News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

rfc0001

This has been discussed in other threads but it is time for it to have it's own thread.

Recent permits related to Caribbean Beach Resort and DHS seem to indicate that a new transportation system between CBR, DHS, Epcot and possible AOA might be in the works.

The CBR permit showed these two new structures which by themselves don't look to interesting.

View attachment 189658

A DHS permit this week shows two more new structure around DHS, as well as a construction access road which is not shown here.

View attachment 189659

The shapes, location, and orientation of these structure form a interesting pattern that may not be coincidental. Thanks to @P_Radden for this map.

Based on this information a gondola/skyride system of some sort looks like a possibility.

View attachment 189660
This is an amazing discovery :happy:. I was very skeptical at first when I saw this making the Disney news rounds, but after stitching the actual plans together and seeing it for myself, it's pretty undeniable they are planning something. Having done that, I have no idea how you stitched this together in your head :joyfull:.

Here is a mashup of the actual plans from the CBR and DHS filings, showing everything lining up perfectly, including gravel construction drives under the legs from CBR to DHS and CBR to AoA:

Gondola.PNG
Gondola 2.PNG

DisneyOwl12

Considering that cars switch off the cable for load/unload, No advantage to grouping them and it would slow dispatch

That's my point. I didn't propose the grouping, I responded to someone else who did. Ideally, none of the gondolas ever stop, only slow to a speed that allows load/unload at each station along the route.

P_Radden

This is an amazing discovery :happy:. I was very skeptical at first when I saw this making the Disney news rounds, but after stitching the actual plans together and seeing it for myself, it's pretty undeniable they are planning something. Having done that, I have no idea how you stitched this together in your head :joyfull:.

Here is a mashup of the actual plans from the CBR and DHS filings, showing everything lining up perfectly, including gravel construction drives under the legs from CBR to DHS and CBR to AoA:

View attachment 189970
View attachment 189977

@rfc0001 fantastic job with these images!

Wow, so our original map was basically spot on :) I bet it's the location of the AoA/Pop! station that is inaccurate. If it is not at the top parking lot, I hope it is near the bridge smack dab in the middle of the two resorts:
aoa.png

Last edited:

csmat99

Agreed. Plus, as has been noted a million times in this thread, gondolas are not new to the world technology. People are not jumping out of them in NYC, Steamboat Springs, Zermatt, etc. Also, there is technology that didn't exist in the 1970's - put a $100 video camera or the like in each of these to help cut down on bad behavior if you are worried about it.
bad behavior? So instead of mile high club it's the 15ft high club? ;)

TiggerDad

View attachment 189970
View attachment 189977
can you keep going on the bottom leg?

montyz81

If Disney would connect this to DS, it would defeat the purpose of not having direct bus service from DS to the parks, which they've already shown they don't want to do. Off-site guests would park at DS then take the gondola to DHS or Epcot. This would clog up the DS parking even more than it already is and possibly lead to paid parking there in the future.

I posted earlier in this thread a comparison to an existing gondola in Breckenridge, CO. Going off of its specs, the trip from DHS to Epcot or vice versa would take around 17-18 minutes. How long does it take to get from DHS to Epcot in a friendship boat? I haven't timed it and it's been a few years, but the boat felt like it took forever to make the trip and still involves having to stop a multiple resorts, unless you choose to walk part of the way along the Boardwalk, which is what my family does. This also doesn't take into account the time you spend waiting for the boat. The continuous load of the gondola system would ensure the wait to get on is minimal aside from the open/close rush.

Additionally, existing gondola systems have shown that these lines can accommodate load/unload without having to disembark at each mid-station and board a new car.

I don't follow your point about the TTC to Epcot route, as that's already serviced by the monorail and shouldn't be affected by this project.
I was just stating that the trip from TTC to Epcot is quicker then the trip from HS to Epcot via these Gondolas.

So the question I have about not having to disembark is , how would the gondola know where I wanted to go at some of those transfer stations. I suspect if I do not have to leave the gondola then a waiting queue of gondolas would have to amass somewhere. I would also think that telling the lift attendant when I get to the station would be super inefficient. Either way, (staying in the gondola or transferring to another one) I think those transfer stations will add time to your 17 minutes.

rfc0001

can you keep going on the bottom leg?
The only thing in the plans is the gravel construction drive between CBR and AoA - no endpoint (same in Epcot), so we are just left to imagine where it ends up. As @wdrl pointed out to me, they probably don't need to submit plans to SFWMD if they are building on an existing improved surface, since these plans are just for water management. The other possibility is it's just a construction drive for CBR and there is no leg to AoA (sorry folks) :).

Father Robinson

So I read as far as I could in the thus far 47 pages and now just have to ask flat out, is this a definite thing, or just educated speculation? It seems like a really great idea, not sure I'm into the idea of travelling over the roofs of half the CBR, but other than that it seems awesome.

tl77

The line is based on the angle of one of the legs of the north building. Going over the resort buildings does seem odd, but definitely not out of the question.

The map is good. Mostly. Including the part you mentioned.
Storage will be part of the south CBR station.

So you guys are pretty sure about the gondolas then? It just seem like overkill for one resort, and is not real "next-gen". It would have the same problem as a monorail or track based system in that you can't expand on it very easily, but Disney has these trackless ride systems now for things like Toy Story Spin and Google has their driver-less cars. Some type of "Driver-less Bus" or "Driver-less Tram" would get the job done, all it would need is it's own private road way, and wouldn't need to be elevated except for the occasional bridge over the existing roads. this "L shaped" structure to me looks like a place were 2 separate road way would connect, one "express" way just between the Studios and Epcot's Intentional gateway and then a secondary spur off to the Caribbean Beach Resort, and potentially the Port Orleans, Old Key West, ans Saratoga Springs resorts as well

Attachments

• new transport.jpg
    new transport.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 179

peter11435

The only thing in the plans is the gravel construction drive between CBR and AoA - no endpoint (same in Epcot), so we are just left to imagine where it ends up. As @wdrl pointed out to me, they probably don't need to submit plans to SFWMD if they are building on an existing improved surface, since these plans are just for water management. The other possibility is it's just a construction drive for CBR and there is no leg to AoA (sorry folks) :).
The plans so ponds on both sides of that gravel strip so it's definitely being purposely constructed for reasons other than construction and it is perfectly parallel with the line heading from the north.

P_Radden

So you guys are pretty sure about the gondolas then? It just seem like overkill for one resort, and is not real "next-gen". It would have the same problem as a monorail or track based system in that you can't expand on it very easily, but Disney has these trackless ride systems now for things like Toy Story Spin and Google has their driver-less cars. Some type of "Driver-less Bus" or "Driver-less Tram" would get the job done, all it would need is it's own private road way, and wouldn't need to be elevated except for the occasional bridge over the existing roads. this "L shaped" structure to me looks like a place were 2 separate road way would connect, one "express" way just between the Studios and Epcot's Intentional gateway and then a secondary spur off to the Caribbean Beach Resort, and potentially the Port Orleans, Old Key West, ans Saratoga Springs resorts as well
well if this is the case, make another drawing showing 2 lines coming out of the North CBR "V" one going south to the large CBR building and another going east out the back side to the large "DVC" building

rfc0001

The plans so ponds on both sides of that gravel strip so it's definitely being purposely constructed for reasons other than construction and it is perfectly parallel with the line heading from the north.
Yeah, agree they wouldn't build a gravel road through an existing retention pond if they could just build one off to the side, so would seem to indicate that.

TiggerDad

We don't have to imagine where it will end up if you can precisely continue that line down. The only question is whether @P_Radden is right about the bridge in the middle (as I think too) or parking lots on either end of the lake. Since you seem to have the map skills that I lack, I was hoping you could show us exactly where that line would intersect the bridge and the far end of the lake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom