News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

TimeTrip

I'm sure it does.

On a brighter note I don't think you'll take a gondola to the Springs.
It might but nobody has managed to dig up an example yet. The most complex thing we've seen is inline station loading/unloading on the same line.

I'd love to see an innovative transfer system, but it would have to be made extremely well. It would also mean in high times (park opening) that throughput on downstream transfers would need to be lowered so the busy line (hub point to park) wouldn't get overloaded. It wouldn't change the travel time, because in a separate line situation you'd be waiting again at the transfer point. It would just reduce the transfer need.

We're talking DIA level of complexity probably. Not as large scale yes, but dealing with people instead of luggage so a screw up is much worse :). And they never did get the DIA luggage system working....

P_Radden

Thanks to @rfc0001 for bringing the line down to AoA/Pop, now we have an updated map:
Gondola3.png

Last edited:

Kamikaze

rfc0001

No, the person he quoted is incorrect. Coronado isn't being upgraded to a deluxe resort. Its adding more upscale rooms which will be more business oriented, but its not going to be a deluxe. Caribbean is adding DVC which will make it a mix of DVC and moderate.
This is Disney's press release, not Tom's article, which I think you are referring to. According to Disney's own words, it will feature "suites and concierge level services". That said, they may create a new category and/or call it something other than Deluxe (e.g. "Business Deluxe"). Also, this is a new hotel in addition the existing Moderate Resort Hotel, so it will be a mix, similar to CBR, which will likely be a Deluxe Villa (DVC) Resort along with the existing Moderate Resort Hotel. The context is something similar could happen at AoA and/or Pop Century, especially if they want to subsidize a Gondola development and operation with a DVC conversion at those resorts.

Last edited:

TiggerDad

This is Disney's press release, not Tom's article, which I think you are referring to. According to Disney's own words, it will feature "suites and concierge level services" which by definition would make it a Deluxe according to existing resort categories (I'm unaware of other moderates with "suites and concierge level services"). That said, they may create a new category and/or call it something other than Deluxe (e.g. "Business Deluxe").
@WDW1974 has indicated on his thread that they will be moving away from the Deluxe/Moderate/etc category labels.

RobbinsDad

This is Disney's press release, not Tom's article, which I think you are referring to. According to Disney's own words, it will feature "suites and concierge level services" which by definition would make it a Deluxe according to existing resort categories (I'm unaware of other moderates with "suites and concierge level services"). That said, they may create a new category and/or call it something other than Deluxe (e.g. "Business Deluxe").
My guess is that it will be a Deluxe-level rate for the general public, but conventioneers will have significant rate discount codes similar to other hotels that offer block discounts to conventions held onsite.

CaptainAmerica

This is Disney's press release, not Tom's article, which I think you are referring to. According to Disney's own words, it will feature "suites and concierge level services" which by definition would make it a Deluxe according to existing resort categories (I'm unaware of other moderates with "suites and concierge level services"). That said, they may create a new category and/or call it something other than Deluxe (e.g. "Business Deluxe"). Also, this is a new hotel in addition the existing Moderate Resort Hotel, so it will be a mix, similar to CBR (which will likely be a Deluxe Villa (DVC) Resort along with the existing Moderate Resort Hotel). The context is something similar could happen at AoA and/or Pop Century, especially if they want to subsidize a Gondola development and operation with a DVC conversion at those resorts.
Coronado already has concierge services. Art of Animation has suites. Neither of those things makes it a deluxe resort.

rfc0001

Coronado already has concierge services. Art of Animation has suites. Neither of those things makes it a deluxe resort.
I knew AoA and All Star Music had family suites, but was thinking all other suites were at Deluxe. A quick check of Coronado rooms tells me that is wrong :facepalm:. Thanks :D.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's a shame, as it makes the system much harder to scale, because once it gets to a certain size too many transfers become required, essentially making buses faster.

A smart system that taps into MM+ would make so much sense long term. But not thinking long term is how we arrived in this position to begin with.

A hub-and-spoke system isn't necessarily inefficient. If a GL system is expanded to everywhere, you're not going to get a lot of traffic of people traveling from Caribbean to Coronado, e.g. The big trunks of the system will be the legs that go to and from the parks. That sets up a hub system for better efficiency as long as you have well-placed hubs.

A system where each Gondola can be directed on and off different tracks has the potential to cause gondolas to congregate and back up on the much-used destinations.

Sorry to kick this back a few pages. I thought this lined up pretty well with the height balloons over Fantasia Gardens and the new hotel at CSR. I can't imagine them adding a new hotel that close to a new transportation system, and not including a station here. Then again, maybe I can.... Did we ever figure out what the new Fantasia Gardens work is going to be?

@marni1971 has said that Marriott is considering building a Swolphin tower there on the parking lot, tennis courts, and cabanas (but keeping the mini golf).

No, the person he quoted is incorrect. Coronado isn't being upgraded to a deluxe resort. Its adding more upscale rooms which will be more business oriented, but its not going to be a deluxe. Caribbean is adding DVC which will make it a mix of DVC and moderate.

Caribbean is adding a new section which will be DVC. It's been intimated that the DVC to be added may not be under the "Caribbean umbrella," and instead, a separate resort area. This will keep what is left of Caribbean as "Moderate", and the DVC as "deluxe."

Is this real?

Maybeeee... More than likely the new tower of Coronado will be deluxe, the press release has said as much. But it is in the air whether the room refurbs will be enough to call them deluxe, or if they'll stay at a more Moderate price point.

Apparently there's this thing people have, which I don't understand, that having your room open to the outdoors or to a hallway is a huge determiner of the room's luxe-ness. Thus, it may be a hard sell to pitch the old CSR rooms as deluxe.

DrewmanS

They will load like a traditional system. As far as I know Trinidad Station (CBR south) will in effect be the terminus of what are three separate cable systems.

For example, going from POP to DHS you'll board at POP, alight at Trinidad and board another gondola heading for DHS. Going from POP to Epcot you'll alight at Trinidad again but this time board another gondola heading for Epcot via the DVC station.

Could it be 2 line systems with Trinidad being a turn/unload/load for the Epcot/HS line and a terminus for the Pop to CBR line?

3 lines makes sense from a cost and propulsion standpoint (seperate smaller drive motors for each line all located in same building) but 2 lines would be simpler for guests.

That said, having shorter runs and requiring disembarking for transfers can help with guest behavior. Less time to engage in inappropriate behavior and prevents people from joy riding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom