News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

TimeTrip

And there's no point in having a Boardwalk station since the resort is already well connected to DHS and Epcot with boats and walking paths.
Not even a Cast Members load/unload only.. especially if they might be losing parking at CBR? I know that lot over there is usually full.. but hey...

Maeryk

uh yeah, that's just not true at all, there are still trees down on Disney property from a hurricane about 10 years ago

Not that they never get them, but Disney gets hurricanes about as often as New Jersey does. So, not very often.

peter11435

so you have something besides this one blueprint that you originally posted in this thread? that's what I've been trying get to the bottom of here... though I do think it's a tad suspicious that this alleged gondola station is roughly the same size as all the other monorail stations on property, is in the one location the could possibly build a monorail station at the Studios, and seem to be directly over the Studios resort bus stop, making it a pretty good transportation hub
upload_2017-2-14_19-8-44-png.189659
It's a gondola. Nothing else to get to the bottom of...

Kamikaze

uh yeah, that's just not true at all, there are still trees down on Disney property from a hurricane about 10 years ago

Just because a hurricane has happened doesn't mean that its 'known' for it. Also, why would they clean up trees that aren't impeding anything? Doesn't make sense. Since WDW opened, only 11 hurricanes have made Florida landfall. Only 3 have gone on to cross the Orlando area. In 46+ years. Which is, coincidentally, the same number that have effected New York City in that same time period. Is NYC 'known' for hurricanes?

TiggerDad

so you have something besides this one blueprint that you originally posted in this thread? that's what I've been trying get to the bottom of here... though I do think it's a tad suspicious that this alleged gondola station is roughly the same size as all the other monorail stations on property, is in the one location the could possibly build a monorail station at the Studios, and seem to be directly over the Studios resort bus stop, making it a pretty good transportation hub
Yes, there is more than just this one blueprint. I encourage you to check out the DHS Permits thread.

britain

Each station should be themed appropriately to its location.

You know what's cool about this (aside from many things)? It's akin to that 1971 notion of taking Disneyland to Florida and then exploding the themes and concepts beyond the berm.

Adventureland? We'll give you a whole Polynesian Resort!
Tomorrowland? Behold the Contemporary, with the Monorail now doing actual transportation!
Frontierland? How about a real campground with hoedowns and a steamtrain (there was one)!

And now... Walt's little Skyway that used to give peeks into the Matterhorn is also being promoted to do real transportation work.

It's not just Disneyland, it's Disney WORLD!

Skyman1971

There are several lifts in the Caribbean and other hurricane prone areas. They have procedures to minimize any damage that might occur. I know the ones on the top Of mountains in ski areas can occasionally get hit by winds over 100 MPH without damaging them. They obviously do not run in conditions like that.

Rteetz

So with where the DHS station is going, and potentially the Epcot station, they will have to change up the Marathon course a bit again because the race goes right by/through those two areas.

twilight mitsuk

you mean like a monorail? These things routinely deal with 75+ mph gusts _while running_ in Whistler, and are capable of sustaining much higher wind speeds when shut down, with the cars off the drag rope. Hurricanes don't generally show up out of nowhere and surprise people. They park the monorail trains, batten down the buses, and would, presumably, unhook the gondolas and put them in the shed for the duration.

which they do with skyride buckets at BGT

BubbaQuest

...My personal experiences on gondolas/trams - on ski mountains they were small with seats. On the Sandia Tramway in New Mexico, it was much larger with standing room only. While standing room on the Sandia Tramway kinda works (one ride up, one ride down), I think it would work less so for guests staying on a multiday trip - it definitely becomes less of an attraction.

That's my question too. The 4-6 seaters I've been on don't have a lot of room. Usually the skis go on the outside. No clue where the strollers would go. The larger stand up I've ridden would have plenty of room for strollers, but it was a one up/down situation every 30 minutes. Has anyone tried to guess at the width available? I'm assuming it will be a two bench cabin, not a large standup. So where do the strollers go? Will those guests be required to stick to buses?

P.S. Just looked at the Whistler gondola. Looks like that would have plenty of room for strollers if they remove the middle bench. But that's a large gondola. Do we think WDW will have that much space for this?

Last edited:

Rteetz

Minor changes just to go around it.
For DHS yes but Epcot might have to change a bit more. The Epcot station would go in the area directly where the race goes through to backstage at Epcot. While that backstage entrance might still be open after construction my question is during construction so specifically 2018 and 2019.

Maeryk

That's my question too. The 4-6 seaters I've been on don't have a lot of room. Usually the skis go on the outside. No clue where the strollers would go. The larger stand up I've ridden would have plenty of room for strollers, but it was a one up/down situation every 30 minutes. Has anyone tried to guess at the width available? I'm assuming it will be a two bench cabin, not a large standup. So where do the strollers go? Will those guests be required to stick to buses?

Based on the building sizes, I'm _guessing_ you are looking at something like the peak 2 peak at Whistler or the Killington setup. They are big cars, and strollers would be dealt with like monorails now.. SRO in the middle of the cabin. The one up/one down situation seems like a funicular setup, where they counterbalance. The system here being discussed is a demand system with a gondola every couple of minutes, off-drag loading/unloading and a constant stream on the drag rope. Throughput of like, 4000 people/hr average on existing systems. Could be higher, depending on car size and the speed of the system. (less height may mean they can run a faster drag rope).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The size, shape and layout of these buildings along with the ones at CBR are a much better fit to a gondola system then a monorail expansion.

Kamikaze

They will likely be in the 20-30 person range. That fits in the in range for all proposed/in-progress public transport gondola systems.

Kamikaze

P.S. Just looked at the Whistler gondola. Looks like that would have plenty of room for strollers if they remove the middle bench. But that's a large gondola. Do we think WDW will have that much space for this?

Space is not an issue. The size of the vehicles doesn't change the size of the lift system that much at all. You're talking a few extra feet wide.

BubbaQuest

Based on the building sizes, I'm _guessing_ you are looking at something like the peak 2 peak at Whistler or the Killington setup. ... Throughput of like, 4000 people/hr average on existing systems.

Just reading about Whistler! "Each holds 28 passengers, allowing the system to carry 4100 people per hour." Much more that I was expecting! So even if they have to make adjustment for strollers, this would still be higher capacity than I expected. I guess I need to look at the previous pics again. Wasn't expecting a large enough turnaround to handle something like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom