News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So you guys are pretty sure about the gondolas then? It just seem like overkill for one resort, and is not real "next-gen". It would have the same problem as a monorail or track based system in that you can't expand on it very easily, but Disney has these trackless ride systems now for things like Toy Story Spin and Google has their driver-less cars. Some type of "Driver-less Bus" or "Driver-less Tram" would get the job done, all it would need is it's own private road way, and wouldn't need to be elevated except for the occasional bridge over the existing roads. this "L shaped" structure to me looks like a place were 2 separate road way would connect, one "express" way just between the Studios and Epcot's Intentional gateway and then a secondary spur off to the Caribbean Beach Resort, and potentially the Port Orleans, Old Key West, ans Saratoga Springs resorts as well

The evidence of the permits is pretty conclusive, not to mention various sources have confirmed it's gondolas. These would actually serve 3 resorts (4 if CBR is split into two resorts as rumored). I think present day Disney is much more interested in "practical" then "next-gen".

rfc0001

We don't have to imagine where it will end up if you can precisely continue that line down. The only question is whether @P_Radden is right about the bridge in the middle (as I think too) or parking lots on either end of the lake. Since you seem to have the map skills that I lack, I was hoping you could show us exactly where that line would intersect the bridge and the far end of the lake.
Gotcha -- now I understand the question. I'll take a look.

DisneyOwl12

I was just stating that the trip from TTC to Epcot is quicker then the trip from HS to Epcot via these Gondolas.

So the question I have about not having to disembark is , how would the gondola know where I wanted to go at some of those transfer stations. I suspect if I do not have to leave the gondola then a waiting queue of gondolas would have to amass somewhere. I would also think that telling the lift attendant when I get to the station would be super inefficient. Either way, (staying in the gondola or transferring to another one) I think those transfer stations will add time to your 17 minutes.

On the Breckenridge gondola, which is what I'm basing this assumption on, there are two mid-stations that every gondola goes through on the way from the town (in this case DHS) to the base of the ski slope (in this case EPCOT). At the two mid-stations in Breck (two CBR stations here), your gondola simply slows down, never stopping, the doors open and you choose to get off or stay on. If you get off when you arrive at the mid-station, there's plenty of time for someone waiting to get on at that station to get on. It's the same load/unload process as if you arrive at one of the end-stations, except nobody tells you that you have to get off. If joyriders that didn't get off began to clog the system, the could just make it to where it was mandatory that you had to get off at the parks' end-stations. IF they do it the way I envision (and i have absolutely no inside knowledge of this, or any other Disney project, btw) the only "transfer" station would be at the large, southerly CBR station and you'd only need to get off and transfer if you wanted to go to AoA/Pop. You would get off of this main line and get on a secondary line dedicated solely to AoA/Pop. In this case, the gondola doesn't need to "know" where you want to go. It goes where it goes, and you make the decision where you want to get off.

As for the timing, the Breck gondola has a one-way distance of around 7,600ft and takes 10 minutes. Based off of google earth's ruler, the EPCOT to DHS route would be around 13,000ft. Assuming the same speed, with both having 2 mid-stations, it would come out to around 17 minutes.

Disney-Trains

That's my point. I didn't propose the grouping, I responded to someone else who did. Ideally, none of the gondolas ever stop, only slow to a speed that allows load/unload at each station along the route.

I mentioned the grouping just as a a way to load a group of cars going to the same destination.

I've seen constant moving gondolas with multiple stops in Colorado, I just can't see that working as easy in Florida when it's crowded (and when parks close it will be crowded... Look at the line for the friendship boats and that's a lot less number of guest rooms.)

In my vision.. Cars would constantly come in, stop, unload, and proceed to a turnaround q where they would line up in groups of 2 or 3 for boarding. Those cars would then be dispatched together and all go to the same destination. The idea being... Guests can be lined up for boarding (think soarin... One guest per cable car picture on the ground please!) as the last cars get dispatched. The next cars arrive, doors open, and then are cleared for dispatch. Etc.

TiggerDad

So you guys are pretty sure about the gondolas then? It just seem like overkill for one resort, and is not real "next-gen". It would have the same problem as a monorail or track based system in that you can't expand on it very easily, but Disney has these trackless ride systems now for things like Toy Story Spin and Google has their driver-less cars. Some type of "Driver-less Bus" or "Driver-less Tram" would get the job done, all it would need is it's own private road way, and wouldn't need to be elevated except for the occasional bridge over the existing roads. this "L shaped" structure to me looks like a place were 2 separate road way would connect, one "express" way just between the Studios and Epcot's Intentional gateway and then a secondary spur off to the Caribbean Beach Resort, and potentially the Port Orleans, Old Key West, ans Saratoga Springs resorts as well
I don't think this is consistent with the permits. If the line leaving DHS is going NE, why is the building there oriented E-W? Why is there a clear path from that building that leads straight to the big box in CBR?
If you zoom into the L shaped structure in the Boardwalk parking lot, the middle is curved, consistent with a turning structure. If you zoom into the one near the new CBR DVC tower, the middle part is flat, so I think that structure is the one that acts as a Y, not the Boardwalk one.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This has been one of the most enjoyable reads i have ever seen on this forum.

Well, see, that's the first thing you're wrong about, because it's evident you didn't read the thread. If you did, you wouldn't have said something ridiculous like the gondola has to be high because WDW is flat. Nor would you be repeating the oft shot down canard about lightning. You are really very far out of the loop.

Yeah, agree they wouldn't build a gravel road through an existing retention pond if they could just build one off to the side, so would seem to indicate that.

You asked earlier about how our sleuths pieced this together, it was that gravel road plus questioning what the new building in front of DHS was that led to realizing they line up perfectly.... and why would that be?... A linear particle accelerator!! No, wait, a gondola lift!

TiggerDad

So I read as far as I could in the thus far 47 pages and now just have to ask flat out, is this a definite thing, or just educated speculation? It seems like a really great idea, not sure I'm into the idea of travelling over the roofs of half the CBR, but other than that it seems awesome.
The part about traveling over the roofs of Jamaica and Aruba also troubles me. Everywhere else, they worked hard to go around buildings, rather than over. That's why I initially was convinced that those two areas would also be torn down and replaced. But insiders have been saying they will stay.

There is clearly more to the CBR changes than we have been able to figure out. For example, they are realigning ponds in areas where there is no apparent need to do so. Something else is happening, we just don't know what yet.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So I read as far as I could in the thus far 47 pages and now just have to ask flat out, is this a definite thing, or just educated speculation? It seems like a really great idea, not sure I'm into the idea of travelling over the roofs of half the CBR, but other than that it seems awesome.

Considering construction permits were filed I for one am assuming that this is 'for real'.

DisneyOwl12

I mentioned the grouping just as a a way to load a group of cars going to the same destination.

I've seen constant moving gondolas with multiple stops in Colorado, I just can't see that working as easy in Florida when it's crowded (and when parks close it will be crowded... Look at the line for the friendship boats and that's a lot less number of guest rooms.)

In my vision.. Cars would constantly come in, stop, unload, and proceed to a turnaround q where they would line up in groups of 2 or 3 for boarding. Those cars would then be dispatched together and all go to the same destination. The idea being... Guests can be lined up for boarding (think soarin... One guest per cable car picture on the ground please!) as the last cars get dispatched. The next cars arrive, doors open, and then are cleared for dispatch. Etc.

And that could certainly be the case. I imagine it being more people mover style load/unload than Soarin'. There will certainly be a wait at peak times, but if the alternative is the bus and there's a big wait for CBR and you're at the back, how long is it going to take for that 2nd or 3rd bus to come back for you to get on? I'd imagine it's comparable to waiting in line for the omnimover-type gondola, but maybe I'm wrong...I'm just excited there may be another option other than the friendship boats and the buses.

Nubs70

This is a great idea! I'm an avid skier and ride lifts all the time, and per mile traveled it's about as efficient and way of moving people there is (without tunneling, laying track etc.) And I love the ride too, I've missed the skyways ever since they removed them.
They will probably be standard high speed gondola types with a capacity of 3000-4000 an hour my guess.
As a skier myself, how do you see the size of WDW clientele affecting gondola operation?

Several large adults on one side and small children on the other, the cab is going to come into the terminal sideways .

Disney-Trains

Oh yes, I'm excited too! The constant loading could certainly be possible. As you mentioned... It also depends on how big of a car they go with, someone had mentioned the 30 seat cars as being likely, which seem a good size for this system.

Skyman1971

As a skier myself, how do you see the size of WDW clientele affecting gondola operation?

Several large adults on one side and small children on the other, the cab is going to come into the terminal sideways .

I've seen that same situation many times on gondolas with young children, and it's never been a problem that I have seen. They have those cabins balanced really well!

IWant2GoNow

It could be more a when than an if.

So if eventually all 4 major parks are connected, does the monorail get taken out of service for cost saving/safety measures or do they keep it running for higher transportation capacity? I could never see them getting rid of it, but crazier things have happened...

Skyman1971

So if eventually all 4 major parks are connected, does the monorail get taken out of service for cost saving/safety measures or do they keep it running for higher transportation capacity? I could never see them getting rid of it, but crazier things have happened...

Getting rid of the monorail would be destroying one of the greatest icons WD ever created. I could not imagine that would ever happen...but who knows I guess....

macfreak

someone mentioned about the cost. Well Its not been maybe 2 years since Disney redid all the rooms at CBR. Completly remodel not just a paint job. Putting the doors in the doorway to the vanity rather then the curtin. New lights, the trundle bed in some rooms and then they painted all the outsides right around that time. So now Disney is going to demolish a quarter of the resort and build new buildings so why not the gondola? I would think it would bring value to the resort and save money over running the busses

Figments Friend

I could see the possibility in the future of the WDW Monorail being restricted for use only by Guests staying at the WDW Monorail Resorts.
What a nice exclusive perk for Disney to market to try to motivate people to room in one of those pricier Resort hotel options.
This would keep the iconic Monorails moving around the beams still functioning as transportation, but they would no longer be in use for general public Guest use.

This of course would only happen once the new transportation options (s) are fully up and operational.
A thought....

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom