will be your standard Gondola type like the Breckenridge pics earlier in the post or a larger 10-12 passenger cabin. They probably will cost half as much, or even less

A significant part of the cost was because they are peak to peak.. everything has to be hauled up a mountain.. or up a mountain and then down into a valley, to be built. Whistler had to fly the concrete in for the pours by helicopter.. that assuredly added cost to the installation. And even if it DOES cost 50.. or 100 million. that's a drop in the bucket to WDW. The Las Vegas monorail.. which is the same tech as the WDW system, came in at about 88M/mile.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They should cost a lot less, but this is Disney. Based on this post they may be a little bigger than 10-12.
Supposedly, this is the system they are using.

https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/3s-gondola-lift/

Each gondola holds 35 passengers.

Moves at 8.5m/sec

Detatchable gondolas for staged loading

10,000ppl/hr (5,000ppl/hour each direction)

Can operate in up to 50mph winds

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Didn't someone "confirm" it was the 30 seat, tri-rope cabins?
Based on this exchange @Disneyhead'71 seems pretty confident on the model being used. I think this got buried in the many pages of this fast moving thread.

Supposedly, this is the system they are using.

https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/3s-gondola-lift/

Each gondola holds 35 passengers.

Moves at 8.5m/sec

Detatchable gondolas for staged loading

10,000ppl/hr (5,000ppl/hour each direction)

Can operate in up to 50mph winds
Possibly not that high a capacity per gondola.
How they configure the interior of the gondolas is up to Disney. The more seats, the less people. But I'm pretty sure that this is the manufacturer and model.

And I wouldn't be surprised, now that the cat is out of the bag, if Uni has an announcement of it's own very soon.

El_Tomato

So, random question... have they thought of using a Peoplemover-like system, instead of the gondolas? (Sorry if this has been asked before)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom